November 2nd, 2010

No African-Americans in next U.S. Senate

New York (CNN) – Despite record election achievements by African-Americans in the House, the United States Senate will not have an African-American in its ranks.

All three black Senate candidates, Kendrick Meek (D-FL), Alvin Greene (D-SC) and Mike Thurmond (D-GA) are projected to lose tonight. The only incumbent black senator, Roland Burris (D-IL), is retiring.

Only six black senators have served: three Republicans and three Democrats, including the future President Barack Obama (D-IL).

There have been 118 voting members of Congress who are African-American. This year the GOP has 14 African-Americans on the ballot, any one of which could become the first black Republican in the house since 2003.

There are 41 African-American Democrats in Congress of which most are running in majority black districts. CNN projects Alabama sent its first African-American woman to Congress tonight with the election of Terri Sewell in the state's 7th district. She is a Democrat.

Filed under: 2010 • Senate
  1. R

This is what peeves me about these articles. I'm an Asian American and IMO WE are underrepresented. But here's the thing am I even looking at that? For crying out loud I don't care what color you are as long as you get things done for the American people!!!!

November 2, 2010 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Good riddance.

November 2, 2010 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  3. Tarsha Wilkerson

Well that is great because what the heck have the dems been doing since they had power not a thing thats why i voted republican and alot of other blacks are doing the same. We have gotten tired of taking care of the people on welfare that will not try to get a job. Thats what the dems for they help them and take away from my family and give to them.

November 2, 2010 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  4. rp

No African American Republicans ever in the House, Corey? Tell that to JC Watt R-OK for one. I think he'd be surprised. Before you make such a statement, try backing it up with facts. It'll help your POV.

November 2, 2010 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  5. Wall Street Ballet

Just not the right year, there will be others I guarantee it.

November 2, 2010 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  6. Mike

Race does matter!! The underlying premise of the Republican Party and it's "special cousin" the Tea Party is the white anglo saxon protestant mentality, and I'm a white anglo saxon.

November 2, 2010 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  7. florida voter

It is what it is.

November 2, 2010 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  8. USA

I think the results of this elections is going to make it easier for President Obama to govern.

We all should be represented in a democratic goverment so ideas get better debated and the truth is exposed.

Let's see what ideas the new comers are bringing, remember, we've already tried the past and the president is smart.

November 2, 2010 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  9. Steve

If you take notice on the ballots there is not one indication of race by the candidates. This has nothing to do with race and more to do with the irresponsible spending that our current leaders are doing....God bless America and all the freedoms we have....I am so thankful that I live in a country that allows me the freedom to vote without pressure of being killed or blown up in the process...as my Dad always says, if you don't like it, leave....

November 2, 2010 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  10. NameTone

Again the white man wins .... People are still ignorant...... Are government is turning more into what most of our ancestors were running away from.....and of equality in our country lol yeah when bigs fly

November 2, 2010 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  11. Bubba Redding

No Africans? How could that be? Al Sharpton might have something to say about this/

November 2, 2010 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  12. Jacq

November 2, 2010 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  13. Jeff

Don't get too cocky, racist posters. President Obama is something that Rand Paul, Sarah Palin, O'donnell, Haley Barbour,
    John Boehner, John McCain, Sharon Angle, is not and that is PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
    Now go and drink your tea and get prepared to pay $5.00 per gallon of gas at your local station again. The tea partiers won't be there to help you then. (I'm white by the way).

November 2, 2010 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  14. Jacq

November 2, 2010 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  15. Shane

@ Corey

Gary Frank (R-CT) is African American, he served in the House in the 90's.

November 2, 2010 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  16. Jacq

I say screw Obama the Dems should lose he sat up there in the White House and got lazy with the message,Tim Kaine needs to step down he did a sorry job if you ask me,I'm black by the way..

November 2, 2010 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  17. Anonymous

I'm white and I vote for truth, integrity, and founding father values. White, black, pink or purple, male or female, rich or poor, educated or not...none of this matters. When will America stop voting for their race or their pocket book and start voting for what is pure, lovely, honest, of good report, virtuous, praiseworthy?

November 2, 2010 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  18. Jennifer

Are there any Polish-Russian-Welsh-English-Americans in the Senate? If not, it must be because of their race!

I, as a Polish-Russian-Welsh-English-American, am offended by this. Shame on the voters. Shaaaaaaaaame.

/sarcasm

November 2, 2010 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  19. Pam

Unfortunately this country will never not let "race" play a part in everything that happens. Trust me, nobody "wanted their country back" when Pres. Bush was in office. All of the closet racist bigot clowns experienced a grand mal when a black man was elected president. They were okay with black people getting a couple of key offices but nothing too big!!! When a black person was voted in to the highest nation in the world they couldn't handle it. Don't think for a moment this is not about race. If Pres O had been a young white man they would have not been rabid sheet heads running around talking like the low bred fools they are. This nation was built on the backs of black slaves. It may be a majority white nation but it's not christian. I haven't seen any christian acts since this president took office. Nothing but a bunch of hypocrites. Jesus would never let these racist vipers into heaven.

November 2, 2010 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  20. ian

Ok whiners. How many black senator candidates have you voted for. It's a democracy at work. If you want black senators just for the sake if having black senators. Than you're more ignorant than any racist I've heard of.

November 2, 2010 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  21. totte

TJ writes that there has never been a republican african american in the house. Never since 2003?? If you want to make it a matter of race – get the facts right. The more mature audience pay more attention to policy and political platform.

November 2, 2010 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  22. Ashley

This is very heartbreaking, as a country some people think that we have made so much racial progress, but this is evidence that there is still a ways to go.
    To all those commenting that race doesn't matter or that we should just ignore race, and the need for descriptive representation; you are sadly mistaken. A lot of people who want to avoid discussing race, you have to educate yourselves. Race has been one of the most significant aspects of the foundation of America as well as its laws. People have used race to justify slavery and centuries of violence, so we can't just ignore its affects now. It affects certain marginalized races (NOT minorities) ability to amass wealth,their educational outcomes and access to political opportunity. Yes even all these years later.
    Read “When Affirmative Action was white” Ira Katznelson.

November 2, 2010 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  23. Tavius

Its sad who people is looking at skin tone. very sad !

November 2, 2010 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  24. LT

It's very sad that WHITE people who call themselves Christians aren't exhibiting Christian behavior. We are supposed to love. Love is patient, kind, it does not envy. If the 'Brown' President is SO bad; maybe you should be praying that God touch his heart and give him wisdom to run the mess of the country he inherited from the Bush Administration.MR. PRESIDENT Obama did NOT cause all of these problems just since he's been in office; some of these problems were there when he started his job as President. I pray that God touches every racist heart that exists, especially those who call themselves WHITE Christians.There is ONE Lord, ONE faith, and ONE baptism. Christianity does NOT have a color.

November 2, 2010 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  25. W O W!!

It's sad to see people care more about pleasing themselves than pleasing Our Father In Heaven. White Christian Americans this, Brown Muslim President that. Stop for a second, just think, your Father In Heaven is watching you. It even took for Our Lord to allow his only son, who was on earth healing, loving and pleasing him to die for our sins and all you can think about, White Christian, is a Brown Muslim and 2012. I hope your purpose isn't over before then. Continued Blessings...

November 2, 2010 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |