November 4th, 2010

Bitter campaign ends in beer summit

(CNN) - As President Obama prepares for a post-election "Slurpee summit," the candidates for his old Senate seat in Illinois followed his previous example with a beer summit of their own.

Senator-elect, Republican Mark Kirk, and vanquished rival, Democrat Alexi Giannoulias, met in downtown Chicago at the famous political staple Billy Goat Tavern.

Kirk told reporters the two discussed the idea during the campaign, before the race turned bitter, and decided to hold the gathering the day after Kirk's victory.

CNN affiliate WLS reports Kirk said after Election Day, "We exchanged e-mail and cell phone numbers and I said don't be shy. You know almost half of Illinois voted for him to be their Senator and I think you have to respect that voice. On camera and through the TV ads it was tough but off camera he's a very likeable guy."

They each downed one beer during the short meeting, in front of plenty of cameras.

WLS said Giannoulias gave Kirk the book "The Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln." Giannoulias, the station reported, told Kirk, "Look, listen, I know you're going to make some tough votes. Always stay true to yourself."

"Who is he to take advice from me but I hope and I believe him when he says he's going to be a good senator and not worry about the next election," Giannoulias told WLS.

Filed under: 2010 • Alexi Giannoulias • Illinois • Mark Kirk
  1. vic nashville tn

Will party leaders follow them

November 4, 2010 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  2. Sam

I really like this story and I hope it sets the tone for the next two years. The Illinois Senate race was one of the most bitter races that I followed (next to Kentucky). The fact that at the end of the day both candidates could sit down and discuss the future of the country and their state shows me that we can still come together despite our differences.

November 4, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  3. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

I wonder did they discuss Mr. Kirks military service record.

November 4, 2010 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  4. keepstufingthis

I am sure the FBI was taping the conversation, like that of every other Illinois political conversation. They are all such corrupt, union infested crooks.

November 4, 2010 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  5. willard bullock

Presdient obama is mocked out of word his mouth so he have problems too bad his encomny what happened about last 2 year

November 4, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  6. T'SAH from Virginia

This is COMPROMISING!!! Because what everyone is FORGETTING – – – – The fact that HALF of the AMERICAN PEOPLE "did not" for REPUBLICAN!!!!!!!!!! This can turn any minute into a disaster if both sides don't COMPROMISE!!!! I will give KIRK a little respect for this and I will WATCH how he governs!!

LQQK at MA – Scott Brown is another one that better WATCH HIS BACK!!!! Every other candidate running in that state WON and they were DEMOCRATS!!!!! YES!!! Scott Brown is the ONLY RepubliCAN'T in MA. Yes MA sent a message to DC – BUT they are still BLUE BABY!!!!!!!!!

This is T'SAH – Out of Campaign Mode and N2 Moving America Forward with President Obama AND bringing the CORRUPTION/OBSTRUCTION and PROPOSAL with EMPTY SOLUTIONS to the front!!!

November 4, 2010 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |