November 15th, 2010

Palin show ratings gold

(CNN) - TLC appears to have found gold in Alaska – or, at least in Sarah Palin's Alaska.

The premiere of the eight-episode reality television series on the Discovery Channel spinoff Sunday drew nearly 5 million viewers, according to just-released Nielsen numbers. Or, put in presidential primary terms, more people watched the former Alaska governor's show than live in Iowa and New Hampshire combined.

According to TLC, the program was the No. 1 show the network has ever launched, edging out the 2003 premiere of "What Not to Wear."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Carramea

People are just that dumb arent they . What do they see in this moronic woman? Its all a show to run for president I didnt watch it nor will I ever. I hope she enjoys the million bucks an episode shes getting

November 15, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  2. GOP Taliban Victim

What a complete joke Discovery. What happened to the DIscovery that I use to know that was proudly the flagship network of enlightenment and documentaries? Now Discovery has sold-out their soul and entered the gutter trash of reality television. What a joke, shame on your Discovery executives for putting this trash on air.

November 15, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  3. idesign

The debut of Sarah Palin’s Alaska delivered 5 million viewers.

PDS sufferers hardest hit. Five million viewers. That’s a good month for Olbermann, or a good year for “Parker Spitzer”....LOL

Sarah IS an economic stimulus.

November 15, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  4. DIANA

I have to say, she may be smarter than we think. If she's using this for 2012, instead of paying for her campaing commercials, SHE'S GETTING PAID to campaign, how many other candidates have been able to do this. This still doesn't mean she'll win.

On the other hand, I hope this keeps her there and she'll leave the other 49 states alone.

November 15, 2010 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  5. Iowaeyes

That anyone would watch this halfbrain money hungry user is beyond me. This Iowan will never watch this wench.

November 15, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  6. Expat American

Palin, her Family in co. is like driving by a wreck on the highway. You don’t want to look and you don’t, but since so many people are then you are forced to inch along in traffic until the voyeurs are done gawking. TLC is hoping to boost their cable ratings and make some money…and who better to help them do this than America’s favorite drunken Slack Jaw – Sarah ‘Ah Shucks’ Wailin’ Palin.
    Ratings gold in the same way manner as the Paris Lohans gain ratings when they step out of a limo in full view of the paparazzi on the day they forgot to wear their undies….

November 15, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  7. Clwyd

The gold is tarnished from this woman's absolute ignorance and poor knowledge of the topics she is talking about. She screws up almost every time she opens her mouth. I would watch if she got harpooned!

November 15, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  8. Sniffit

This belongs in the entertainment section, not on the political ticker.

November 15, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  9. Peter s

Mr. Alexander Mooney!! you can all try to repackage, rebrand Sarah but if the goods are damaged no matter how you position it! people won't buy!!. PLEASE CNN CHANGE THE POLITICALTICKER TO PALINTICKER! pathetic! if you can't get real news shut down the dang thing!!!

November 15, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  10. Nick , California

I thought she didn't like celebrities? She railed against President Obama on the campaign trail comparing him to Paris Hilton! Sorry, didn't watch "mama grizzly".. ha ha.. so lame! If she is so tough.. why did she quit her elected position as the Governor of Alaska.. why did she quit the people who had faith in her?? That's an easy one... MONEY! Do you think she is doing this to benefit the people of her state?? or benefit her pocket book! I understand that the times we live in are "every man (or woman) for themselves" but this is really a sad day for America! Politics has now become a reality show.. so very sad.

November 15, 2010 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  11. FM

5million is just a small fraction of the entire nations population. It is not a big surprise.

November 15, 2010 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  12. idesign

Leftie-Heads-Explode… Sarah Palin’s TLC Debut Breaks All Records.
    The first episode of the eight-part series was the most-watched program launch in TLC’s history.

November 15, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  13. Bill

Good for Sarah – if she has such high ratings for this show, PLEASE keep her there as a host, not involved in American politics. If she knows something about Alaska that's more than what I have seen for her knowledge on other subjects. I watched the show for a few minutes and that's all I could stand. At least I can swtich off the channel – unfortunately I can't do that when she's all over the media prognosticating about things that are way out of her league.

November 15, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  14. idesign

Sarah = Record Success for TLC. How sweet it is.

November 15, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  15. Oy Vey Az

I hope TLC and Palin will be very happy with each other. Is TLC getting into the political propaganda business too by airing Sarah's thinly veiled messages? ... I think so !!

We all use to talk about the alignment of the planets ... now the talk is all about the media's political alignment.

With all this new found fervor of the media I think that political straight talk is the only thing in this decade that will never again align.

November 15, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  16. Beth

I still won't be able to take anyone seriously if they have a reality show before running for political office. Anyone who has ever watched a reality show knows they are heavily edited. You might as well call her show an 8 week campaign ad. If I want to learn about Alaska, I'll find another show.

November 15, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  17. T'sah from Virginia

Okay – so that means a lot of people WATCHED!! Please don't think this would add up to the amount of votes she will get if she runs for President!!!

Also – I guess CNN, MSNBC, Fox News – all Journalist – all Critics – all Pundits – all Curiosity Seekers – all Haters – all Lovers – and all "small pockets of America" people watched the show!! Wow, I feel left out because I DID NOT watch it............NOT!!!

Anyway, I don't think I missed anything because all of the news channels will be covering and I will be forced to watch it!

America is still MOVING FORWARD with our Leader – President Obama!!!

November 15, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  18. ThinkAgain

Here's some footage I'd like to see: Trig recognizing his mother. She's been away from him so much, I doubt that he can ...

And whatever happened to Track? Shouldn't he have been "stop-gapped" for another tour to Iraq or Afghanistan? Not that I want him in harm's way, but did Palin pull a back-door deal to keep her son from serving like everyone else?

November 15, 2010 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  19. Rob

The same 5 million people who watched also believe man walked with dinosaurs, that the Earth is the center of the universe, and Waffle House = fine dining.

November 15, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  20. Marry

CNN, you are becoming very annoying with your “Palin” stories! Can you count how many you post within a day??????? One more stupid than the other??? Please…………………………

November 15, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  21. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Who cares what TLC thinks about this moron. I "Refudiate" everything she stands for.

November 15, 2010 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  22. kari

who doesn't love a train wreck.

November 15, 2010 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  23. connie

you people are so jealous, oh i forget liberals the haters. I watch the show it was cool, it was beautifully done, it showed so much of Alaska and yes she was on it so what she know Alaska. It was just beautiful scenery. Boy liberals are so closed mineded it is so sad.

November 15, 2010 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  24. keith

I live in northern Canada, and her woods sense is pretty much nil. In the grizzly scene I could only imagine the camera boat filming the shot was heavily laden with men all pointing some pretty heafty rifles at the bears.

November 15, 2010 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  25. Gale

Boy, you Democrats are some of the most hateful, mean, sarcastic people I've ever heard of in my life, and I ain't young! Get a grip people, a lot of people do like her!!

November 15, 2010 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |