November 12th, 2010

BREAKING: Supreme Court orders 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy to remain in effect for now

(CNN) - The Supreme Court has turned aside a homosexual rights group's request to temporarily suspend enforcement of the controversial "Don't Ask/Don' Tell" policy on gays in the military.

The justices issued a brief order Friday allowing the policy to remain in effect temporarily, until the full appeals process is completed.

The Log Cabin Republicans had filed an emergency request with the nation's highest court to reverse the Ninth Circuit U-S Court of Appeals decision to allow the military to continue with "don't ask, don't tell," while the government appeals a lower court ruling that the law is unconstitutional.

Filed under: Don't Ask Don't Tell • Supreme Court
  1. rich

Can the supreme court stop Bloomberg from increasing the MTA fares ??

November 12, 2010 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  2. S. In California

While I have mixed feelings on this I still think this is a good decision. On one hand no one should be denied to serve IF they desire but the other part of me wonders if this is acceptable to our men and women ACTUALLY SERVING? If they have no objection then by all means repeal it.

November 12, 2010 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  3. John

I have been a long time supporter of the premise gays are born with a genetic reason they are gay. I fully support that with the clear understanding other factors such as environment and an amount of choice also play roles. We have now been blessed with the scientific determination there is a genetic motivator for a person to be a liberal. One can only hope they can find suitable treatments for both of these genetic defects and rid the world of both scourges.

November 12, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. John Wilson

Gee, now that's a real surprise coming from the religious right, conservative, wing nut Robert's Court...

November 12, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  5. LovesIrony

"This policy will end under my watch"
    Tick tock Mr. President.

November 12, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  6. Marcus

Before anyone starts saying any stupid stuff, the SCOTUS had few (if any) other options to do. It's legal (or at least common SCOTUS) procedure to do that.

November 12, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I really wish I had a better understanding of why this was enacted in the first place. This is an all volunteer military. If they want to fight and serve the country that way, then let them. I don't understand what the big deal is. If they do the job and serve properly, then there is no need to expell them from the military just because they are homosexuals.

November 12, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  8. FauxNews

Wow, the Supreme Court upholding the law, imagine that.

November 12, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |