November 3rd, 2010

Pelosi reflects on time as Speaker

(CNN) - In her first interview since Democrats lost control of the House, outgoing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi defended her leadership and was unapologetic.

"[I have] no regrets because we believe we did the right thing and worked very hard to convey that to the American people," Pelosi told ABC's Diane Sawyer on Wednesday.

When asked if she feels bruised given the election results, she said, "When I get time for that, I'll call you and let you know."

Pelosi expressed sadness over the losses dealt to her colleagues that will not return to Congress for another term saying, "it's never been about me."

She also said she has a "good rapport" with the likely new House Speaker, Ohio Rep. John Boehner.

The California Democrat and grandmother of eight declined to say what she would do next, but said she would pray and consult her family before she makes any decisions. She said she is grateful for her time as Speaker.

"I relish that, I treasure that, but it was in its time and in its place, and now it's time to move on."

Filed under: 2010 • Nancy Pelosi
  1. Ben in Texas

The right wing all have their reasons to hate Nancy, but mine is different. When the Dems took control of the House in 2006, she immediately took impeachment of Bush and Cheney "off the table", in her words. In so doing, she abrogated her responsibility to uphold the Constitution. It became apparent later that she did so because of her own involvement in knowing about CIA torture techniques being used on prisoners. That makes her corrupt in my book.

November 4, 2010 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  2. Sniffit

Keep fighting Nancy!

The only way they were able to bump you was via voter fraud.

November 4, 2010 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  3. King

History will record Nancy as the most effective speaker ever to hold a gapple. The repugs trembles when they hear her name. She will be k own as the architect that got this country out of the great recession and back our feet again even though she was punished by the American people for doing so severely, by the worst house take over in history. They would have thrown out Reid also if the Spanish didn't came to his aid. I appreciate you help bring down gas prices when they were 5 dollars a gallon when the oil companies cried thei was an oil shortage but their lies were discovered when billions of gallons spilled in the gulf of Mexico for three month none stop. You did a great job with the health care reform bill, college tuition, finance reform etc. I appreciate appreciate your service and history will too.

November 4, 2010 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  4. Scott

What Ms. Pelosi has to realize, working hard for what she thinks is right for her vision of what America needs, and going against the will of the majority of the American public is what lost her party their majority in the Congress. While I believe that Congress should protect the minority with rule of law. This isn't Robin Hood, you can't take from the rich for wealth distribution to the poor. Everyone must succeed through their own efforts. If everyone puts forth effort, it's a long hard road, but everything earned, gained, and fought for has more satisfaction than having it just given to you on the platter that will end up bankrupting this nation. Then they will only be poor, without the capability to fighting for a better life.

November 4, 2010 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  5. slicker

Pelosi pray? Are you kidding me? The word pray has a connotation of a person being a Christian and NO Christian would votre for anything related to abortion. She voted for it all the way when she and Obama drove the health care bill down the american public's throat. Pray? Give me a break. She should crawl right back tot he hople she came out of.

November 4, 2010 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  6. Monster Zero

Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Barney Frank, Franklin Raines, Chris Dodd, Maxine Waters, Charlie Rangle, Eric Holder and Barrack Obama... the subpoena's will soon commence to fly and I wouldn't want to be any of you as the rock is soon to be turned over!

November 4, 2010 09:57 am at 9:57 am |