October 28th, 2010

Meek says rumors of deal with Clinton 'absolutely not true'

(CNN) – Rep. Kendrick Meek said it is "absolutely not true" that he ever agreed to any kind of deal with former President Bill Clinton to drop out of the Florida Senate race, in an interview shortly before 9 p.m. ET Thursday with CNN contributor Roland S. Martin.

"The president came down to do an event for me in Orlando and St. Petersburg. We talk politics all the time. He said I heard this thing about you getting out. I said, 'I'm not getting out.' I said Charlie Crist needs to get out of the race. And that was that," Meek said.

"The whole thing about a chartered plane is untrue. The whole thing about a rally planned is untrue. This whole thing, I don't know where it came from. I know the discussions I had with the president wasn't about some sort of wrapped deal with me getting out of the race. I'm not getting out the race," Meek said.

When asked whether it was true that he confirmed twice to Clinton that he would get out, Meek said: "Not true. Absolutely not true. That's just where it is. That's not the case."

Filed under: 2010 • Bill Clinton • Kendrick Meek
  1. LeopardSeal

You can tell a lot about someone by the company they keep.

October 28, 2010 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  2. T'SAH from Virginia

Okay – this is getting quite ugly!!! To suggest a candidate should drop out that is beating you is a little crazy! I like Meek's fight but at some time, you have to throw in the towel.

If Crist quit – the voters will move toward Rubio – Period!! Meek may get some votes but he will not get Crist’s entire 35% – maybe 5%. Add back 5% to his 15% and you got 20%. Even if you give Meek HALF of Crist's 35% – Meek will have 15+17.5%=32.5% and Rubio will get the rest? It does not add up!!!

Whether or not it is a rumor, Meek needs to make a move now and not be SALTY about it. I truly believe someone asked him to bow out!!!

At this time, if I lived in FL – as an African American – I will be CONFUSED and hurt!! I would be hurt because I want Meek to give me a signal and a suggestion as to who I should support and Confused about which way to go if he does NOT!! I do not want to WASTE my VOTE!

This is T'SAH from Virginia and the race in FL is getting STICKY!!

October 28, 2010 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  3. Pete

This is another rumor the Repugs would love to be true.Another crooked Cuban running around disquised as a politician.Miami when are you going to wake up,almost all,I mean all Cubans in politics are CROOKED!!

October 28, 2010 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  4. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Democrats, black, white or hispanic stand behind Crist. Meeks can't win, won't win, so make your vote count. This is the 11hour of power because Republicans are counting on Rubio winning if you don't back Crist. Tell them, not this time. Crist stands alone because he supported the American people and Republicans called him out for supporting Obama, not so, he supported the American people, you and I. Make your vote count, loud and clear to the Republican party.

October 28, 2010 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  5. b

thank you kendrick....THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 28, 2010 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  6. Sherri W.W.

I do not believe for a minute that former Pres.Clinton would ask such a thing!~I imagine he feels like I do~I wish K.Meek could win,but if not.I certinly would prefer to see C.Christ in there than Rubio! Any day!

October 28, 2010 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  7. barry

sure it's true. Just like the Sestak thing is true as well as the other time Obama pulled this in Colorado. Obama is a thug he has Clinton doing this. I can't wait until Issa starts his investigation of Obama here in a few days. This President will be impeached. He's a Chicago thug and will be brought to justice.

October 28, 2010 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  8. Anonymous

Mr. Meek needs to drop out of the race to give Mr. Crist to fight head on with Rubio. Mr. Meek does not have a chance
    to win. Give Mr. Crist a chance to take Florida Senate race.

October 28, 2010 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  9. Outsource Me Thx GOP

Give it up Meek. Sorry 15% = no chance.

October 28, 2010 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  10. Anonymous

We have had enough ; these two men have been friends for years; can we move on ?

October 28, 2010 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  11. rese

that really makes me mad i will not vote for christ ever i would just say at home dont tell me who to vote for he will still lose

October 29, 2010 04:15 am at 4:15 am |