(CNN) – At the end of a two-business day suspension for contributing to three Democratic candidates last month, Keith Olbermann is apologizing – but not to his bosses.
Back on the air Tuesday night, the liberal talk show host said in a statement released Monday evening that he was sorry to his fans "for having precipitated such anxiety and unnecessary drama."
But the MSNBC host sounded clearly frustrated with the way his network has implemented its policy of banning employees from donating to political campaigns and the insinuation he was attempting to hide his actions.
"You should also know that I did not attempt to keep any of these political contributions secret; I knew they would be known to you and the rest of the public. I did not make them through a relative, friend, corporation, PAC, or any other intermediary, and I did not blame them on some kind of convenient 'mistake' by their recipients," he said.
"When a website contacted NBC about one of the donations, I immediately volunteered that there were in fact three of them; and contrary to much of the subsequent reporting, I immediately volunteered to explain all this, on-air and off, in the fashion MSNBC desired," Olbermann also said in the statement
In the statement, Olbermann went on to accuse NBC of "inconsistently" applying its policy and suspending him without first hearing his side of the story.
I was suspended without a hearing and learned of that suspension through the media.
Olbermann was suspended Friday after Politico reported that he had donated to three Democrats seeking federal office.
Olbermann gave $2,400 - the maximum individual amount allowed - to each of the campaigns of Kentucky Senate candidate Jack Conway, and Arizona Reps. Raul Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords.
Conway lost his bid, while Grijalva and Giffords eked out wins.