November 4th, 2010

BREAKING in Illinois: CNN projects Democratic Gov. win

(CNN) - Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn has narrowly won his bid for a full term in Illinois, CNN projects. He defeated Republican challenger Bill Brady and three other minor candidates. Quinn was lieutenant governor in 2009 when the Illniois state Senate removed then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich from office.

Filed under: 2010 • Illinois • The Latest Calls
  1. Need New State Line

Please look at the Illinois map of county results. Its Cook county vs the rest of Illinois!!!! Time to split this state in two so the rest of Illinois can survive. Cook county is sucking the rest of Illinois bone dry! Why bother voting when they decide the entire state every election! Downstate Illinois is in shambles Mr. Quinn and Mr. Madigan. There are 101 other counties in Illinois by the way.

November 4, 2010 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  2. Rico

@Mike I like how when republicans lose an election its suddenly becomes time to restructure voting lines or spill blood in the name of the constitution. Grow up act like a REAL AMERICAN. People like you are an embarrasment to everyone who truly considers themselves a patriot. I like how when you don't get your way you cry like little hillbillies. Take a page from the democrats and lose/win with dignity. And for god's sake stop watching "Fake News".

November 4, 2010 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  3. MarkH

We've had 2 corrupt Republican governors in 10 years, vs. one corrupt Democrat. I think Quinn deserves a chance. As for you stupid tea baggers, tough luck trying to stick another xenophobic anti-social idiot in office!

November 4, 2010 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  4. Beth

Illinois, don't you ever learn. Pray for our state. We're going to need it.

November 4, 2010 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  5. Mark

I live in Kane County. Can we be included with So. IL when splitting into two states? PLEASE??

November 4, 2010 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  6. ConstitutionalPatriot

Lousy criminal is going to raise our taxes! Thanks alot Chicago! That's why I'm a Packer fan! Chitcago is a blemish on the state of Illinois and an insult to the people in central and southern Illinois who work too hard to allow these crooks to continue to steal from us. Again thanks alot all you leeches in Chicago!

November 4, 2010 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  7. Rob NY

GOOD!!! Every Dem win helps restore sanity to the nation.

November 4, 2010 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  8. Pete Buckman

The people of Illinois (rephrase: Illinois democrats) are stupid. Illinois is one of the most corrupt states, most in debt, most highly taxed, and over regulated states in the nation. People are leaving Illinois in droves. I live near St. Louis and the quality of life here is much worse than just across the river in the southern and western suburbs of St. Louis. I can't believe dumb Illinois led by Crook County Chicago is going to vote Quinn back in!!!! After how close this crony was to Blagojevich....what a shame, a crying shame. Illinois was a good state at one time...guess it'll take a Chris Christie here to turn things around and drag these liberals kicking and screaming into an age of self-responsibility, self-worth, and no entitlements. Quinn. Give me a break!

November 4, 2010 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  9. sameeker

I agree Mike. Illinois is so corrupt that I even think that the counties should succeed and join the neighboring states.

November 4, 2010 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  10. Jon

In Respone to Mike

I feel your pain "poor people in the South are being drug into financial collapse". I live in San Diego, and all the knuckleheads in No Cal keep voting in the same tired candidates...Boxer...Brown...that have never done anything but pump up the Unions, and drag us down into the social and financial pit!!! It would be great to divide this once great State and allow us in So Cal to have some decent representation. I know that will never happen, so I may have to take my small business, and move to AZ, Texas, Utah, or Oklahoma!

November 4, 2010 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  11. michael Douglas

I am glad that Patt Quinn won, Brady had some terrible campaign adds, that were all lies. I believe Pat Quinn, will keep IL on the right track, it is not his fault Blogo messed up.

November 4, 2010 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  12. Anonymous

More of the same Dem politics. How sad. To the person who does not like reactionaries, how about socialists....do you like them better???

November 4, 2010 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  13. Larry

Pretty bad when 5 counties out of 102 can control the outcome of an election. With this result, we are doomed as a state.

November 4, 2010 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  14. Nick

I live in Chicago and tried my hardest to elect Brady. Sorry rest of IL, Chicago likes to screw you over.

November 4, 2010 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  15. e pinski

I live in southern Illinois and it is completely ridiculous that it really doesn't even matter how I vote. Cook county takes the vote every time. Nothing below Springfield exists and it really is a shame that my voice doesn't even matter. I wonder if Quinn will live in the governors mansion? He hasn't been and neither did Blago, but the mansion was still using the housekeepers, groundskeepers and electricity. I'm all for those people keeping their jobs, but Illinois is in the worst place it has been in in years, probably decades, oh wait, I forgot about Ryan. Corrupt Chicago needs different politics than us lowly So. Illinois citizens. Report about that, CNN.

November 4, 2010 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  16. Iguana21

Quinn won 4 counties...Brady won every remaining county. The people of Illinois wanted Brady...the "State of Chicago" wanted Quinn.

November 4, 2010 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  17. Tina sellers

i agree with spliting north and southern ill i am so tired of chicago doing this

November 4, 2010 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  18. John

Glad Quinn won he was a better candidate and republicans don't need to run Illinois so down with brady up with quinn.

November 4, 2010 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  19. swin5, Pittsburgh, PA

Seems like the Daley Machine in Chicago is alive and well. The people in Illinois are lucky that the senate race was not close enough for the Chicago Machine to work its magic. And for those of you under 50 – in the 1960 presidential election, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley (the father) knew John F. Kennedy had to carry Illinois to win the presidency, so he withheld the vote count from Chicago until all votes from southern Illinois (strong Republican) were counted. That way he knew what the Chicago vote count had to be to get JFK elected and, SURPRISE! – that's what the vote count ended up being. Nothing is ever new under the sun.

November 4, 2010 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  20. 3Nirvana

Haha I'm as progressive as they come but you better believe that this race was bought. I mean more than usual.

November 4, 2010 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  21. Durhamkids

Mike

you are an idiot

the people of southen illinois enjoy the financial fruits of Chicago. Rural areas always get more in per capita spending then they pay in taxes. Thats a fact. Go be the State of Southern Illinois...you'll be more broke with a worse educational system than Alabama. Not an enviable position

November 4, 2010 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  22. g rose

How much longer is the corrupt democratic machine going to run our state. This is the 21st century and we are still in the dark ages politcally.

November 4, 2010 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  23. mike

Great! I know, I'll tell you I am going to raise your taxes then I will run to the polls and vote for you – wake the hell up Illinois!

November 4, 2010 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  24. Sylvanis

We actually don't mind modrate republican governors in cook county and we have a history voting for them. As much as I wasn't crazy about Quinn, Brady was just *too* conservative socially for my comfort level and I know a lot of people around here who felt the same way.

November 4, 2010 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  25. Dallas

I would love to see Illinois without the negative effects of Chicago.

November 4, 2010 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |