November 15th, 2010

Dictionary love for Palin

(CNN) - Sarah Palin has made her way into the dictionary, sort of.

"Refudiate" was named the 2010 word of the year by the New Oxford American Dictionary.

The former Alaska governor famously used the made-up word on her Twitter account in July, which sent the media into a tizzy.

"Ground Zero Mosque supporters: doesn't it stab you in the heart, as it does ours throughout the heartland? Peaceful Muslims, pls refudiate," Palin said on her Twitter account.

There was speculation that she meant to say "refute" or "repudiate" – and this was an amalgam of the two.

According to Robert Wicks, a publicist for The Oxford Dictionary, the dictionary chooses a buzzed-about word to top their list. Wicks said "refudiate" is not yet in the dictionary, but it will now be submitted for consideration as a possible addition. Other contenders this year included "gleek," "retweet" and "Tea Party."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Expat American

Look up ‘Stupid Redneck’ in the dictionary and low and behold you will find a picture of Sarah Palin.

November 15, 2010 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  2. S Callahan

You gotta laugh......so many call themselves smart but the truth is they have been dumbed down....now it's in printed proof!!

November 15, 2010 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  3. Johnny Chrome

Since it's still not in the dictionary, that means "refudiate" is up for definition. I hereby submit that "refudiate" means "explain in monosyllabics."

November 15, 2010 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  4. ThinkAgain

Here's another dictionary word:

Palin: noun Quitter, Liar, Mooch (one that quits; a person who tells lies; beg, sponge, steal, respectively).

Examples of "Palin:" She pulled a Palin by breaking her sworn oath to the people of her state mid-term to pursue money and fame; went on to make mountains of money by scaring old people with tales of Death Panels, and while at her former job, accepted a housing allowance while living in her own home, all the while claiming to be a person of "values."

Palin = Quitter, Liar, Mooch

November 15, 2010 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  5. Rob

Great, now we are validating the dumbing down of America by putting words made up by Queen Dumb herself into the dictionary.

November 15, 2010 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  6. Wes B.

Let's celebrate the dolts.

November 15, 2010 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  7. Marry

CNN, why do you torture us with these “entertainment” stories on the “political ticker”?????????

November 15, 2010 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  8. Aaron Cole

They should also add "stratigery" and "subliminable", that were coined by President George Bush (43).

November 15, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  9. ODA155

Everything about her is "made up"...

November 15, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  10. pc

this is out right sickening that such an ignorant woman can butcher words because she has no real knowledge of anything to come off getting kudos for being so stupid. america has been so dumbed down because of this hillbillie that it is shameful. please america don't let this vile,hateful woman do this to us. we are to proud and strong of a nation to be punked by this moran. we are becoming a laughing stock around the world because of this "thing" that mccain dumped on us.sarah palin is the anti-christ in lipstick. her witch-dr brew-hu spell that was performed on palin in her church seems to be working. america please break this spell!

November 15, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  11. Duck Fallas

This will only serve to retardiate the English language.

November 15, 2010 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  12. T'sah from Virginia

Okay – so that means a lot of people WATCHED!! Please don't think this would add up to the amount of votes she will get if she runs for President!!!

Also – I guess CNN, MSNBC, Fox News – all Journalist – all Critics – all Pundits – all Curiosity Seekers – all Haters – all Lovers – and all "small pockets of America" people watched the show!! Wow, I feel left out because I DID NOT watch it............NOT!!!

America is still MOVING FORWARD with our Leader – President Obama!!!

Dictionary love for Palin = CNN Fetish for PALIN!!!

I REPUKECATE this nonsense (I hope that's not a word – if it's NOT, put it in the dictionary – it means I'm PUKING all over the place over some nonsense")!! Next will be "teenpregnacated" (pregnant teen) or "singmomacated" (single mom) or "pregsingmomacated" (pregnant single mom)!!!! My Point – everything this family does is RIGHT even if it is 100% WRONG!!!

I guess there is more of Sarah Palin coming all week so I just I have to get used to it!!! But I'm still concentrating on Moving America Forward with our Leader, President Obama and OUT of Campaign MODE!!

November 15, 2010 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  13. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

There should be a special dictionary for the idiotic things Silly Sarah says. It should be titled: I Have the Education of a 1st Grader.

November 15, 2010 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  14. sam

You're kidding me...

November 15, 2010 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  15. Carramea

Dumb woman

November 15, 2010 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  16. No Tea For Me

And here is my word ekemunidale. I'm bored.

November 15, 2010 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  17. Take America Back from the Libs

And all you Left Wing Socialistic Loving Liberals think Sarah is dumb......how many of you have put a word in the dictionary?
    By-the-way.......while you are busy cleaning out your desks of all the Tofu wrappers and apple peels, be sure to take you posters of Al Gore and George Soros off the walls......Thank you

November 15, 2010 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  18. CBR

And this is important because?????

November 15, 2010 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  19. Doyle Wiley, MI

Oh, so that's how so many unnecessary words find a home.

November 15, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  20. DIANA

To bad she won't know how to look it up. Thanks Webster, now I have to deal with her whenever I need to look up a word.

November 15, 2010 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  21. Me

Peaceful Americans, please consider the future of our country should this intellectually challenged individual decide to run for the Presidency in 2012.

November 15, 2010 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  22. Take America Back from the Libs

I have always wanted to know why Liberal Democrats hated Sarah Palin so much......then I saw some photos of 100 of the top Liberals females in the Democratic party........yuuuuuugly!! I rest my case....mystery solved. It's called Jealousy!

November 15, 2010 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  23. Bill P

You have got to be kidding me!
    This moron cannot speak english so we are going to change the language to suit her and her illiterate followers?
    Welcome to the continuing dumbing down of America!

November 15, 2010 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  24. diridi

I do not know why this idiot is seen on CNN all the times...without brains, even in CNN guys....there is no substantial stuff here....

November 15, 2010 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  25. John

Want are we doing now rewarding IDIOT. Well look up IDIOT and it will say see SARAN PALIN.

November 15, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |