November 2nd, 2010

Exit Polls: Seniors break for the GOP

(CNN) – Midterm voters tend to be older than voters in general. But this year’s midterm voters aren’t just older than the voters who show up when the White House is up for grabs. They’re older than your typical midterm voter, period.

Seniors haven’t made up this big a share of voters since 1994. Twenty-four percent of those who cast ballots this year were over the age of 65 – and their support for Democrats has plummeted. Back in ’94, 48 percent of voters over age 65 backed Democratic candidates. In 2006 and ’08, 49 percent supported the party. This year, that number sank to 39 percent.

Seniors – who say they aren’t fans of the health care bill – have discovered a newfound fondness for the GOP: the Republican Party’s share of the senior vote soared from 48 percent last cycle to 58 percent this year.

1. DBA

I hope the seniors still love that GOP when the GOP tries to kill Medicare and privatize Social Security; I hope that my fellow seniors just loooove it when the GOPers shut down the gov and the SocSec checks stop coming.

So much GOPer love.....

I predict a giant case of "buyers' remorse" in a few months.

November 2, 2010 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  2. GaryB

I passed a tea party rally some weeks ago attended mostly by senior cuitizens. They said they were angry about government funded socialized medicine. I say, let's give them what they want. Just think how much money are country would save if we cut off Medicare. After all, by voting GOP, that's what they voted for.

November 2, 2010 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  3. Peter

I can't wait to see these senior's faces when the GOP starts cutting into their medicare and social security benefits.

November 2, 2010 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  4. usualone

I hope the White House realizes there are lots of seniors who still like the policies of the Democrats. The Republicans surely scared lots of seniors and people do get more conservative as they get older. But one must remember that in recent past mid-term elections the party in power has lost much in their mid-terms.

November 2, 2010 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  5. Mee

We seniors are willing to accept a cut on our checks to help our future children. Yes the GOP is what we are hoping will help our country get back on it's feet and save our country from the take over of pinheads.
    Depart from God and our country will fall.

November 2, 2010 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  6. Sue

We will know that is true when we see them on the streets of Orlando and the Las Vegas strip pushing grocery carts
    next summer after Angle and the tea party republicans discontinues medicare.

November 2, 2010 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  7. Barry

I guess this proves that Alzheimer's disease has reached epidemic proportions in this country. I think that seniors should take mandatory mental tests as they age in order to vote, just as they are re-tested in order to drive.

November 2, 2010 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |