November 1st, 2010

Paladino walks out of interview

(CNN) - Carl Paladino, the Republican gubernatorial candidate in New York, cut short a television interview with CNN affiliate WCAX after the reporter repeatedly asked whether recent remarks he made about New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand are "sexist."

Filed under: 2010 • Carl Paladino
  1. Brad USNR

I love the way many here call others names. I know nothing of Palidino. Did not know he was a Repub til I read some of the comments. He made it clear he did not want to talk of the subject that the "girl" was pushing. He answered it anyhow. She continued to push and was warned. He then walked. A few here form the oppisite side as Pala agreed with him walking as do I. Many others take the very childish route of name calling and labeling. Not only is this very juvinile but counter productive to solving any problems that the country has at this time. We call our polititions children for not being able to put differances aside and look at yourselves. Instead of focus on our differances try to focus in on how we are alike and build bridges from there.

November 1, 2010 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  2. Grant

I'm actually quite liberal but it seems to me that, objectively speaking, the interviewer takes a personal and biased interest in accusing Mr. Paladino of being sexist. I know that sometimes I say things that could be construed as sexist or racist under the magnifying glass, but I also know just how I am feeling when I say them. To me Mr Paladino seems like a guy who is being taken out of context on this occasion, whether he's guilty of other things or not. With that said, I don't think any particulary likes being honest only to have their words picked apart in that fashion. There are men who are sexist and then there are women who are sexist as well.

November 1, 2010 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  3. StarMan

Me and my marbles are going home-waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

November 1, 2010 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  4. AnyRealNews

The reporter is just trying to stir up a controversy the night before the election. What he said IS NOT an issue that voters really need to know about tonight. She asked, he gave his answer. She was not going to stop asking the SAME THING unless he admitted that it was a sexist remark. I am female and I don't think what he said was a big deal. He could have said that she was acting like a "little kid", he couldn't have said that she was acting like a "little boy". CNN is just trying to stir up drama at the last minute, and the reporter seems to be trying to make a name for herself.

November 1, 2010 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  5. Karen

I don't blame him for walking off. I wish we could have one interview addressing the actual issues instead of the man having to waste time answering the questions that are purposely asked to bait him. Andrew Cuomo does not speak to the issues and I would appreciate it if the media could stick to the issues at hand instead of acting like the mean kids in high school. New York State is in big trouble and I am sick to my stomach that corrupt Andrew Cuomo is likely to be our next Governor. It is little comfort to me that he is not getting my vote because upstate New Yorkers do not have a voice.

November 1, 2010 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  6. Jane

If all I knew about Paladino was this little snippet, I would say the media is stupid and trivial and the interviewer is being unprofessional. He is saying he wants Gillebrand to have a mind of her own. That to me is pro-woman. Maybe his wording wasn't the best, but he was saying that people, women, should stand up for themselves and not do the bidding of others, in this case, men of power.

November 1, 2010 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  7. svscnn

I wouldn't touch Carl Paladino or any other tea-party candidate with a ten-foot pole, but come on. How many times was she going to ask the same question, get his answer, and just ask it again? She was obviously baiting him so she could attempt to bury him.

Non-story.

November 1, 2010 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  8. james

Democrats are not as bright as republicans. I feel sorry for them. She is concerned about a sexist remark and lives in NY???What about Marxism? NY'orkers are use to them. I really do feel sorry for the abortionist party..However, I feel sorrier for their victims...the UNBORN CHILD! Conservatives...LETS KICK THEIR BUTTS ON ELECTION DAY!!

November 1, 2010 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  9. John M

If the press wasn't so biased maybe it would make more sense to talk to them. The fact is nearly all of the media is biased and will try to make anyone they interview look good or bad to further their agenda... Had this been a Democrat that question NEVER would have been asked by CNN...

November 1, 2010 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  10. DanteX

Sharron Angle. Carly Fiorina. Joe Miller. Christine O'Donnell. Carl Paladino. Sarah Palin. Wow – Taking a few letters from JUST the names these indiviuals ALONE and AMAZINGLY -then again NOT- you come-up with the EXACT phrase to describe ALL the bigoted, racist, right-wing, xenophobic Conservative Fascists that NOW constitute the Republican Party that resulted from the likes of Barry Goldwater, Richard Nixon, and Ronald Reagan: "AN APOCALYPSE OF IDIOTS." Who KNEW?!

November 1, 2010 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  11. Joe

This so-called reporter had no interest in discussing issues. She had a single topic, not all that important, that she nagged on and on about. This "gotcha" journalism, if you want to call it that, is becoming more and more prevalent. I'm glad he walked after asking her if she was going to address issues.

November 1, 2010 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  12. David

If I remember, the Democrat running for govenor in California , Jerry Brown, stated his appoinant was a "Whore". No real problem for him, so only liberal Democrats are not racist or sexist, only the conservatives are. Vote with your heart becasue this country is being divided greatly by our "HOPE" President

November 1, 2010 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  13. Anonymous

As a registered Conservative in NYS, I am not at all thrilled with Carl Paladino. In fact I think he is a lose cannon. But this WCAX reporter was out of line! It wasn't until Paladino was walking away that she decided to ask questions about the issues! He treated this woman better then I would have!

November 1, 2010 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  14. He was right

He was right to walk away. He already gave the answer but the reporter was trying to start debating with him by asking the same question over and over again. She should be taken off the air. Meanwhile, if that was a male junior senator, I'm sure Paladino would call him "a little boy," and noone would question sexism. In either case, there were bigger issues at stake and the reporter shouldn't have drilled on something this trivial.

November 1, 2010 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  15. Big Al

I'm no fan of Paladino. He is a thug and a tea party plant. But the reporter was more interested in picking on him than talking about the issues. "Do you think that calling her 'a little girl' was sexist?" "No, I did not." She cannot leave it at that. She must now punish. The immature little 20-something had to get her point across instead of doing her job as a reporter. When you take money for a service that you do not deliver, it is theft. This woman committed theft. Btw, women in media have an agenda like anyone else. She made a fool of herself and of CNN.

November 1, 2010 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  16. Jackson Flounder

It amazes me to see the libs gather and point fingers. The bottom line is that if America keeps heading down the path that the Democratic party has steered it down over the last 2 years, we will collapse. We keep printing money, stimulus after stimulus, bailouts, entitlement programs, obamacare, etc... and it's not working! It's going to be the end of America as we know it. The worst part? It's being orchestrated by our elected officials. THEY DON'T LIKE AMERICA. That's why Obama goes around the world bowing and apologizing to borderline terrorists for "how terrible" America is.

Obama's name isn't on the ballot, but his agenda is.

November 1, 2010 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  17. Thomas the Social Worker

Imagine if any of the Tea Party candidates ever got elected to office and was in serious negotiations with a leader of another nation. If they didn't like the way the negotiations were going they could just stomp out of the room, or, better yet, hold their breath until they turned blue – that'll show em you betcha! If you can't take the heat of public scrutiny no matter how fair or unfair you perceive it, get the heck outta the kitchen!!!!

November 1, 2010 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  18. john

Wow, great interview. From which mail order catalog did you receive your journalism degree?

November 1, 2010 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  19. EddyL

No loss at all since Paladine will be shuffling back to Buffalo soon.... what a loony loser of a GOP quack.

November 1, 2010 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  20. Elaine

Um..it IS an issue if he's stating sexist remarks. She had every right to ask again because he wasn't answering. And the fact that he disrespected her so bad just proved her point. What a joke.

It doesn't matter. New Yorkers aren't going to vote him in anyway. Cuomo has a 20 point lead on Paladino. I'm glad I'll be able to vote against this one tomorrow. Feels almost as good as voting against McCain/Palin.

November 1, 2010 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  21. cody3

Im not a big rightwing /teaparty fan but CNN should take note , lots of Americans are tired of this kind of reporting. she asked he answered and she kept pestering him when there was more valuable REAL info to discuss. I think she should be Fired, shes like a Reporterbully. "thats not the answer I want you to say so i'll keep ansking untill i make you look bad" she looks like a little girl who had her dolly taken away lol.

November 1, 2010 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  22. Royce

Maybe there should be "None of the Above" on the ballet and if "none" wins you have a run-off election with all new candidates....

November 1, 2010 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  23. cody3

Fire her , he answered and she tried to corner him and bully him into the answer she wanted. he should have just said, oh yes It was very much a se3xist remark. Kind of like when your out with your buddys and one of them wont take a shot , hes automatically named "Sally" sooooo what , who cares

November 1, 2010 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  24. BD70

Good he walked away. Now keep going Paladino and don't come back.

November 1, 2010 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  25. La

While I do agree Paladino is a jerk overall,and while I do feel that he is just part of the big republican/ tea party Obama head-hunting clan.....I also feel like the reporter should have moved onto another issue. Paladino already answered the question and only the voters should have to figure out what his attitude was saying. However, that wasn't enough to walk off. How is he supposed to be an elected official and not be able to handle annoyances like that?

November 1, 2010 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |