November 16th, 2010

Hill Hallways: Elevator inquiries

Washington (CNN) – Riding in the elevator on the Senate side of the Capitol, I stopped at the first floor, the doors opened and before me stood Massachusetts Republican Senator Scott Brown and Connecticut's independent Democrat Joe Lieberman, chatting as they waited for the "senators only" lift.

In the 15-seconds my elevator door was open, I saw Brown pat Lieberman on the arm and ask about his future electoral prospects.

"How are you going to work your magic this time? Run as an independent?" Brown asked Lieberman, who lost his Democratic primary in 2006, forcing him to run as an independent.

"We'll see," Lieberman replied.

Lieberman and Brown are both up for re-election in 2012. Both are the only members of their states' delegations who are not Democrats, though Lieberman caucuses with the Senate Democrats.

Filed under: Hill Hallways • Joe Lieberman • Scott Brown • Senate
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

isn't that special?!
    Meanwhile some of us on this blog site are ready to tear each other's eyeballs out over the political shenanigans of these eejits that we elect into office to make our lives living hells!
    Go figure!
    Ain't life in America grand?!
    Let's step back and get a grip folks. Once they reach office WE cease to exist for most of them.

November 16, 2010 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  2. Lisa

Flippin'. And floppin'. And plannin'. Deceivin'. Anything to get the vote.

November 16, 2010 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  3. ronalde

joe's finished he couldn't win a dog race if he was the only one running.

November 16, 2010 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  4. Sue

If the Republicans want my vote next time then they have a few things to accomplish.....first – stop pandering to the Tea Party, Palin, Limbaugh, Beck and the rest of the radicals......second – stop this Party of NO and all their blocking of everything that doesn't suit their Grand Old Party and start thinking about what is best for the American people and this country.....third – stop trying to make Obama a one term President instead of focusing on the real problems we are facing in this country that effects all of us, Independents, Democrats and Republicans......If they let Palin win as their canidate for President, then they can forget about my vote.

November 16, 2010 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  5. Nancy Pelosi, the wicked witch of the west, the DemocRAT gift that just keeps on giving

Well the Republicans got him re-elected last time! The DemocRATS wanted his head on a platter. For the life of me, I can't understand why he caucases with the Socialist DemocRATS. His days are numbered it would seem.

November 16, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  6. Whatever

Have either of them done anything the past two years?!?! HECK NO!!!! Voters should say that to them, especially Libermann!!!

November 16, 2010 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  7. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Check the log-in name! As far as we are concerned, he can do whatever he wants. The reason he won the last time is the Republicans ran a sacrificial animal against him and pretty much the entire state Republican party campaigned for him. Well, we now have a Democratic Governor, and our state Republican party chariman has no use for Senator Joe. Even better, his Connecticut for Lieberman party (which he never officially joined) voted to refuse him membership and endorsement.

November 16, 2010 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  8. Steve (the real one)

A special elevator for Senators? I figure since I'm a tax payer and these folk work for us, I'll ride it until it breaks (if I want), since I own a piece of it! So my Congressman can't ride it? How about the President? How about the bosses of these Senators (us)? Really?? This is why people spend millions for a job that pays 2 hundred thousand : POWER, PRESTIGE, and a private elevator!!! I think my liberals buddies would agree with me on this one (at least just this once)!

November 16, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |