November 3rd, 2010

Bush says Kanye moment 'disgusting'

(CNN) – Long before rapper Kanye West ruined musician Taylor Swift's night at the 2009 MTV Music Awards, he single-handedly caused one of the lowest points in George W. Bush's presidency.

That's according to the former president in an interview with NBC's Matt Lauer, during which he said West's unexpected outburst during a 2005 Hurricane Katrina telethon amounted to "one of the most disgusting moments in my presidency."

"That [means] 'he's a racist,' " Bush tells Lauer in an upcoming interview, according to the Today Show Web site "And I didn't appreciate it then. I don't appreciate it now. I resent it, it's not true."

Pressed if Bush meant to say that the West moment was more difficult for him to deal with than witnessing the devastating destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina, Bush said no.

"I also make it clear that the misery in Louisiana affected me deeply as well," Bush said.

"There's a lot of tough moments in the book. And it was a disgusting moment, pure and simple."
During the widely-viewed 2005 Concert for Hurricane Relief, West said in an unscripted moment said that "George Bush doesn't care about black people." Telethon producers quickly cut West's microphone before he could say more.

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Latisha

All I want to say is freedom of speech everyone is entitled to his or her on opinion

Actions speak louder than words

November 3, 2010 05:47 am at 5:47 am |
  2. matt

Bush was just miffed that his security detail didn't displace Kanye to the "designated protest zone" in time. Such thin skin for a politician, those protest zones- usually a mile or so away from Bush and crew- were just the beginning of the erosion of our civil liberties. A legacy of which only a Bush could be proud.

November 3, 2010 05:48 am at 5:48 am |
  3. Latisha

Meant own, my apology

November 3, 2010 05:48 am at 5:48 am |
  4. Jamie

So accusations from a mentally unbalanced musician were more upsetting to Bush than the death and destruction caused on his watch and worsened by his inaction and woeful lack of leadership? That says it all.

November 3, 2010 06:02 am at 6:02 am |
  5. Carl

West was and is an idiot. GWB has more class than that lowlife will ever have.

November 3, 2010 06:07 am at 6:07 am |
  6. AJ

No, really Gorgie, the most disgusting part of the Bush Presidency was Bush.

November 3, 2010 06:16 am at 6:16 am |
  7. kim malloy

Bush doesn't get the word reality. He didn't do much to help the Katrina victims, or the USA when he was president. What a slacker he is!

November 3, 2010 06:18 am at 6:18 am |
  8. Acaraho

And he had many disgusting moments in his presidency, mostly created by himself.

November 3, 2010 06:23 am at 6:23 am |
  9. lforlegend

Bush himself was disgusting. The man, West, called it the way he saw it, that was his opinion and thta's that. Let him go back to his ranch in TX and cut down some more bushes.

November 3, 2010 06:48 am at 6:48 am |
  10. Mel B

interesting that he speaks now, not when it happened.

November 3, 2010 06:54 am at 6:54 am |
  11. hi hater

first of all, love how cnn dug deep in its archives to find a fitting photo of bush kind of, sort of next to a black person. props to whoever found the photo- I'm sure there weren't many to choose from. You see I believe what Bush did to the survivors of Katrina is disgusting. The man flew right over them like nothing happened. People didn't care – where was everyone to help? Bush don't be angry with Kanye cause he has no fear of telling the truth. PS- Bush this won't help book sales.

November 3, 2010 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  12. Dave

I don't believe that Bush is a racist and I do believe that West is pretty much an idiot looking for free press. However, Bush is still the worst President in our nation's history and the damage his ineptitude and arrogance caused will be felt for years to come.

November 3, 2010 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  13. The Dude

sometimes the truth is disgusting

November 3, 2010 07:02 am at 7:02 am |
  14. Brandon

Kanye spoke the truth! Of course he would resent the comment, if I were Bush I would too! Bush needs to go back into hiding nothing he has to say could be remotely relevant at the moment.

November 3, 2010 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  15. Kenyotta

Wait...Kanye caused the most disgusting moment in his presidency? Bush is still delusional. I've tried to give him a chance to disappear into the annals of history, but he just won't go.

November 3, 2010 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  16. Robert W.

It looks to me like Kanye West is not the best at what he does so the only way he knows to get into the press is by doing something controversial.

November 3, 2010 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  17. Cfrench

The truth hurts, huh George? Your administrations complete apathy to Katrina did nothing but further demonstrate the GOP's utter contempt for minorities, especially black people.

November 3, 2010 07:35 am at 7:35 am |
  18. AB Baltimore MD

I think the disgusting period in American political history was the election and administration of the George W. Bush presidency for eight years!! The most disgusting aspect of Bush's presidency was his deception of the American public with respect to the war in Iraq. He lied to American people about the reasons for invasion of Iraq. Another disgusting aspect was his failure and neglect of the gulf hurricane Katrina disaster situation. Kanye West merely high lighted the failures of the Bush administration with respect to the Katrina disaster.

November 3, 2010 07:43 am at 7:43 am |
  19. D. Bunker

Actions speak louder than words, Mr. Bush.

November 3, 2010 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  20. Ken in NC

I'm a Black Democrat that often times disagreed with positions held by former President Bush, I always did respect his position as President. As such, there were things he either couldn't or wouldn't say. I am not in his position so I can say that Kanye West is nothing more than an "Uncooth racist thug". He has no respect or manners. He has no ability to control his emotions. He, like a lot of people, thinks he can say whatever he may choose to say and if he is rebuked for it he can simply say "I'm sorry" and things would be fine. He is wrong.

November 3, 2010 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  21. cm

oh the repulicans are back, who the heck cares what bush thinks. Further more who is more disgusting than this bag of crap. It is some stupid A people in the country. Would someone tell Benett that Preslident Obama is not only Rolands President buy HIS too. Thats Martin for getting his Old A straight last night. Until some of these old white head white kick over this country will get better. God forgive me but i Hope it's sooner than later.

November 3, 2010 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  22. Kathy

Your entire presidency was disgusting! Yeah, you felt sorry for NOLA as you flew over it!

November 3, 2010 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  23. T'SAH from of Virginia

"George Bush doesn't care about black people."

THAT was a quote for the TIME – Blacks DIED – HELP was SLOW!!! Corruption followed and seeing it all unfolds in the MEDIA and everyone – including WHITES were questioning “Where's the AID”? – led to that comment. I am sure Kanye got a WHIPLASH from his mother and regretted saying it!!

Apology from Kanye will never come and Bush needs to get over it!! If it HURT him so much – then some will believe the statement was not true – But it took him how many years to say that? I would have said it RIGHT AWAY – explain WHY – and by now, he would NOT be feeling sorry for it!!..................LET'S MOVE ON!

This is T'SAH from Virginia and I approve this message!!

November 3, 2010 07:58 am at 7:58 am |