November 5th, 2010

Pelosi is running for Minority Leader amid calls for her to step down

Washington (CNN) - Outgoing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Friday she will run for minority leader, even as some moderate and conservative Democrats have said she should step aside. Pelosi made the announcement on Twitter: "Driven by the urgency of creating jobs & protecting #hcr, #wsr, Social Security & Medicare, I am running for Dem Leader."

She further explained her decision in a statement.

"Our work is far from finished. As a result of Tuesday's election, the role of Democrats in the 112th Congress will change, but our commitment to serving the American people will not," Pelosi said in a statement. "Many of our colleagues have called with their recommendations on how to continue our fight for the middle class, and have encouraged me to run for House Democratic Leader."

Moderate Democratic Rep. Dan Boren of Oklahoma was the latest to urge Pelosi to step aside and not run for House Minority Leader.

"I cannot in good conscience support Nancy Pelosi as our leader," Boren told CNN in a telephone interview, "I intend to support a more conservative Democrat, a Democratic alternative."

"I think most people in the Democratic caucus are giving her room to make the room to retire, to leave gracefully. But, you know, I think it is important to see over the next 24-48 hours if we will see an alternative emerge," Boren said.

Boren's public pressure for Pelosi to go follows similar comments from North Carolina's Democratic Rep Heath Schuler and Utah's Democratic Rep. Jim Matheson who have also said they would prefer a new, more centrist Democratic leader.

"I think based on the outcome of this election, we should all acknowledge what the American people said, and they are looking for change. And I think when you as a political party suffer losses of historic proportions, it makes sense to change things up," Matheson told CNN in a telephone interview." "Therefore I don't think she should be running for leader."

Still, after Tuesday's losses, moderate Democrats are now a very small part of the Democratic caucus. The bigger question, according to multiple Democratic sources, is what Pelosi's fellow progressives want her to do.

Americans United for Change, a progressive political organization, sent an email notice to its members Friday morning urging Pelosi to stay.

The notice asks people to send a personal note to Speaker Pelosi.

"Make sure she knows that we will support her," said the email.

"If she runs, she will win," said one senior Democratic source.

Still, while Pelosi's tireless fundraising has built reservoir of support among Democratic lawmakers, several Democratic sources said there are a number of progressive Democrats who do not want her to run.

Meanwhile, Kentucky Democratic Rep. John Yarmuth, who had been a staunch supporter of Pelosi's, told a television station in his home state he wants Pelosi to step down as Democratic leader.

"I know that there is some thought that Nancy Pelosi may stay around," Yarmuth said Thursday, "As good a leader as she has been, I don't think she's the right leader to take us

Filed under: Nancy Pelosi
  1. Git a Grip

Somebody please give Nancy the results of Tuesdays election

November 5, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  2. Terri

For Goodness Sake LEAVE WOMAN!!!

November 5, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  3. Julie D

Nancy Pelosi is the Democratic party's worst nightmare. She's arrogant and her behavior at times has been reprehensible. She needs to step back if she really cares about our country and allow someone with diplomatic ways and means to move good policy forward in the name of the citizens of the United States.

November 5, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  4. lost

@ Monster Zero
    George Bush had the lowest presidential approval rating of all time and he thought (and still does) that he was doing a good job.........

November 5, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  5. Jerry D

I hope she not only runs, but wins. Why are people so scared of a strong woman who knows her job and wants to make things better? If I were her I would work to get the post, thumb my nose at the new leadership and ask them, "now what"?

November 5, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  6. JoBleaux

Pelosi is a great leader. She doesn't take and cr@p from Republicans! You go girl!

November 5, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  7. JOHN

Dear Lord..i pray that ms pelosi decides not to continue as leader of her party. i wish her no personal harm and hope she represents her distict well. but many people have been hurt and more will be if she remains. please give her the wisdom to resign. in your name and the name of Jesus Christ..amen.
    democrat

November 5, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  8. ArmyKing33

To Wes B.
    I agree with you but I would also say that Newt Gingrich makes my skin crawl in the same way! I'll throw in Palin as well but she's a girl as well so maybe that's just good information for you.

November 5, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  9. Progressive Dupe

That's fantastic! She was an utter trainwreck as speaker and now this aging fossil of a woman will continue her legacy as minority spokeswhore.

November 5, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  10. Mark

Keeping the most radical left wing California libnut in control:) That will be good for Obama in 2012:)

November 5, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  11. Jake Rockwel

Pelosi is worthless. Plain and simple.She said flat out when the tables were turned "It does not matter what they say we have the votes". Who will work with her now?
    Congress needs total reform as it is; Term limits, full income disclosure and no exemption from laws they enforce. Pelosi is just another example of what we dont need in congress.

November 5, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  12. Mark

Shouldn't Pelosi go back to bankrupt libtard California where she belongs?

November 5, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  13. William

Pelosi is the only person in Washington who can get stuff done. She's highly effective. It wasn't her fault the Democrats lost seats this election. It was the Senate's inability to act and also Obama's lackluster performance so far. Pelosi should stay.

November 5, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  14. AV1

She is evil and everyone with any since knows she could care less about real americans and the hardship we are in. She will lose any vote to stay. Only ones that want her are the ediots in her district.

15. Augsbee

I don't think her ego will allow her to step aside, once again she doesn't listen to what we the people want.

16. alex

Is there any doubt whose interests she is serving now?

17. Richard

Honestly! Why can't this woman just peacefully ride off into the sunset? Hasn't she done enough harm to her party?

18. billied

Dutch you are truley a Ditz, just like Nancy....Sorry man, I don't have an aisle to cross, but it's obvious too me that the elections results hurt your feelings.
    Nancy can spend more time with Sarah, who inspite of everything being said is a huge liability, and they cas disappear together.
    I am an independent and the two party system will be a memory soon, so try and get your ducks in a row

19. Brian

I am a huge Pelosi supporter, but I think she should step down. Tuesday night was a wake up call for Dems and if we dont change something, voters will continue to change us (out of office). And if they show up and vote like this in 2012, we will have a one-term President Obama. Pelosi to too liberal and this country does not need that right now. I think we can find a more centrist Dem as leader to see how best we can work with Reps to move country forward. I dont see Pelosi doing that at this time.

20. summarex

Yup
    She still feels she has more to contribute...

21. patty cline

WOW! That would be great!!!! Guaranteed win for republicans down the road...thanks Nancy! Go for it!

22. Bill

Only idiots support that thing. Actually, saying that is an insult to idiots because even they know she's the scum of the earth. So, my apologies.

23. me

she is power hungry.......she doesn't have guts!
    americans just told her that she is destroying the middle class...and she doesn't listen

24. Controller of Planet X

I echo what my friend Monster Zero said.

25. BobInIrvine

@Monster Zero: "Bill after Bill passed behind closed doors against the will of the majority." Um, the majority ELECTED these congresspersons, and the MAJORITY voted in Democrats. The MINORITY REPUBLICANS have done nothing but obstruct and obfuscate, including your statement.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12