November 15th, 2010

Powell picks next Obama chief of staff

(CNN) - Forget saying the president took a shellacking in the midterm elections, Gen. Colin Powell thinks it was a "body blow"

"The American people are losing some focus on President Obama, what he's trying to do," Powell said in an interview Monday on CNN's "Larry King Live." "When you look at the election results … I think it was more than a shellacking. I think it was a real body blow that he now has to reflect on and figure out how to come back."

When asked if he would serve as Obama's chief of staff, Powell, who served as secretary of state under former President George W. Bush and supported Obama in the 2008 election, said he has "no interest."

Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell suggested on CNN that Obama pick Powell as his next chief of staff, but Powell turned the table right back.

"Governor Rendell would make a great chief of staff," Powell said. "This is the first chance I've had to suggest that Ed Rendell is an accomplished politician, accomplished governor, mayor of a great city."

Filed under: Colin Powell
  1. Ancient Texan

Colin, the nation spent a year and a half telling him to stop spending and LISTEN to the voters and not his Progressive base. You could have clued him also, but you had endorsed his his radical agenda.

November 15, 2010 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  2. Monster Zero

Body blow? How do you deliver a body blow to a puff of smoke...Obama still doesn't get it that America does not want his ideology of enlightenment, social just-us, and redistribution of middle-class wealth.....Ooommmmmmm...he is still thinking it is in the delivery....Ooommmmmmm...and not in the substance of the pudding he has cooked up...Oooommmmm. Who do you think got all those six figure government jobs that he has doubled in two years?

November 15, 2010 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  3. Frankie

Not as much by far as the body blow(s) America took from 8 years of W.

November 15, 2010 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  4. NO, SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Gen Colin Powell is the only person who served under GW I have great respect for, a little for Candoleeza but definitely Powell. He would definitely be a HUGE asset to POTUS and his honesty to step up when we didn't find the WMD is why I respect this man. If he were to run for POTUS I would vote for him without a doubt.

November 15, 2010 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  5. willie floyd

As a former Independent turned Dem. I have a tremendous respect for this gentleman. Maybe he would agree to be an advisor to our Pres. I agree with him re. to Rendell-would be a great choice.

November 15, 2010 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  6. Right Leaning Independent

Actually, I believe we are very focused on what Obama is trying to do!! That is why we voted so strongly against the Dems on Nov 2nd. The message was clear to those of us that voted.... We reject Obama and the Dems agenda!!! Powell is not focused on the correct message that was sent.....

November 15, 2010 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  7. NSHSDad

Powell, now he's a blessed relief from the unending nightmare of Sarah Palin in the spotlight. God bless!

November 15, 2010 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  8. Tony 140

Nobody of any substance wants to get near Obama.

November 15, 2010 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  9. scott

What Obama needs to do is get someone smart that understands politics. After all we all know Obama has no idea how to run a country. Debt keeps going up, people out of work, housing market falling, and health care costing everyone.

Watching Obama and his liberals ruin this country.
    I am Scott and I approved this message.

November 15, 2010 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  10. Dean

Obama needs to bring jobs back home. If everyone was working the problems would go away. And I am not talking about CREATING jobs. There are not many new jobs to crreate. Everything we need is being made right now in China and other third world countries.

November 15, 2010 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  11. Not fooled

I think Gov. Ed Rendell would make a great Chief of Staff. He knows how to explain everything simply to the public which I feel was lacking the first two years. The people need a clear picture of what is being accomplished. Explain, explain,explain.

November 15, 2010 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  12. jay in NC

Mr. Powell your speech, delivered on February 5, 2003, made the case for the Iraq war. I remember listening to that speech on the radio while driving. I can still remember exactly where I pulled over to the side of the road to give you my full attention. Afterwards I called my wife and said that well if Powell says it so then it must be true. Sir, now we know that you lied. Later you stood by and allowed the world to attack President Bush, never offering any defense. I have never heard or read of you apologizing to the American or Iraq people.You lack courage and loyalty and therefor are not worthy of our respect.

November 15, 2010 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  13. NameJim

Real American patriots want Obama and most politicians out for the count. Alan Keyes for president. Eliminate the Fed. Return to the gold standard Bring the troops home. Get the Khazars out of government and nullify their influence forever.

November 15, 2010 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  14. jules sand-perkins

For years, I hoped to see Gen. Powell elected as our first African-American president.
    I regret that it didn't happen that way.
    It would have been a glorious event in history.

November 15, 2010 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  15. BeanerECMO

Powell is going the way of Carter. They need professional help to diagnose the onset of something dibilitating. Re: "The American people are losing some focus on President Obama, what he's trying to do;". It is precisely that the American people see what he is doing; has seen what he has wrought; and foresee what calamity (ies) he will bring with the unfettered support of the House and Senate dems that there was such a shellacking with bodyblows. Please, Powell, get to a professional now, before the your condition progresses further and there is no hope as demonstrated by Carter!!

November 15, 2010 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  16. Tsah from Virginia

Hmm, that may be a god move since we need all we can get from PA... He's tough and straight-forward and well-respected!!!

I think Powell would be good too... but he says he's not interested and we should take his word for it!

We all should be into Moving America Forward with our current leader, President Obama!!

November 15, 2010 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  17. W L Jones

You can wiin by losing, if the Republican law makers do not produce ,it will be a shue in for the Democratic...either way.

November 15, 2010 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  18. Anonymous

All these supposed politicos only see what they want to.
    The presidents favorables are up by 7-9 points AFTER the election.
    The Republicans fialed to vote out Pelosi, failed to vote out Reid and did not take control of the Senate
    So the only body blow was to the country.

November 15, 2010 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  19. King Benny

Pure disrespect from Rendell. Did he consider Powel's reputation, age, or political affiliation? Does he forget that Powel could have once given hollywood-Clinton a good hiding at the polls? That Powel once helped Obama with his clout does not in any way make him a "boy" to Obama. He is a "father" and should remain so.

November 15, 2010 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  20. Seanathair

McKeon wants to raise the Defense Budget. As a military retiree I would agree, PROVIDED the increase is not shipped to Cal9fornia which gets all the Defense funding now. Please don't tell me it is deserved. I've been there and seen it; first they get grants to build the R&D facilities, then they use the facilities as justification to get thhe R&D grants. It's been going on for the last 70 years.

November 15, 2010 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  21. Ryan

I think Governor Ed Rendell would be an excellent chief of staff. He can help President Obama. President Obama should appoint Rendell as a Chief of Staff.

November 15, 2010 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  22. paul

Russ Fiengold should be chief of staff. One of the only people that could work with both parties and knows how congress works.

November 15, 2010 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  23. Baby Boomer

I truly wish everything wasn't so exaggerated when it comes to President Obama. (i.e., The worse defeat since the 1930's, etc.) Bill Maher pointed out the other night that it wasn't the worst because in 1994 President Clinton lost both the House and the Senate. What will be overblown is the same things that have been for the past 2 years. That's if President Obama says the sky is BLUE the Republicans will say NO, it's Periwinkle. I don't expect Colin Powell nor Ed Randel to be the next Chief of Staff. President Obama will make his own decision on that, then prepare to go toe to toe with the Republican House for the next 2 years. GOOD GRIEF...

November 15, 2010 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  24. TOTAL FACT

Well as far as I am concerned and millions more of us he will not come back. Where I was for you though Powell nopw I will have to rethink it I guss color is darker than water and will stick together. However color is not the answer to America's problems it is totally Obama and his agenda of destroying the America we knew. He must go or we lose it all.

November 16, 2010 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  25. Brainwashed by GOP

No way giving this spot to Gov Rendell. The way he dissed Obama many times before. This is absurd to even mention his name.
    We all know how much of a supporter that he was of Hillary Clinton's campaign.

November 16, 2010 01:17 am at 1:17 am |