November 1st, 2010

Barbour: Presidential considerations start tomorrow

(CNN) - Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour reiterated his pledge to help Republican gubernatorial candidates until very end, telling CNN Chief National Correspondent John King on Monday that he will start to think about a potential 2012 presidential run only after Tuesday's election results come in.

"I've said from the very beginning, I wasn't gonna do anything about anything except governors' races through tomorrow. We can't wait 'til 2012 to start taking our country back," the Republican Governors Association (RGA) chairman said.

The RGA head has been extremely active this election cycle, raising money and campaigning for Republican gubernatorial candidates across the country. But Barbour has made no bones about his own future political ambitions.

"I'm gonna sit down after tomorrow and see if there's anything to think about. But I don't feel any time pressure over the next few weeks or months, we'll see if Marsha thinks it's a good idea and whether others think it's a good idea," Barbour said in an interview that aired on CNN's John King, USA Monday.

Barbour also offered a terse "no" at the suggestion that he would try to unseat Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman Michael Steel next year, as some have speculated.

"As governor of Mississippi I have a full time job…I couldn't do that unless I resigned as governor of Mississippi which I'm certainly not about to do," Barbour said.

Barbour previously served as RNC chairman from 1993 to 1997.

Filed under: 2010 • 2012 • Haley Barbour • John King USA
  1. curtther

Haley Bourbor and Chris Christie only should run to lose weight and both have as much chance to be president as Bob Barker does.

November 1, 2010 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  2. Debrah Rochon

Where do you get off, that this is your country to take back! When it's all said and done, GOD will take his country back!

November 1, 2010 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  3. Doris

Obama is our president now and in four years!!!

November 1, 2010 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  4. Snow

Anyone would be an improvement over this clown we have in the White House right now.

November 1, 2010 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  5. Wall Street Ballet

So the 2012 loser considerations start tomorrow. Obama 2012

November 1, 2010 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  6. thomas

Cant wait ,
    he will turn our public schools into Casinos !
    Maybe he will put Jack Abernof back to work.

November 2, 2010 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  7. Name nelley

Carmam he would make a gutsy president

November 2, 2010 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  8. barry

After tomorrow Pelosi is in the trunk, Reid is retired. We ffinish cleaning up this mess defeating obama in 2012. We really need Hillary!

November 2, 2010 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  9. jules sand-perkins

Why not Gov. Barbour for president?
    I was born in Mississippi. Maybe it's a good time to honor all the good things about that state.
    I've paid my dues to the civil rights movement since the 1950s, and I still do so.
    Right now, America needs some reality after Obama's messing up his one-term presidency with Marxist/Maoist economic daydreams.

November 2, 2010 03:44 am at 3:44 am |
  10. Nonie Williams

I am a 62y/o black woman from Louisiana, here in the deep south we have shared some of the same problems. I watched Haley Barbour during the BP problems in the gulf and admired his professionalism, unlike the joke we have here in Louisiana, I think Mr. Barbour will make a fine President, I will certainly vote for him when he runs in 2016 right after President Obama finish his second term.

November 2, 2010 05:00 am at 5:00 am |
  11. Marie MD

Fat (I mean that literally) chance that you will be elected anything. You hid from the President while he was visiting the area after the bp Gulf disaster so that you could go to a picnic in Central Park while accusing and lying about the President's visits and what he was doing.

November 2, 2010 06:14 am at 6:14 am |
  12. smc

Barbour needs to get back to educating the least educated state in the country, and stop taking all that federal welfare for his state if he's so opposed to federal spending. He'd make the ideal hypocrite RNC Chair for the party of hypocrisy.

November 2, 2010 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  13. Dominican mama 4 Obama

But Barbour has made no bones about his own future political ambitions.
    -------------------------------------------------–
    Barbour you need to get back on your meds as you're completely delusional if you think America wants you and your bigoted double-wide behind, and your trail and trials of corruption anywhere near the White House. Stay in the backwaters of Mississippi and hope that the LAW doesn't focus it's spotlight on you and your little in-state shenanigans.
    It's nice to have dreams though, but you gotta wake up sooner rather than later in your case. Nutjob.

November 2, 2010 08:13 am at 8:13 am |