November 5th, 2010

Pelosi is running for Minority Leader amid calls for her to step down

Washington (CNN) - Outgoing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Friday she will run for minority leader, even as some moderate and conservative Democrats have said she should step aside. Pelosi made the announcement on Twitter: "Driven by the urgency of creating jobs & protecting #hcr, #wsr, Social Security & Medicare, I am running for Dem Leader."

She further explained her decision in a statement.

"Our work is far from finished. As a result of Tuesday's election, the role of Democrats in the 112th Congress will change, but our commitment to serving the American people will not," Pelosi said in a statement. "Many of our colleagues have called with their recommendations on how to continue our fight for the middle class, and have encouraged me to run for House Democratic Leader."

Moderate Democratic Rep. Dan Boren of Oklahoma was the latest to urge Pelosi to step aside and not run for House Minority Leader.

"I cannot in good conscience support Nancy Pelosi as our leader," Boren told CNN in a telephone interview, "I intend to support a more conservative Democrat, a Democratic alternative."

"I think most people in the Democratic caucus are giving her room to make the room to retire, to leave gracefully. But, you know, I think it is important to see over the next 24-48 hours if we will see an alternative emerge," Boren said.

Boren's public pressure for Pelosi to go follows similar comments from North Carolina's Democratic Rep Heath Schuler and Utah's Democratic Rep. Jim Matheson who have also said they would prefer a new, more centrist Democratic leader.

"I think based on the outcome of this election, we should all acknowledge what the American people said, and they are looking for change. And I think when you as a political party suffer losses of historic proportions, it makes sense to change things up," Matheson told CNN in a telephone interview." "Therefore I don't think she should be running for leader."

Still, after Tuesday's losses, moderate Democrats are now a very small part of the Democratic caucus. The bigger question, according to multiple Democratic sources, is what Pelosi's fellow progressives want her to do.

Americans United for Change, a progressive political organization, sent an email notice to its members Friday morning urging Pelosi to stay.

The notice asks people to send a personal note to Speaker Pelosi.

"Make sure she knows that we will support her," said the email.

"If she runs, she will win," said one senior Democratic source.

Still, while Pelosi's tireless fundraising has built reservoir of support among Democratic lawmakers, several Democratic sources said there are a number of progressive Democrats who do not want her to run.

Meanwhile, Kentucky Democratic Rep. John Yarmuth, who had been a staunch supporter of Pelosi's, told a television station in his home state he wants Pelosi to step down as Democratic leader.

"I know that there is some thought that Nancy Pelosi may stay around," Yarmuth said Thursday, "As good a leader as she has been, I don't think she's the right leader to take us

Filed under: Nancy Pelosi
  1. JRod

She is as clueless as always. Didn't she understand what the American public just told congress? We gave the majority to the republicans not because they are that great, but because we are sick and tired of the democrats led by Pelosi. She had her chance, she should let a good Democrat lead the minority.

November 5, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  2. Lola

She needs to go and take her over-sized mallet with her!

November 5, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  3. Steve (the real one)

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA
    Speaker Pelosi has done a wonderful job. All the haters can hate on. It shows your ignorance and bigotry. As far as conservative democrats and Blue Dogs go, how about you get the hell out of the party. We don't need any half stepping on our side of the aisle. Kick rocks!
    ------------------
    Dutch, Explain why opposition is hate, ignorance, or bigotry. What you are telling me is you are a hater, ignorant, and a bigot yourself as you OPPOSE the GOP! It appears to me this works both ways! I oppose her ideas, THAT is not the definition of hate, ignoranc, or bigotry! Your constant name calling is more reflective upon YOU than your target! As far as blue dogs and conservative democrats go...I believe that is up to all voters, not just you!

November 5, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  4. Want our country back

She says she has a lot of work left to do ... yeah the country is not totally destroyed yet and she wants to finished what she started. How can a public servant make their own rules? Her philosophy is, pass the bill and read it latter. I think that at 70 years old, she should step aside and let the younger generation have a shot at fixing things.

November 5, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  5. John Baker

Who exactly within Congress is "urging" Nancy to run for Minority Leader – the Republicans?

November 5, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  6. The Seattle Safety Cone on Facebook

Glad she is staying in the House...but the dems need a new leader...

November 5, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  7. Paula Moscatelli

She can run, but that doesn't mean she will win. It is obvious she hasn't got that message yet!!!

November 5, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  8. masse

I just love Pelosi. As Dem, I would say she should run and she will win.

November 5, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  9. Howard

I had hoped that the November 2nd election would have been the end of this miserable self-serving witch. The only thing as messed up as Pelosi, are the fools who continue to put her in office !!! She continues to put partisian politics and persona power before the welfare of our country. she does not deserve to be in public office, let alone a congresswoman. She has already damaged America enough, while siphoning out millions of our hard earned tax dollars !!!

November 5, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  10. PA Moderate

she needs to go...put a new face on the minority to fight with and take away a favorite Fox news target. It has become all about her to the point that it now a distraction. Sorry Nancy..."Man-up" and step down

November 5, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  11. dave S

I hope wins.............Good news for conservatives in 2012. She is a resounding example of what is wrong wit Washington.

November 5, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  12. stevec

I hope she stays – to further guarantee the Dems lose big in 2012

November 5, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  13. PELOSI2012

pelosi give us HCR, Education Reform, Wall Street Reform. The truth is she did her part to save OBAMA, Obama allowed Rahm and the conservative Democrats and Clintonites and Bush Holdervers to drag him down. It is time for OBAMA to surge. The Democrats under Pelosi will ensure that the GOP can't get anything done, unless it's in the interest of the people. From Choas come order and OBAMA will outflank the GOP and General Pelosi will command the troops!

November 5, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  14. Laurie Muir

America is at its darkest hour right now. I am sick of the lies, I am sick of the bigotry. I am sick of the name calling and the destructive voices aimed at our first African American President. Obama has done nothing wrong. He has done more in his first 2 years in office more than any other president I can think of. But its still not enough for the racist white people. History will be kind to this congress and this president. The stupid idiot white people in this country slammed MLK and then sing about what a hero he is today. People in this country are idiots. I am so sick of white people in this country. What the fools don't understand is the sins of the father will be placed on their children. By the year 2025 white people will no longer be the majority in this country (thank God) and sometimes the oppressed can be worse than the oppressor. Do you think these clowns are thinking about what kind of world they are going to leave to their children and grandchildren? hell no. They are so full of hatred and ignorance. I am done with all of it.

November 5, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  15. Laser Focus

Yep, they really got the message of the American people after the elections. Stay the course and keep that Laser Focus that won all those seats for the party....

November 5, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  16. Jason

I would hope that most Dems would agree with me. This has nothing to do with hate Dutch. She needs to step down to help her own party. She is going to make it worse by staying. Thats just a fact.

November 5, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  17. Charry

Wes B. – that's the problem with this country right now. People vote based on emotions rather than facts.

November 5, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  18. Anonymous

Pelosi needs to go. She is as crooked as they come and has no respect for what the American people want. She wants power and control and when she doesn't get it–she lies. She needs to go lie with the dogs.....................then wake up with lice..................

November 5, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  19. Cieth

Just like Obama – she doesn't get it.

November 5, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  20. Mr. Mike in NJ

If nothing else, we need Ms. Pelosi to counter the nonsense coming from their (GOP) new mouthpiece Boehner. Make no mistake, the GOP/TEA folk are small minded, evil, and not too bright. If anyone drove things off of a cliff, it wasn't her. Rock on Nancy.

November 5, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  21. Peter s

Go for it Mama Pelosi! history is on your side because your are the greatest regardless of the elections outcome!!! May the almighty bless you abundantly!!

November 5, 2010 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  22. Realist, KY

I'm sure she has the complete backing of the GOP on this one. She has been clueless the past 2 years and still doesn't get it.

November 5, 2010 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  23. Jenn

Uh, I'm pretty sure the American people sent a basic message of what you can do with your "commitment" to them. They spoke....you didn't listen....they drove their message home in the votes. Time for you to move on. The only ignorance and bigotry that I saw going on was all the Dems who thought they could basically tell the people to shove it, we are doing what we want....and now they have to eat crow.

November 5, 2010 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  24. Jabberfish

I think we should offer to let her keep the jet if she'll retire and go away. I mean she have to pay for all the fuel, crew, maintenance and etc but hey it's a free jet. She could put it out in a back part of her yard and hold party's and pretend like she's still the Queen Bee. :)

November 5, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  25. Steve (the real one)

IMHO, this appears to make this more about her rather than the party but I'm not a Democrat, so no dog in this fight for me!

November 5, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |