November 13th, 2010

Democrats to push for $250 Social Security payment

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - When House Democrats return to Washington on Monday, a top priority will be putting a $250 dollar check in the mail to 58 million Social Security recipients.

Democrats plan to vote early in the lame-duck session on a bill that would provide Social Security recipients with a one-time payment, according to the office of Earl Pomeroy, a Democrat from North Dakota who authored the legislation.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Congress • Democrats • Social Security
  1. Terry - Indiana

We are looking for a law firm that would be willing to file a class action lawsuit against the Federal Government for a one-time, lump sum payment of all Social Security Taxes paid into the Social Security System over the last 45 years. We are only interested in the amount paid into the system, plus interest, and compounded year-over-year for the last 45 years.

November 13, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  2. Como

Democrats don't get it. Extend the tax cuts, repeal the damaging parts of Obamacare ( all of it maybe), fix financial legislation so that businesses can plan and run. My wife and I do not need a $250 bribe to vote Democrat in 2012.

November 13, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  3. Bill from GA

As any new spending needs to be paid for, I suggest that Congress roll their own pay back to 2009, or even better, 2008, levels.

When Congress got it's Cost Of Living Adjustment (COLA) it increased the base for new COLAs; which are calculated as a percent of salary.

Generally, we had little inflation, as computed for Seniors; actually, cost of insurance and medicine went up a lot.

Consider, also, that Seniors have been paying for this country at a much higher tax rate for most of their lives.

November 13, 2010 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  4. T'sah from Virginia

Well, my mom is 86 and she will appreciate that money. She worked all of her life, along with my dad; raised 7 kids and we were DEPRIVED but SURVIVED and all end up getting college degrees!! The LITTLE money she collects each month for her lifelong sweat; she deserves $250!!!

This is T'sah – OUT of Campaign MODE – N2 Moving America Forward with our Leader, President Barack Obama!!

November 13, 2010 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  5. Darth Vadik, CA

$250K ONLY????
    Social security being paid out of the taxes is one of the smallest part of the taxes, and people that make 250K+ really won't be hurt if they had to pay that part from their taxes even after the 250K they made.

But then again I am a Liberal, I am pro small guy, and my reasoning that $15 out of a poor mans paycheck is a lot more than $30 out of a rich mans paycheck makes sense to me....then again....if I insisted that it is my way or no way ONLY, I'd ha a borderline personality disorder.

November 13, 2010 11:36 am at 11:36 am |