November 3rd, 2010

Hill Hallways: Pelosi cat and mouse

Washington (CNN) – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her team just played an impressive game of cat and mouse to avoid those of us in the Capitol Hill press corps.

We knew she was scheduled for a 3 p.m. interview with Diane Sawyer down the hall and around the corner from her second floor Capitol Hill office.

Usually Pelosi takes the direct route. But today that meant passing a slew of reporters, including the CNN Capitol Hill team, hoping to ask her unanswered questions about her future.

We got a sense that she was going to try to fake us out when Capitol Police officers who guard her suite began to move forward and block our view of a private elevator.

Finally, after waiting for over an hour outside her office, I caught a glimpse of Pelosi getting on that elevator.

My colleague, CNN congressional producer Deirdre Walsh, was already positioned on the first floor just in case Pelosi tried to elude us, and I ran down to join her.

But, it seems that the Speaker took the elevator to the third floor, and walked all the way across the House side of the Capitol to get on a second elevator, back down to the second floor.

It was an elaborate move to try to avoid us, but we quickly figured it out and ran to find her. My other colleague, congressional producer Lesa Jansen was already in position.

Sure enough, after running back up the stairs from the first floor, we heard the ding of the elevator, and out came the Speaker.

Her security detail and aides were trying to push her through the narrow hallway already crowded with television equipment for the interview she was about to do.

"Clear the path ma'am," one officer said. "Space, space, space," is what her press secretary yelled.

Still, I got close enough to ask her if she had made up her mind about whether she was going to stay on as House Minority Leader, or leave Congress.

She didn't answer. Just then she saw her grandchildren at the door where she was headed, and was gone.

It turns out we weren't the only ones she wouldn't talk to about this. A Pelosi aide said afterward she wouldn't tell Diane Sawyer what she's going to do either. She said she is still talking to her caucus, and her family.

When she left the room after the interview, Lesa and Deirdre reported that she was asked whether she would be here next year. Pelosi smiled and said "I'll let you know."

Filed under: Hill Hallways • Nancy Pelosi
  1. Mark

Pelosi is a disgusting louse. Hopefully she runs back to CA with her tail between her legs and we never, ever hear from her again.

BYE BYE!!!

November 3, 2010 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  2. Bill in CA.

Good riddance...she was the most toxic(well, second most) person in DC. Now she can retire to her winery and make sure all the illegals working for her are protected. She was truly a blight on the political landscape!!!

November 3, 2010 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  3. jm

CNN, America's republican headquarters. What a disgusting bunch of nasty mean correspondents. You are a minnie Fox News. What is happening to our media, that we can't get a unbiased report on anything anymore. I had to shut off the television today when Dana was telling Brook how she chased Nancy Pelosi all around, trying to show the world that Nancy was down and out. She Nancy, was one person that tried to get something done. Poor little Wolf Blitzer just about hyperventilates he gets so excited about the conservatives getting back in power. CNN has done a total turn around since they sold out, and I do mean sell out. Wish you would get ride of Wolf, Jack, John King and his wife Dana, Candy and one of the most disgusting guys I have ever seen, The old guy with the mustash, Beady eyes and that grin that makes you want to throw up.

November 3, 2010 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  4. Anonymous

THE CONSERVATIVES LOSe IN THE MIDTERMS-
    They set out with three major agendas: "Fire" Reid anf Pelosi- Pelosi won reelection with 80% of the vote and retians her 1 vote in the House. Reid is still the Majority leader and retians his 1 vote in the Senate.
    They did take control of the House. Now what? The Senate and the Presidency is still in the control of the Democrats.
    Sorry to be the coffe at their party!

November 3, 2010 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  5. mookie23

Thank God we are done with Pelosi as Speaker of the House!! How in the world does California keep electing her back in. Reminds me of how Detroit kept voting Kilpatrick in as mayor.

November 3, 2010 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  6. Southern Californian

The only thing I can say is, Thank G-d she's from Northern California!! Another reason for me to never go to San Francisco or any other radical liberal Northern California City! Now, Republicans, don't fall into the same trap and blow it! We are watching you and can replace you with Libertarians and Independents!

November 3, 2010 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  7. Karolyn s

Pelosi should NEVER be likened to a Soldier...us Real Soldiers would never be so shady,such a hatefilled lying sup-par American! Hang your head in shame Nancy,and give us our jets back..and I hope you get a job@ 7-11! You were HISTORICALLY horrible! Bubyeeee

November 3, 2010 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  8. Shirley

She did not have trouble acting like a idiot when she was speaker so why should she hide and act different now? Maybe because she realized the American people are smarter than she thought!!!!!

November 3, 2010 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  9. Name

Thank God commie Pelosi is no longer in the majority! Lol

November 3, 2010 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  10. Anonymous

S. In California Okay, What Now?

You have NOTHING to be ashamed of. Thank you for not turning on your party and for standing up for millions of Americans. I hope you much success. Besides doing a good job you are a classy lady and a sharp dresser. I will miss your outfits should you decide to leave. God bless you Ms. Pelosi.

Your glad millions of people are going to get free or discounted health insurance! Why should I pay for u or anyone else? Why should you pay for me? Which u are not. My cost went up, when I sell my house i now have to pay 3.8% to the feds, and if i dont provide insurance to my employees I will pay even more.

November 3, 2010 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  11. asmurff

Maybe she is practicing dodging subpoena and summons servers for when the law comes looking for her for here dishonest dealings for the last 2 years.

November 3, 2010 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  12. tami holland

So sorry Nancy...your boots were made for walking!! You were terrible...

November 3, 2010 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  13. Rod in Texas

Her action of avoiding the press is typical Democrat. Like roaches, they scurry for cover when the light is turned on. Good riddance. Go back to the land of fruits and nuts on your own nickel.

November 3, 2010 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  14. Pattie

Pelosi is a socilist and if you want to give everything to those that don't want to work and sit around smoking pot and drawing unemployment then vote for Pelosi ...she even said that you don't have to work go follow your dream and the Government will take care of you..THE GOVERNMENT ? THAT IS THE PEOPLE!! Pelosi is a multi millionaire ..she is a socialst take from you and give to the lazy. But none of them want to give their money..look at Kerry hiding his big boat to avoid tax's along with Rangle & Maxine waters.

November 3, 2010 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  15. River Dale

No matter how you feel should be happy to know that "We the people" still have a voice and still have power.

November 3, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  16. George of the jungle

No we will be stuck with the orange man. And some of you idiots think this is an improvement. I see that all you repos are still a name calling sorry lot. I guess this is the new politics if you act like a mean spirited idiot people love you.

November 3, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  17. Jeff in Virginia

what is it with these CNN hitjobs on Pelosi?

can I expect to see the same once Boehner is in charge?

November 3, 2010 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  18. Sherri W.W.

I HAVE LEARNED,over the years,TO REALLY APPRECIATE HOW MUCH MS.PELOSI HAS ACTUALLY DONE FOR THE WORKING CLASS PEOPLE~I DIDNT KNOW IT EITHER,FOR A LONG TIME,BUT SHE DEFINATELY IS ONE FINE LADY AND HISTORY WILL SHOW WE HAVE MUCH TO THANK HER FOR!~if you dont believe that,try getting some books and reading up on her~as well off as she is,she has never stopped trying to make middle class folks lives a lot better! THANK YOU SPEAKER!

November 3, 2010 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  19. Laurel Brown

Please God – let her leave – the damage she's done to this nation in two short years is overwhelming!! It will take the new congress years to straighten out the garbage she ramrodded through for the POTUS. As a fellow CA, I can only hope she just fails to return to WA DC and disappears into forced retirement!! WE THE PEOPLE HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!

November 3, 2010 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  20. Squealy

Nancy, we Californians love and appreciate you and you did FAB job against the lamo Just Say NO repubs. Yeah, sure, they all say America has spoken and blah blah blah. Well, America spoke in '08 also! We'll just watch as the other side tried in vain to piece this mess together, and when nothing happens, it will be back in the dems court soon enough.

November 3, 2010 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  21. Nonnie

I wonder if Nancy will have a hard time turning over the keys to HER jet to John Boehner? How will she ever make it home?

November 3, 2010 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  22. SGS

Some of commenters here scream about how Nancy "protected" us from special interests. What is special interest? For me, it means people who are in so-so for their own selfish purposes. It could be as big as a global corporation, or it could be as small as single individual. Have we already forgotten that Nancy Pelosi is a special interest by her own, having thrown every federal dollar she could to her husband and his friends? Sorry, bubba, but special interests happen with both parties. That's why our Constitution is restricting the power of our US Congress, and delegate the rest to the states, where We The People could keep a close watch. This is why we should be down with large government and be for limited government, which far from what Nancy once dreamt about! Good ridiculous with her!

November 3, 2010 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  23. Not A TeaPartier

I've gotten so tired of hearing that, as a woman, I 'should be' proud of a female Speaker of the House – it didn't matter that she was arrogant, supercilious, rude, and caustic to everyone – she was a woman. Big deal. As a woman in politics for over 20 years, I consider her not only an insult to women in politics, but a self-righteous person who disrespected not only the thousands of people – men AND women – who helped her get there, but the entire American public. "We'll pass it first, then you can read it!" and telling artists that they will get free health care and not have to worry about working, were just two examples of her arrogant, powerhungry nannyism. She is not only an insult to hardworking, struggling women everywhere, but an insult to the American public. Avoiding reporters when her omniscient, omnipotent world came crashing around her just shows what a self-righteous, cowardly bully she has always been.

November 3, 2010 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  24. Shelly

Pelosi and Reid's home states of California and Nevada sure are in good shape. People never cease to amaze me, they look around them at all the foreclosures and the joblessness, then vote the very ones that were part of the cause back into office!! Thankfully the Reid/Pelosi "machine" cannot operate effectively for their evil purposes with one member gone, and with Pelosi's gavel snatched from her, maybe she will decide to go home and putter in her garden, hopefully far from view where we don't have to look at her or hear her.

November 3, 2010 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  25. Anonymouse

I am surprised she just didn't say "I don't know what I will do next, I am waiting for the documents so I can decide, then read them"....

November 3, 2010 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |