November 14th, 2010

GOPer calls for big change

(CNN) - A leading Tea Party-backed conservative called on Sunday for a major shakeup to the Republican leadership.

Now that the midterm election season is over, South Carolina Republican Sen. Jim DeMint suggested it's time to replace Michael Steele as Chairman of the Republican National Committee.

"I'm looking for some alternatives right now," DeMint said on "Fox News Sunday." "We need a strong national Republican organization to help organize the energy of the tea parties and the other citizen activism that we are seeing out here right now."

He said he appreciates Steele's service, but that the get-out-the-vote effort during the midterm election cycle could have been stronger.

"We were actually out-manned on the ground," DeMint said.

He declined to say who he would support instead, but did emphasize the need to defeat President Barack Obama in 2012.

"Going into 2012, we need a really strong Republican party to match the get-out-the-vote that we saw from the Obama machine last time," DeMint said.

After his visible role in the midterm election cycle his name has come up as a potential presidential candidate in 2012.

DeMint said he has no plans "right now" to launch a bid, but also said his views aren't too radical for a nominee.

"I don't think I'm far to the right at all," DeMint said. "I'm looking for someone who will have the courage and leadership abilities to come out and make the hard decisions that we need to turn this country away from a cliff."

Filed under: 2012 • Jim DeMint
  1. johnRJ08

I have zero use for Michael Steel, but this guy DeMint is very troubling. He's to the right of Jefferson Davis, and has no real convictions other than bringing down the country's first black president. Some day, the Republican Party is going to have to deal with DeMint and extremists like him.

November 14, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  2. Matt

I doubt DeMented is going to run in 2012 – there's not enough room in the Fox Nooz lineup for another potential presidential nominee. ;)

November 14, 2010 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  3. ST

Oh poor Steele! With all your efforts and energy roaming around in a bus "fire Pelosi", now it is your turn "fire Steele". I now believe the world is round.

November 14, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  4. GI Joe

There they go again - those good ole white southerners need educatin' in some kind of bad way. Kick 'em all out.

November 14, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  5. a in austin

The GOP never needed the money Steele raised – they knew from Citizens United they would get all the corporate and foreign money they would need. Demint is just that – so demented. He will never represent me – what a scumbag! I would be ashamed to admit I represented South Carolina – so far behind the time! As for Jindal, he's already a bought and paid for politician by big oil. TOO RADICAL – YEPPERS, you are!

November 14, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  6. annette

i believe obama saved us from the cliff in the first place and now the repubs want to take us back to the top of the cliff once again. if given the president a chance instead of going against him, we would be moving ahead even if at a snails pace. the repubs scare tactics and the teaparty going "rogue" is what is going to put us back over the cliff again. i can't wait for 2012.

November 14, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  7. pat

Steele was only used to attempt to show that republicans were a diverse party. Now that they are on "top" again they don't NEED HIM. Mr. Steele should have seen this coming.

November 14, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  8. cane

DeMinted is the modern version of Joe McCarthy. Of course SC was the first state to break away from the Union so why should anyone be surprised.

One thing I'll give the creep, he speaks his mind unlike most mealy mouthed politicians

November 14, 2010 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  9. Draeggo

DeMint is too far right. I'm for getting rid of the far right and getting more moderates. The far right is NOT the answer to republican problems. Keep Steele... boot DeMint he borders on being full blown fascist. Time for moderate Republicans to stand up to the Tea Party and put them out to pasture. Extreme is extreme... left or right... they both hurt our country.

November 14, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  10. Joseph Agunbiade

Use him and dump him, right? Republicans hate one thing, articulate minorities; and like one thing, spending nation's coffers on wars.

November 14, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  11. Terry

"I don't think I'm far to the right at all," DeMint said. Wow! This guy is so far to the right he makes those good ole boys in Deliverance look normal.

November 14, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  12. BlackMonday

I've been up and I've been down, and I've yet to find a single article that shows a Republican proposing anything that isn't a reaction to Obama's agenda. If the DeMint wants to energize his base and get some votes in 2012, maybe it should attempt to propose something that doesn't start with the word "repeal".

November 14, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  13. Mark

How's everyone enjoying their tea and "trickle down"?

November 14, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. George

Big change, but no plans. Just distract, blame the President and hope voters are too stupid to notice the difference.

November 14, 2010 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |