November 3rd, 2010

Maneuvering for new House GOP leadership

Washington (CNN) – Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-California, is expected to throw his hat in the ring to become the new House majority whip, several GOP sources close to McCarthy tell CNN.

McCarthy, currently the House GOP chief deputy whip, played a big role in Republican efforts to win the House majority. He was responsible for helping recruit GOP candidates to challenge Democratic incumbents, and also took the lead in producing the Republicans so-called "Pledge to America."

His likely candidacy for the number three spot is part of a natural shift in leadership once Republicans take control of the House.

Rep. John Boehner will almost surely become House speaker, and the current House GOP Whip Eric Cantor, R-Virginia, plans to run for House majority leader.

The most competitive race in the House GOP leadership may be for the conference chairmanship. Rep. Mike Pence, R-Indiana, currently holds that position but made what had long been rumored official: he will leave the GOP leadership to explore a possible bid for the White House.

Following news that Pence plans to step down, Texas Republican Rep. Jeb Hensarling said Wednesday that he will seek the chairmanship, announcing, "While I do not claim to be able to fill Mike Pence's shoes, I have the commitment and passion to build upon his work."

"My vision for Conference is a simple one: unity, empowerment and service. Over the next two weeks, I will share that vision with my colleagues and over 60 new Republican members-elect and humbly seek their support," Hensarling said.

House Minority Whip Eric Cantor endorsed Hensarling shortly after he announced his intention to seek the chairmanship on Wednesday; Pence offered his endorsement as well.

“Our majority must produce results so that we can get America back to opportunity, responsibility, and success, which is why I am proudly supporting my friend, Jeb Hensarling, to become the next Chairman of the House Republican Conference,” Cantor said.

But Tea Party favorite Rep. Michele Bachmann has announced her intention to run for the chairmanship as well. Bachmann founded the House Tea Party Caucus earlier this year, and her campaign for the leadership post sets up the first battle within the House Republican conference between the Tea Party and the GOP establishment.

When it comes to the number three spot, House GOP whip, McCarthy may face a challenge from Rep. Pete Sessions, R-Texas, who is currently the head of the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) and performed quite well in his role electing House Republicans.

Sessions' spokeswoman Emily Davis told CNN, "in the coming days, he plans to discuss with his colleagues how he can best serve his party and country."

Leadership elections for both Republicans and Democrats will take place in two weeks when Congress returns for a lame duck session.

In effort to have diversity at the leadership table, Washington Rep. Cathy McMorris Rogers, the vice chair of the Republican conference, will likely retain a similar post as the highest-ranking woman in the leadership.

Because the freshman class will be large and includes a lot of conservative and Tea Party candidates, House GOP leaders are discussing including a seat at the leadership table for a representative from that group. But, it is unclear what position would be or who would get it, although one thought if it could go to the president of the freshman class.

(Updated at 6:20 p.m. ET with additional information)

Filed under: GOP • 2010
  1. Clark Wilhelm Griswald

Politicians maneuvering for their own benefit . . . hmmmm, I thought these new wave Tea Party hugging right-wingers were supposed to return government to "we the people", I gues they are just going to be the next chapter of the same old story, the incumbents you will hate next time.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

November 3, 2010 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  2. ja

remember to govern for all people, not a select few

November 3, 2010 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  3. Steve (the real one)

As I have been reading several stories and blogs, I see liberals chiming how the GOP is now in charge and where are the jobs. Do you realize The House is STILL under Dem control until January? If you are going whine and complain about last night, at least know the facts! Some of you still believe only the GOP voted for a change last night! Independents AND some Dems did as well. Now in saying that, the GOP had BETTER perform or else me and may others just like me will look elsewhere in two years and it WILL NOT be the dems but a third party candidate!

November 3, 2010 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  4. Reality Stinks

So now Obama is taking a trip to India at the taxpayer cost of $200 million a day! Why doesn't he get it? This is why Democrats lost in the last election, yet Obama will continue his spending ways.

November 3, 2010 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  5. stufit

All refreshing new faces that don't consider Americans as the enemy, neanderthals, unpatriotic, astroturfs, like the former house leadership said.

November 3, 2010 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  6. j

I still haven`t recovered from Newt`s " Contract ON America" . I apparently have a longer memory than most voters !!! Their " Pledge" is just so much BS.

November 3, 2010 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  7. November 2, 2010 - The Day Progressive Socialism was STOPPED! Rollback to continue in 2012!!

The American people have spoken with a clear and resounding voice!! NO SOCIALIST AMERICA!!! Obozo and his Progressive Socialists have been slapped down without mercy.

Pelosi will be thrown out of the speakership which she has abused beyond belief. To think this witch was telling people the DemocRATS would hold the House is unbelieveable.

Today is a GREAT DAY FOR THE USA!!! I am SO looking forward to 2012 when the "fundamental transformation of America" will continue!!

November 3, 2010 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  8. John

The Republican victory means they wanted to carry the baton. They can't just say NO to everything anymore. They have to work with President Obama this time, or there will be a repeat of 2008. This is the genius of President Obama.
    He knows how to put the ball in the opponents court just enough to make them own up to their responsibility. And to
    everyone who voted "against" the President,
    PRESIDENT OBAMA IS STILL PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, Thank goodness.

Republicans, time to roll up your sleeves and start working with the President.

November 3, 2010 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  9. Fair is Fair

Nancy's been awfully quiet today.

November 3, 2010 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  10. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

November 3, 2010 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  11. We will See

GOP you have 1 year to reduce taxes, fix education, fix the economy, and bring 9% unemployment to zero!!! I will be waiting to judge. But just like you said yesterday you will do everything possible not to compromise with congress= nothing will get done and we will be in the same place we are now!!!

November 3, 2010 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  12. Ben in Texas

Okay, Repugnants. So, where are the jobs? It's been hours since the election was over, for chrissakes. Get your butts down to Capitol Hill and fix it. Come on!

You don't have a plan yet? Why not? You've been obstructing everything for 2 years, and in all that time, you didn't come up with a plan to create jobs and get the economy back on track? You had no problem wrecking the economy under mini-Bush. Why is it so hard to fix it? Get going! Time's a-wasting!

What do you mean, "All we can do effectively is to say, 'No'"?

November 3, 2010 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  13. SuperD

Great results last night. Where are all the Liberals on this board?

The only bummer was California and Nevada, Reid and Boxer. They just don't get it, I can't believe that either of them won, but I'm sure the Democrat machine had that already taken care of before the voting started.

Great 2010, REPEAL OBAMACARE!, 2012 OBAMA! YOU'RE NEXT!

November 3, 2010 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  14. Rush Goebbels

I just loved the crying jags he had from the last binge.These two morons should get married and Rush Limbaugh could be the Minister,ahahaha.

November 3, 2010 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  15. shadysider

Many Republican voters seem to be oblivious to the fact that job losses began under Bush WITH the tax cuts in place. As more and more jobs have gone over-seas, there has been fewer and fewer jobs. Tax cuts for the rich are not being spent to raise employment, they are just going into pockets or are being used to invest in things like real estate or the stock market which does not raise employment. Not to mention that renewing tax cuts for the rich serves to enlarge our debt. I do not see the Republican Party/Conservatives either having a large-scale raise in employment, or in our reducing the debt. Unless they decide to cut defense spending (not gonna happen b/c they want to sound patriotic and want to keep government subsidized jobs for defense contractors), it will be essentially impossible. Aren't jobs and the debt, what the Republicans/Conservatives/Tea Partiers ran on this year? I'll believe it when I see it, but it's not gonna happen. I just don't believe they're being honest. If they were, they'd be championing Ron Paul and Gary Johnson, not Sarah Palin.

November 3, 2010 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  16. NVa Native

Used car lot rejects. Slick brochure with out any substance.

November 3, 2010 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  17. Patty

Americans expect ALL Political Parties to do what we sent them to do..Put Americans First..As ONE..

We want our Middle Class Back & jobs
    WAR – Does NOT Thrive American Economy...., It has Bankrupted our Country...
    Tax Breaks for Big Business does not Create jobs But more GREED
    Hold Banks Accountable for Their Actions
    Stock Market is Nothing but BUBBLES – Take Care of IT ....
    Fair Trade Agreement is NOT Fair – Nothing but Business Loop Holes
    Stop Foreign Banks from running America

If Action is not taken than its Time for Americans Citizens to Organize Their OWN Paarty for 2012>>>>>>>

November 3, 2010 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  18. Steve (the real one)

Folks this is not new we do this every two years! Sometimes things go the way I like, sometimes they don't. I do know that IF the GOP does not perform as they stated, in two years it will be something different. I see Harry Reid chatting at bipartisanship now! It is time for DC to get to work for the interest of the country! I wonder the President will now react as Clinton did? Even as a conservative, I realize some good things happened under clinton after the mid-terms in '94!

November 3, 2010 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  19. Leonard Chan

Er... Ben in Texas... inauguration day for Congress is on January 3....

November 3, 2010 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  20. Steve (the real one)

Ben in Texas
    ----------
    Bitter much? The DEMS are still in control until January!

November 3, 2010 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  21. Ava Aston's Muckery

Let's pray that the changes made by the People are actually for the People.

Blessings,

Ava

November 3, 2010 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  22. Bertina

Where are the jobs, Boehner?

November 3, 2010 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  23. Lori in St Pete

So now that they've got the House, they need to start talking about what they plan to do, not just pay vague lip service to the easily manipulated. What are their plans? What are they going to cut? How soon after they start dismantling Social Security should I expect a full refund of the $$$ I and my employers on my behalf have contributed over the last 32 years?

November 3, 2010 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  24. Kathleen

AT LEAST PRESIDENT OBAMA IS STLL PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.
    (And still will be in 2012 if the Republicans don't work on behalf of the American people.)

November 3, 2010 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  25. Fair is Fair

"I guess it's fair for me to start some hateful political group such as the Tea Party and start slandering all republicans immediately. It's only fair. I mean, how long was the President in power before the American Talban Tea Party start slandering the President? The gloves are off now. I guess it will be fine that when these fascists republicans try to repeal the healthcare bill, that we spit on them and call them racial slurs like they did us. The fascists are at war with the middle class. If you're not in the top 2% income bracket, you don't mean didly to the fascists republicans. I'm going to get my John Boehner board and paint him up as Stalin, Hitler, Napoleon. Maybe even a box of crayons. Instead of crosshairs, I'm going to target eric Cantor with Swastikas. I'm going to have banners of Michelle Bachmann as Satan. Let the games begin."

Dude, you should really do something about your anger issues.

November 3, 2010 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |