November 2nd, 2010

No African-Americans in next U.S. Senate

New York (CNN) – Despite record election achievements by African-Americans in the House, the United States Senate will not have an African-American in its ranks.

All three black Senate candidates, Kendrick Meek (D-FL), Alvin Greene (D-SC) and Mike Thurmond (D-GA) are projected to lose tonight. The only incumbent black senator, Roland Burris (D-IL), is retiring.

There have been 118 voting members of Congress who are African-American. This year the GOP has 14 African-Americans on the ballot, any one of which could become the first black Republican in the house since 2003.

There are 41 African-American Democrats in Congress of which most are running in majority black districts. CNN projects Alabama sent its first African-American woman to Congress tonight with the election of Terri Sewell in the state's 7th district. She is a Democrat.

Filed under: 2010 • Senate
  1. mike

not one person in washington can say that they are voting with or for for the american people they have to many special intrest groups up their bungholes. if they really represented us they wold make what we make an hour or less. lets vote ourselves another pay raise without the american jobs or the taxes to back them up. who knows maybe the chinese will vote for an american withholding tax

November 3, 2010 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  2. Anonymous

This isn't about race at all, so stop making it look as if it is.

November 3, 2010 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  3. Jb

Why are we still looking at race? Thanks for constantly bringing it up CNN. What a joke. In a perfect CNN world people would vote by race, and by party affiliation not looking at individual candidates.

Lets move beyond and into the future, drop the racism its old- your just keeping it alive CNN

November 3, 2010 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  4. T'SAH from of Virginia

I'm African American and PROUD of President Obama!!!

CNN – Why would White America be concerned about an African American not being in the Senate???? African Americans aren't concerned because we already know why!! So why are you trying to start of FIGHT!!! Read the blogs and you will see what I am talking about!!!

This is T'sah from Virginia and I approve this message!!!

November 3, 2010 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  5. Swiftly

To those of you asking why it matters–presuming you're white, how would you feel if this was an all-black senate they were talking about?

November 3, 2010 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  6. Name cody

All of you obama supporters must be multi millionaires because I want to make an income for my family I want a president that will bring the economy back. Create jobs. I don't care if his a republican or a democrat. Fix the economy and stop spending.

November 3, 2010 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  7. Eric

While your headline is accurate, should it not also include; No Gays in the US Senate, No Muslims in the US Senate, No "English was not my first language Citizens" in the US Senate. The lack of diversity in our Government is tragic... I respect, sincerely, the struggles of Black Americans... That said, the time has long past to consider our country a two party, black or white, yes or no, State...

November 3, 2010 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  8. unclesmrgol

Geez guys, what's the problem? You still have two out of three branches of Government...

November 3, 2010 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  9. mike

the american revolution was about taxation without representation. now we have representation without realizeation

November 3, 2010 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  10. Sean

"Only six black senators have served: three Republicans and three Democrats, including the future President Barack Obama (D-IL). "

The future President Barack Obama?
    Freudian slip?

That he will actually have to start dealing with both parties, as opposed to only dealing with his?

November 3, 2010 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  11. ginger

whether there is a black in the senate or not, the fact remain that black politicians performs better than the so called whites.
    Barack Obama brought fresh blood into American politic, He energized the youths, tagged women along with his administration. For the Racially charged and almost dying Republican party, Michael steele has succeeded in revitalizing and lead them to victory. Yet he is not good enough for the white. America will forever be the rogue -nation it started as.
    It is amazing how the Republicans and indeed white Americans front religious ideal to win political favor, yet the remain the most evil minded people. AMERICA the world is watching. This time around you stand alone in a world where you are becoming a dying giant. Canada has taking Over from you as the most culturally diversed nation in the world.

November 3, 2010 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  12. chill on the hate yaar

@ LT well stated. You were probably referring to Cletus' statement.....White nation? White Christians take country back? from who? this is just so laughable but scary as I am reminded of the stupidity and hate in this country.

November 3, 2010 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  13. Praying for us All

It's times like this that brings out the true ugliness of a person. We are so quick to judge and call ourselves Christians, but I would be very careful calling oneself a Christian after talking such racist remarks against your own brother or sister. We are all created in Gods image, but I'm sure you know that being a Christian as the Christain person stated. I am not about to preach. But I dare to say America put Obama in the White House to fail. It was a mess when he got there and we knew it would take more than a couple of years to clean the mess up. So as much as I loved to see him as President, he was already setup to fail with the mess Bush left this country in. Grow up people regarless of who's president we still have a mess to clean up and it's going to take more than a day. So stop pointing the race finger making the devil happy.

November 3, 2010 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  14. Melaniki57

Look at the majority of these comments and you can see why. Black Americans, at what point do you get it? After all this time, all the history, all the years of marching, dying, rising, falling, demanding, pleading, yelling, screaming, riots, discussions, wounds, healing, do you see change? Even with a half black president, do you see change? Do you really believe you ever will under these conditions? Do you now get why Native Americans remained a separate and sovereign people, despite the hardships and continual struggle? They got it. This will not change because it can't. THEY can't. Figure out why and you'll be on your road to real freedom. Peace.

November 3, 2010 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  15. YeahOK

Right....because there are only two races in the United States, right?

November 3, 2010 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  16. Chip

In response to the gentleman who said there has never been a Republican African-American Congressman, there have actually been 25 Republican representatives and 1 Republican senator who were African-American. But, then again I can't blame you, It's logical to blame the party of the Emancipation Proclamation and the Civil Rights Act of 1965 for racism in America.

November 3, 2010 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  17. Franklin

Quit making everything about race. Politics are all about money, image, and who knows who. Why don't we quit trying to twist everything into a race issue and instead focus on the actual problems that exist in our government? If people actually payed attention to what politicians think and say as opposed to how they look (and how corrupt media sources, right and left, make them look), maybe we as a people would vote more capable politicians into office and eliminate the idiocracy and corruption that plagues our nation...

November 3, 2010 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  18. LaRoslyn Aaron

God is still good through it all. I, personally am not worried because God will see us through. I am a black/indian young woman and I am disgusted by all this race talk. All of my life I have been viewed by certain people as if I am below them or something because of my dark skin, long hair, and high cheek bones. It's not right. I have met some of the coolest white people and I love them to death. But like today, I have had some to stare at me with pure hatred in their eyes and its not right. I'm educated, I own a business, I have no record and I'm not on welfare. I graduated with a 3.75 In college, but it does not matter. Color is still a major factor in this society. God bless Obama and God help us all.

November 3, 2010 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  19. DanteX

Corey writes

"Did you know that there has never been a republican african american in the house of reps? Never. I think that would be an interesting occurance."

Wrong. John C. Watts from the State of Oklahoma served in the U. S. House of Representatives from 1995 to 2003 was a Republican representing Oklahoma's Fourth (4th) Congressional District.

November 3, 2010 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  20. ZigZag

Its a shame how some american white people refuse to see the job that Obama and the Democrats have done since getting in power. When they took over the economy was in a terrible condition, look at it now its steadily growing. Now that they are confortable they just cannot stand the fact that he has a achieved and want to put the GOP back to ruin the economy again. People need to be patient. Go Obama, Yes we can!

November 3, 2010 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  21. Kevin

3 is a pretty small sample size. Considering that they were all democrats and democrats were losing alot tonight I don't think is any great statement on our country. Now 10-15 both R and D.. ok. But 3?

November 3, 2010 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  22. teresa

It is ridiculous that this is even pointed out!

November 3, 2010 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  23. truth4u

Obama – you still head N in charge – you are THE PRESIDENT. Use yo veto power baby if necessary! If you don't get nothing accomplished you will still be doing better than Bush did...

November 3, 2010 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  24. vlwall

"Only six black senators have served: three Republicans and three Democrats, including the future President Barack Obama (D-IL)."

I'm confused. Future President Barack Obama. I thought he was already president. Am I in time warp?

November 3, 2010 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  25. Paul

@Corey
    JC Watts from Oklahoma served in the House of Rep from 1995-2003 and was an African American

November 3, 2010 12:39 am at 12:39 am |