October 29th, 2010

Poll shows surge for O'Donnell in Delaware

(CNN) - A surprising new Senate poll in Delaware shows Republican Christine O'Donnell may be in striking distance of Democrat Chris Coons.

According to the new survey from Monmouth University, the surprise Republican nominee is only 10 points behind Coons, drawing 41 percent of the vote. In a previous Monmouth poll conducted two weeks ago, O'Donnell trailed by 19 points.

But the latest Monmouth survey differs substantially from two other recent polls, including a Farleigh Dickinson survey released Thursday that showed a 21-point advantage for Coons and a CNN/Time poll released earlier this month that indicated a 19-point lead for Coons.

The latest Monmouth poll surveyed 1,171 voters between October 25-27 and carries a sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Check out the latest polls in the CNN Polling Center

Filed under: Chris Coons • Christine O'Donnell • Delaware • Polls
  1. Whatgarbage61

I truly believe these Tea Party fanatics in Delaware would vote a lamp shade into office if said lamp shade promised not to raise their taxes for any reason, ever. If she wins, enjoy your entry into the "Mississippi third-world look-alike contest."

October 29, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  2. Republicans is smart in the head area

Wow this is exciting! Instead of getting slaughtered she's only going to get clobbered! Love how the right wing knuckle draggers are trying to spin this as a potential victory.

October 29, 2010 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  3. T-Pat

Good lord, why would people elect a Palin clone. If she does pull this off, I fear for our country's safety. Her winning is a lose-lose no matter the party.

October 29, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  4. No way!

I live in DE and I don't know anyone who plans on voting for that idiot. I know I will be there to vote against her on Tuesday.

October 29, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  5. harleydavidson

Women should consider voting for Christine only to send a statement to the women trashers who call women b*tches, w*ores, and any degrating names...such words are in close proximity to the N word.

If you do so, politicians will be less inclined to resort to such indignity.

If you don't , then you can only blame yourself if you, your mother, your daughters are ever called these names.

it's incredible that many women accept this.

October 29, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  6. MJG

@nospingrl, "Gore *(Coons family business) makes products that they will make millions from if the Energy Bill if it passes"

At least it's not a WAR FOR OIL that made the CHENEY'S, BUSHES, ROVES, RUMSFELDS etc. RICH and will not cost anyone THEIR LIFE! Didn't see anyone trying to RECUSE themselves. Just submit that OVERCHARGED invoice to the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT to get PAID in addition to the OIL. Idiot!

October 29, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  7. thomas

Outside MONEY !

October 29, 2010 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  8. richunix

TSUNAMI WARNING: Expected loss of Socialist Democrats EXTENSIVE Nice opening line, so where do the “Sky is falling Republicans” come in as? Democrats are neither RATS nor Socialist leftist…people are. Fear mongers are the worse type, they know nothing of the subject they talk about and interject there silly assed belief. I do agree we need checks and balances in government, not just one party rule and that goes for both sides. I served in the Military and I understood the oath of Office that I raised my right hand to. It clearly states:

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God

No were in my oath does it state” Only the political party and President I like, or Officer that I think are really cool. As a senior NCO, I lead soldiers in battle and I obeyed my senior Officer appointed above me, never once did I preamble my response with “Oh by the way are you a bleeding heart tree-hugging DemocRATS”. We are all American, good or bad; black or white and we all have one common goal “To be American” Both the Democrats and Republican do need to take heed of what the average American citizen is trying to saying. So get out and vote. But if your candidate doesn’t win, then be an American, by showing support to the candidate that won.

October 29, 2010 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  9. James, AL

No way that poll is accurate. I do believe in miracles, but this just is not true. If Coons had a 21 point lead and no major errors on his part, then it is highly unlikely that she pulled within ten points unless the undecided voter margins were that wide. I don't think so!

GO VOTE DEMS!!!

October 29, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  10. MrsNutt

I'm flabbergasted that anyone is pulling for someone who continually states that she's going to Washington to defend the Constitution – that she is an expert on the Constitution – she has a degree in Constitutional Government & yet knows nothing about the First Amendment. Absolutely Amazing. Y'all get what you deserve. Good Luck Delaware! You're gonna NEEEEEEEED IT!

October 29, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  11. amanda

You Republicans can come on here and trash Liberals all you want, it doesn't change the fact that this woman is a moron when it comes to politics. Even if all the things you say about Liberals are true, a nut is still a nut regardless of its political affiliation.

October 29, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  12. Randy

Isn't she the anti-masterbation candidate? She was on MTV special a few years ago about teens and sex.

October 29, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  13. S. Studenberg

I just don`t get Americans. You elect a man to be president of the United States, to correct a mess made by the previous President over an eight years period, and you are going to re-elect the same insane collection of morons who got you in this mess to begin with, after only two years. You are going to give control of the House and possibly the Senate to a party responsible for this mess, most of your deficit, and the money given to Banks, before this government was even elected. Perhaps you really deserve to be in this mess. After all, someone wiser than I said that a Country only gets the governement it deserves.

October 29, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  14. barry

It would be funny to see O'Donnell pull this win off.

October 29, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  15. jatkinson

We should thank odonell. If she gets elected, all the rules have changed. You can be retarded legally and still have a shot to help rule the government. shouldn't you know the laws before you try to make some new ones. Guess not all you have to do is show some leg and teeth.

October 29, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  16. Julie

If this is at all true then I'm REALLY happy I don't live in Delaware because the people there must be morons.

October 29, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  17. Lynn

You have to be kidding? She's an idiot just like Sarah Palin. Neither one can put a rational thought together unless it's written on their hands beforehand. I'm surprised she hasn't tried Sarah Palin's wink, wink.

If this is the best the Tea Party has offer, then this country is in deep trouble.

October 29, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  18. Rich

When ignorance is king we are doomed.

October 29, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  19. FreeThink

But how could anyone vote for her after being basically told not to by CNN, MSNBC, CBS. You mean that there actually are people out there that don't do exactly what the liberal media tells them?

October 29, 2010 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  20. TwoPartyFail

WITCHCRAFT! Its the only explanation! Even a casually interested voter would want someone capable of recognizing rights guaranteed by the constitution. How do Delewarans expect a candidate who is entirely useless in public forum to represent them in any capacity?

I feel a little bad for the Tea Party voters, what the hell is their leadership thinking here? A victory with her would only provide fodder for years of mockery.

October 29, 2010 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  21. Sandra Taylor

As the education system in this country gets cut and cut and squeezed, we're producing stupid kids. Stupid kids grow up and vote for stupid people because they can't understand the smart ones.

October 29, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  22. FLane

The state of Delaware deserves exactly what they get...

October 29, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  23. neighboring state

Hahaha Maybe she's going around the state putting spells on the voters!

October 29, 2010 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  24. JoJo

I believe Christine can and should win. I proudly contributed to her campaign online a month ago. She has the values and ethics to make an excellent U. S. Senator. When she and other insightful Republicans hopefully take office in January, at last the country wil be able to undo some of the atrocities that the Obama Administation and the left-wing Congress have perpetrated on us.

October 29, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  25. Alaskan Sourdough

It's not that the Democrats are trashing women, we're exposing the these whacked out women who dabbled in witchcraft and think that there are mice with fully functioning human brains...WHAT?!?!?!... or those who promote violence by threatening to use their second amendment rights to incite a revolution...These are right wing whacko ideas! Then of course there are the thugs who promote violence by stomping the heads of those exercising their first amendment rights or handcuff reporters for trying to get an interview. Don't worry we're listening and we'll be voting against these whacked out people.

October 29, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |