November 15th, 2010

Powell picks next Obama chief of staff

(CNN) - Forget saying the president took a shellacking in the midterm elections, Gen. Colin Powell thinks it was a "body blow"

"The American people are losing some focus on President Obama, what he's trying to do," Powell said in an interview Monday on CNN's "Larry King Live." "When you look at the election results … I think it was more than a shellacking. I think it was a real body blow that he now has to reflect on and figure out how to come back."

When asked if he would serve as Obama's chief of staff, Powell, who served as secretary of state under former President George W. Bush and supported Obama in the 2008 election, said he has "no interest."

Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell suggested on CNN that Obama pick Powell as his next chief of staff, but Powell turned the table right back.

"Governor Rendell would make a great chief of staff," Powell said. "This is the first chance I've had to suggest that Ed Rendell is an accomplished politician, accomplished governor, mayor of a great city."

Filed under: Colin Powell
  1. Bill in Florida

I pray that Barack Obama will bounce back and win the election in 2012. He is a good man with a great heart. He is, I believe, also a great leader for our country in this time of crisis. He may, in fact, be a one-termer, but that would be tragic. He worked with George Bush to save our country from the economic abyss. I hope the next two years will bring an economic rebound and that more people will find work again. I also pray that people will go back to work and that unemployment falls to the lowest point ever despite the many projections otherwise. I pray that the USA will gain the upper hand in its fight against deficit spending and indebtedness. and that we'll finally gain energy independence. I pray also that we'll find a good solution for our problems with immigration that will be a win win for everyone. Finally, I pray that we'll learn that we can agree to disagree civilly. May God forgive us for our mutual hatred and bigotry.

November 16, 2010 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  2. Meez

The link to this article is incorrect. It says that President Obama has lost focus, however Powell said that the AMERICAN PEOPLE have lost focus of what the President is trying to do. Get it right CNN please. Our president has not lost focus of his goal to help the American people. He has stayed his course, despite all the setbacks that ignorance has caused him. I support President Obama 100% and I know for a fact that if people would just calm down and let our leader lead we will end up in a better situation.

November 16, 2010 04:36 am at 4:36 am |
  3. darla

The Republican gaining the Congressional house got some help from the mainstream media they downplay Obama's successful
    accomplishment and highlighted the rhetorics and lies of the Far right. you can't blame this poor excuse of a messenger. they're just a tool for the upper right if they don't do this they are jobless. now that they satiated their bosses hey WHERE'S THE JOBS? DID THE REPUBLICAN LOWER THE DEFICIT ALREADY?

November 16, 2010 06:19 am at 6:19 am |
  4. John

Powell in 2012...

November 16, 2010 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  5. Mollybee

The American people lost focus due to the incrediblly expensive slander campaign launched by Wall Street with the help of the Supreme Court. Money talks. It's disheartening to see Mitch and John planning their mischief on the middle class.

November 16, 2010 08:02 am at 8:02 am |