November 7th, 2010

Keith Olbermann speaks out

(CNN) – Keith Olbermann, who was indefinitely suspended by MSNBC, spoke out via Twitter Sunday.

“Greetings From Exile! A quick, overwhelmed, stunned THANK YOU for support that feels like a global hug & obviously left me tweetless XO,” he wrote on his Twitter page.

The post comes two days after MSNBC President Phil Griffin suspended the primetime host without pay for contributing to political campaigns, which is in direct violation of NBC news policy.

– CNN's David DeSola contributed to this report

Filed under: Keith Olbermann
  1. Elizabeth Ferrari

It's difficult to know how MSNBC could have handled this more badly.

November 7, 2010 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  2. Lousy Biased Coverage

If he broke the rules of his employment contract then he deserves the suspension. He put himself on as a news analyst when he did the election night coverage and interviewed the same candidates he contributed too without any disclosure. Democrats can spin it any way they want but rules are rules that even they are expected to follow them or you can quit and find employment elsewhere. Rules are for everyone, including Keith, not just the likes of Juan Williams which many democrats threw under the bus because they didn't like him also appearing on Fox News.

November 7, 2010 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  3. jeremy

I think Olbermann is a hypocritical tool, but what he decides to do on his own accord and support certian politicians is his own business. Good luck with your fight.

November 7, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  4. zago

Can you imagine MSNBC without Keith? Will all due respect for David Gregory, MSNBC has yet to replace Tim Russert. Keith, I do believe you are amongst the best not just at MSNBC but on cable news. I can forgive you for this no brainer sin. Your show is fast paced, intelligent and well choreographed. You have great guests and arguably the most substantive show of late. Anyone can see that you fighting for a cause and you take a side in which you believe. What makes you different from many is that you support your opinion with facts. Intellectually challenged folks might have hard time processing your show. This might in turn hurt your ratings which might be zeroed in in MSNBC taking swift action against you even when they know in they hart this points towards their demise. Keith, words not enough. You are a hero! You'll get back by the end of this week you MSNBC is dead. Without you, it's over. People starving for your intellectual feed!

November 7, 2010 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  5. Proud Member of Global Zero

I support Keith Olberman. Yes, I was one of over 275,000 signatures to get him back on the air. I am glad that I do not have to ask my employer who I can make a private contribution to. I just wish if MSNBC has this policy, maybe others should have it too.

November 7, 2010 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  6. witch56

LOVE LOVE KEITH!!! Miss you hope you will be back soon. You are one off the best.

November 7, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  7. Anonymous

@jeremy It was Olbermann's decision to accept a job that had rules regarding campaign contributions. He did not have to accept the job and he must accept the consequences of violating company rules. It is not just a matter of his business because he signed a contract with conditions. He has thanked his fans for wanting him to returned but he has not whined about the consequences. He was suspended, not fired, and I hope he will be reinstated soon. Also, I would point out that his show is "commentary," not news. I enjoy his show but do not confused it with serious journalism. Too many viewers don't seem to know the difference.

November 7, 2010 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  8. marina urbach

I support Keith Olbermann.
    All his colleagues at MSNBC should resign today en masse!

November 7, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  9. Chipster

@Lousy Biased Coverage I'm a Democrat and resent your assumption that Democrats are spinning Olbermann's violation of the rules. Some fans, regardless of political affiliation, may be doing that but that's probably because they don't understand employment contracts. It appears that Fox News has no such contract stipulations for their commentators nor for their anchors. Juan Williams should not have been fired. His comment was not offensive and was about his uncontrollable feelings, not about anything Muslims were doing. (i.e. Imus' ugly slander of female college basketball players who did nothing to deserve the attack). Olberman has excepted his suspension and will likely return soon. This is not a Republican/Democrat issue at all. Its about people like you and me who have experience with employment contracts and those who don't.

November 7, 2010 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  10. Georgia_Jim

Where is it in the Constitution that Corporations can control our lives? Keith has every right to make a personal politcal donation without Corporate consent. Just because their is a Corporate policy don't make it right with the law for Americans rights. Free all of us from Corporations and let Keith come back!!!!

November 7, 2010 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Olbermann was not suspended due to his contributions. He was suspended because he did not get MSNBC's approval to do so first.

November 7, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  12. laurafromwillis

I loved your shows! And I wish you ALL of the best, no matter what MSNBC does.
    I am a faithful, dedicated FAN of yours and appreciate any and all you do. Funny, isn't it, how petty things can get, when the heat is on. As though you don't have the right to share with others. How can this be wrong?
    Well, some would say that at 65, I am too old to comment or judge. HA. You are, in my opinion, a great representative of what so many feel and don't have the opportunity to say.
    May all of your future endeavors be successful. .

November 7, 2010 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  13. vic nashville tn

MSNBC way to make news Keith Olbermann didn’t do anything wrong compare to FOX 2million this very small amount

So Always FAT CAT escape

November 7, 2010 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  14. marina urbach

Bear with me: I saw the writing ON the wall for a while.
    I am surprised it did not happened a long time ago.

November 7, 2010 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  15. marina urbach

This calls for a massive boycott of MSNBC.

November 7, 2010 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  16. Frank

Now let me get this straight...Fox Spews gives millions of dollars to the repubs and hires them for commentators, but when one working stiff from another cable "news" channel gives $2,400 to the dems, thats somehow a capital offense?? Give me a break!!

November 7, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  17. marina urbach

'I would point out that his show is "commentary," not news. I enjoy his show, but do not confused it with serious journalism. Too many viewers don't seem to know the difference.'
    Anonymous: the practice of Keith Olbermann is very serious journalism. His 'commentary' is serious and the research done is always impressive. Journalism practice is not born through' immaculate conception'!

November 7, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  18. Billy D Williams Lookin' Mofo

MSNBC should apologize to Olbermann, since he wasn't the only on-air talent making such donations, yet he was the only one punished. The other two donors, including morning anchor Joe Scarborough, gave to Republicans. MSNBC could really punch up the tenor of their apology by announcing that Phil Griffin, the author of this idiotic dictate, has been relieved of his duties permanently. How about it, MSNBC?

November 7, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  19. Audrey Galer

How can I help get Keith back on his program? He is absolutely my favorite commentator. He speaks the truth as he sees it with clarity, conviction and fairness. We need his voice. We need him back and pronto!

November 7, 2010 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  20. Katie

@Lousy Biased Coverage: I do so hope you do not watch Fox if that is your handle. Not that MSNBC does not have their point of view on some of their shows. They do. But, Fox? A total shell for the Republican party where things that flat are not true are repeated over and over and over until the public things they are true. It is pathetic.

As for KO's suspension: He broke the rules; he is suspended without pay; he is not whining. I am an Independent, and I definitely did not throw Juan Williams under the bus. But his employer said they had repeatedly asked him not to do what he did, and he just ignored their request. I have no idea, but that is what their statement said.

November 7, 2010 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  21. bob

Support Keith Oberman. Get him back on the air.

November 7, 2010 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  22. rdepontb

To: Lousy Biased Coverage,

Keith said he did not encourage anyone, publicly nor privately, to donate to any candidate or party. I guess this is "not disclosing" on one hand, but also it is not "urging" anyone else to donate. His opinions are well known, given he is an incredibly and articulate commentator. I'd say it's a wash-"disclosing his donation" vs "suggesting someone else donate"-no more, no less. He certainly is taking his medicine well; let's all take a lesson to play by the rules, and if you don't, you get to PLAY BY THE RULES-i.e., suspension.

November 7, 2010 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  23. Get A Grip

Does anyone even watch MSNBC?

November 7, 2010 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  24. Russ Simpson

Bring Keith back!

November 7, 2010 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  25. duckbutter

being silly and stupid on his show is what he should be fired for not giving money to politicans...

November 7, 2010 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |