November 15th, 2010

Dictionary love for Palin

(CNN) - Sarah Palin has made her way into the dictionary, sort of.

"Refudiate" was named the 2010 word of the year by the New Oxford American Dictionary.

The former Alaska governor famously used the made-up word on her Twitter account in July, which sent the media into a tizzy.

"Ground Zero Mosque supporters: doesn't it stab you in the heart, as it does ours throughout the heartland? Peaceful Muslims, pls refudiate," Palin said on her Twitter account.

There was speculation that she meant to say "refute" or "repudiate" – and this was an amalgam of the two.

According to Robert Wicks, a publicist for The Oxford Dictionary, the dictionary chooses a buzzed-about word to top their list. Wicks said "refudiate" is not yet in the dictionary, but it will now be submitted for consideration as a possible addition. Other contenders this year included "gleek," "retweet" and "Tea Party."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Peter s

After refudiate add moron because thats how that word sounds!

November 15, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  2. Mike, Albany

Please do not legitimize this woman's stupidity by allowing "refudiate" to become a new entry in the dictionary. It sends the wrong message on so many levels. It says that, while any uneducated fool can butcher the English language, if they happen to be in the public eye, they will be rewarded for their idiocy.

November 15, 2010 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  3. PalmReader

Let's celebrate the dolts.
    ------
    Reading the all comments today coming from the right ... I'd say you hit the nail on the head perfectly. Apparently, FOX NEWS and Conservative Talk Radio have their viewers completely brainwashed. How amazing that people can be so gullible.

November 15, 2010 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  4. Marie MD

And the dumbing down of America continues with the biggest moron of them all leading the way.
    I am tired of asking CNN to stop printing anything that this woman does (at least keep it in entertainment) so this is my last post unless she loses that voice or she drops dead.
    That being said, thanks for giving us two years plus of stories about the most hated, devisive, imbecile, narcissistic, clueless, uneducated, liar, AKIP plant (2007 TN convention), aging second place ex-beauty queen. I can think of so many more other names I would like to call her, but I think I have posted enough to know I HATE THIS WOMAN!!!

November 15, 2010 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  5. T'sah from Virginia

Hold up wait a minute – My post above is a combination of two different posts!! Oh well, at least it's about the same story!! (Typing too fast)

Sorry for palinbashicating because there are too many POST regarding the PA'IN (definition of palinbashicating: bashing Palin)!! LMAO

I am N2 Moving America Forward with our Leader – President Obama!!

November 15, 2010 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  6. Jaywing

Ah... how sweet. Last year (2009) Sarah won "THE LIE OF THE YEAR" award with her made-up Death Panels. This year (2010) she wins "THE STUPIDEST MADE-UP WORD OF THE YEAR." Display them proudly on your 'resumay', Sarah. I'm sure the 'Socialist Voter Panels' who actually decide ('steal" in your parlance) elections will be duly impressed!

November 15, 2010 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |