November 5th, 2010

Biden sought Olbermann's advice on anger

(CNN) - MSNBC's Keith Olbermann, suspended indefinitely Friday for donating to Democratic candidates for office, said in an interview two days before his suspension that Vice President Joe Biden once sought his advice.

“I once had a conversation with the man who is now the vice president when he was still in the Senate, who asked me for advice about how to turn anger into righteous inspiration,” Olbermann said in an interview with the New York Times Magazine.

Olbermann added, “He [Biden] said, ‘I just come across like I’m angry and out of control, and you seem to focus it and make it look useful and expressive.’’’

Also noteworthy, Olbermann expressed surprise with Jon Stewart’s criticism of him during the Rally for Sanity.

“I saw that. I was sitting at home, with my notebooks for the election, in that Saturday haze that anybody who does five shows [a week] is still in until the middle of the afternoon on Saturday," Olbermann said in the interview. "I was thinking: That’s odd. I wouldn’t think of myself in those terms. Why is my videotape there?”

1. Lorrie

how is this news ? Just trying to capitalize on his situation now and tie it to the White House? Shame on you-I thought you were supposed to be better than this

November 5, 2010 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  2. Marco555

From one Edward R. Murrow wannabe to another.

November 5, 2010 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  3. Daniel

Back to ESPN?lol

November 5, 2010 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  4. Indie Woman in Denver

I'm still in shock over those knuckhead MSNBC execs suspending KO. Say it isn't so! We can only hope they wake up, when all of his viewers stand up in revolt. I'm also a bit torqued over the guys at Politico coming up with this story. Did they seek out the info, or did someone conveniently pass the info along to them? I understand the right-wingnuts' reaction, but besides them, who cares if he put his money where his mouth is (or who cares in a negative way)?

November 5, 2010 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  5. John G

Now that's a scary thought. I watched Keith's hair turn twice as white during the midterm elections.

November 5, 2010 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  6. Mary McKhann

I understand the press tries to look unbiased, but nobody thinks Keith is unbiased any more than they think Glen Beck is unbiased. Those of us who lean a little to port love Olbermann. The cable news shows are so awful for the most part these days. I hope MSNBC brings him back soon or they won't have any viewers left.

November 5, 2010 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  7. Yvette

I'm disappointed to hear that Keith olbermann has been suspended. As long as he's not being telvise here , I will not watch msnbc

November 5, 2010 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  8. Bill

Joe Biden. Nuff said.

November 5, 2010 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  9. Claudia, Houston, Tx

This what the Republicans call their "Pledge to America" to keep the dust flying because they have NO PLAN.

November 5, 2010 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  10. Marie MD

I would like to know why Rick Sanchez, Juan Williams and now Keith Olberman are fired or suspended for calling someone a bigot (even Stewart doesn't think Sanchez should have been fired); saying what some of us might feel about seeing a muslim in a plane (even though the 9/11 terrorists were dressed as anyone else and not everyone feels that way) and now Olberman for giving money to Democratic candidates.
    We have the half term, limberger, little girly beck, insanity, coulter, wilson and others call the President all kinds of names (racist, hitler, socialist, communist, not born in this country, dangerous, a liar, a muslim, pal around with terrorists from the woman who IS the trojan horse for the AK independent party and was just caught with her twittering something stupid (doh!) about the President with coulter, etc.) and their shows continue on the air as if this is what we have come to believe is REAL NEWS amd their REAL LIES don't matter!. Does anyone else see the hypocrisy and irony of this situation?
    When I see all of the above fade into oblivion becuase of their insane beliefs then I would respect the media more. Until that happens you are all fools.

November 5, 2010 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  11. iceaxdave

Oberman? Who cares? He is third on the list of unwatchability...behind Matthews and Madow...NO ONE WATCHES !

November 5, 2010 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  12. Jeff in Virginia

So lets get this straight-

When Sean Hannity donates thousands of dollars to candidates, that's him expressing his free speech and patriotic right.

When Keith Olbermann donates thousands of dollars to candidates, that's him being a hypocrite of the highest order and should discredit anything that he has ever done.

Wow.

November 5, 2010 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  13. once upon a horse

I agree with NBC that we can NOT have this type of stuff going on. News people employed by major news companies supporting candidates and giving advice to the VP. Heck next thing you know we'll be having major news networks siding with one party over the others, hiring that one party's ex candidates, backing and offering monetary support to theiir causes, and....oops NEVER MIND!!

November 5, 2010 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  14. Steven

So we loose KEITH OBERMAN a great voice for the democratic people and are now left with another right wing victory by loosing such a great voice for the common man. So let me see if I am getting this right....Fixed so called news can give millions to defeat democracy but a man gives money to his favorite party and he is fired well just what does that say. well I for one will not tune into the 8pm MSNBC until you bring our man KEITH BACK!

November 5, 2010 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  15. Portland, Maine

good job CNN for making something out of nothing. This is the most irrelevant piece of information ever. Here's a story: A guy making headlines right now had a conversation with the Vice President. SENSATIONAL HEADLINE!!

November 5, 2010 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  16. patnamm

This whole think about KEITH stinks. Did he donate the money in the name of MSNBC or as Keith? And if he did as Keith – well wasn't that what the supreme court ruling was about – allowing Keith to make that donation, RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH? Or does MSNBC stifle free speech?. Soemthing tells me that MSNBC might end up owing Keith an apology after he takes them all the way to the supreme court.

November 5, 2010 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  17. Paul V. Lutz

It is regrettable that the major sane voice,well researched and accurate reporting, has been silenced for exercising
    his 1st Amendment right in privately expressing his support for the political candidate of his choice.

SHAME ON NSMBC

November 5, 2010 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  18. jules sand-perkins

Adaptive anger is one of the most useful and ADMIRABLE emotions.
    What a shame that so many religions and even psychologists cannot accept the validity and purpose of anger.
    "Righteous inspiration?" That sounds like the sales pitch of a preacher or imam hawking his own brand of religion.

November 5, 2010 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  19. George of the jungle

I guess the only people who can contribute to campaigns are the big donors who do it in secrete. This is private and his own money. I bet fox dosent use the same rules.

November 5, 2010 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  20. bill

this story is wrong and once again cnn is spreading the word of fox.

it is a temporary suspension.

what about hannity donating tens of thousands to republican candidates and fox endorsing candidates and running rallys for candiddates.

for christs sake...where is your balance or are you onlyinterested in the train wrecks.

November 5, 2010 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  21. russinmaine

I guess it is now obvious to most that Olbermann was unable to provide BFD Biden with the requested advice seeing as he himself has never himself been able to accomplish it!

November 5, 2010 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  22. George of the jungle

His show is not a real news show so he should be able to use his own money any way he wants. Fox on the other hand claims to be a news show and it is donating in the name of the network. Totally different .

November 5, 2010 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  23. nmgrandma

If Phil Griffin wants to lose viewers, this is the way to do it. Bring him back now!

November 5, 2010 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  24. jacquie

As far as I am concerned they went after Olbermann when other people like Scarbourgh and Buchanan who also did it. Suspend everyone. Or no one. This sucks. I won't watch MSNBC until he returns. Period. They not only lost me they lost me buying ANYTHING that is advertised on MSNBC.

November 5, 2010 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  25. haloguy628

Maybe it's time for this angry man actually seek help and enroll in anger management classes instead of trying to channel his anger attacking decent people. Would do Olberman and everybody who comes in contact with him lot of good especially now with him being suspended and with lot of time on his hands to stew and boil. He may explode if he does not take my advice.

November 5, 2010 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |