November 16th, 2010

Murkowski attacks Palin

(CNN) - Sen. Lisa Murkowski appears to be taking her ongoing feud with fellow Alaskan Sarah Palin to the next level, telling CBS the former vice presidential nominee is not worldly enough for the top job.

"I just do not think that she has those leadership qualities, that intellectual curiosity that allows for building good and great policies," the Alaska senator said in an interview that aired Monday. "You know, she was my governor for two years. And I don't think that she enjoyed governing."

The comments came the same day the latest vote count in Alaska now shows Murkowski leading Tea Party and Palin-backed Republican challenger Joe Miller in the contentious Senate race. New results posted by the Division of Elections give 84,563 write in votes to Murkowski, along with 7,601 challenged votes being counted for her.

The family feud surrounding Murkowski and Palin has almost taken on a Hatfield and McCoy-like animus. Palin defeated Murkowski's father, Frank, in 2006 after a divisive gubernatorial primary fight. After a chilly relationship with Sen. Murkowski, Palin backed Miller in his bid to unseat the one-term senator (who was first given the job by her father). Palin was also at times sharply critical of Murkowski throughout the campaign, calling her tactics "shameful."

Should Murkowski ultimately be successful in her write-in effort, she signaled to CBS she may not be the firebrand conservative that some of her colleagues may expect.

"I will tell you, I am not one of those who wants Obama to fail. If he does well, that means the country's doing well," she said. "We don't have time as a nation to spend all of what we do blocking. We have got to figure out how we get to a point where we can be sitting around the table and talking about these difficult problems and advancing some solutions."

Filed under: Lisa Murkowski • Sarah Palin
  1. Ben in Texas

Thanks for telling us what we already know. Now, if you'd just go back to Washington and do your job, without voting in lockstep with your party, we'd appreciate it. Otherwise, you're no better than that nutcake Miller you beat.

November 16, 2010 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  2. Chris - Denver

Note to Murkowski: No fake!

November 16, 2010 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  3. blahb31

The more I hear from Murkowski, the more I like her. I hope that the results of the Alaska Senate race shows the country what Palin's home state thinks of Palin and her endorsements.

November 16, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  4. kmp

Murkowski I commend you on your comments and think you would make a great independent, you think for yourself and you did what you felt was best for AK unlike Miller and Palin who are at the best fame mongers who can only think of what is best for them. So thank you lisa I may not always agree with you but I respect you.

November 16, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  5. Bill

Good for you Sen. Murkowski. We need more like you in the Senate, who are willing to put the issues important to the country before petty partisan squabbling.

November 16, 2010 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

--------------------------------------------------
    Wish we had 60 more like you in Congress Sen. Murkowski.

November 16, 2010 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  7. Sniffit

That's not "attacking" in any way, shape or form. That's giving an honest opinion in response to a question. Compare it to Jabberwocky Barbie's own minions like Miller and O'Donnell who, instead of giving the expected "oh yes, she's wonderful...real POTUS material...an intellectual and political heavy-weight" response, danced completely around the subject when asked pointed questions by reporters about whether they think JB is qualified to be president. Seems to me CNN might be attacking and seeking to delegitimize this exchange for no other reason than it happening on some other network....that, of course, and using it as an excuse to sell the "family feud" distraction-narrative on which they want us all to focus so we're not looking at facts and evidence like Jabberwocky Barbie's completely inane, baseless, self-serving ideological pandering and her actual performance when tested. After all, allowing facts and evidence to really test JB and prove her wanting would destroy the controversy factory they've purposefully turned her into as a means for generating stories and ad revenue.

November 16, 2010 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

...And of course,you're right, Her Royal Half-Wit Highness is an idiot.

November 16, 2010 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  9. Jaywing

I like this Republican. Just tell it like it is Lisa. Dear Sarah, I'd be breakin' out that fishin' pole, 'cause with this true Momma Grizzly takin' aim at your sorry butt, I doubt you have a chance at getting elected to anything.

November 16, 2010 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  10. Zuloo

Murkowski is not intelligent enough to criticize anybody. She should belong to a group call "IGNORANCE".

November 16, 2010 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  11. wonderful lady

Gooooooo Lisa,sa-ugh is a fool.

November 16, 2010 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  12. Agathe

The political divisiveness portrayed in the media obfuscates the desire of most average americans for the country (it includes the administration, politicians of all affiliations and all americans) to succeed. If the country succeeds we will all benefit from it. Name calling is childish and counter productive.

November 16, 2010 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  13. Laurie in Spokane

Finally Republican (Murkowski) with some sense. Palin isn't qualified to be dog catcher in my opinion, much less POTUS. And it's time Republicans quit blocking each and every thing proposed by Democrats just because Democrats proosed it. It's time for Republicans to grow up.

November 16, 2010 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  14. Mollybee

And just when I was saying, "Where have all the leaders gone"? This is definitely a Republican for whom I'd vote.

November 16, 2010 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  15. Anonymous

I may be a Democrat, but I respected this woman's fight for the seat held by her family for years. And now- with frank and honest words about Palin, I may be an actual fan.

November 16, 2010 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  16. nru

I like Lisa – and she is pulling no punches. I have nearly stopped believing in my GOP because of these same issues.

November 16, 2010 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  17. robertJ

HOLEEEEEE COW – A Republican with a mind of her own. I am a Dem but any Rep that can clearly and simply address the problem with politics truthfully and head on must have something on the ball – That and she see's thru Palin like everyone else does and isn't afraid to say so. Soooooooooooooooo refreshing ! If only it were contagious and she could sit next to Beohner and Mcconnell

November 16, 2010 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  18. jeff, alabama

This Mur"COW"ski nut is one
    ugly Republican. She has a lot
    of gall to talk about worldliness
    when her dear old corrupt daddy
    put her unto office by appointment
    to start her political career.
    Alaska voters should remember
    that the fruit doesn't fall far
    from the tree.

November 16, 2010 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  19. Denise

I hope Murkowski wins. She's a common sense individual with the country's best interest at heart. "We don't have time as a nation to spend all of what we do blocking. We have got to figure out how we get to a point where we can be sitting around the table and talking about these difficult problems and advancing some solutions." What a novel idea, advancing solutions! Alaska has a gem in her.

November 16, 2010 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  20. Lynn

Finally a Republican with guts to admit Palin is a loser. A hick from Alaska who has nothing going except looks and brass.

November 16, 2010 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  21. coloradoDem

Wow somebody actually talking sense in alaska!

November 16, 2010 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  22. Trey

I am a staunch Democrat, but if I was living in Alaska, Murkowski would get my vote even if there was a Democrat running. I have done alot of reading on her and her Family and I have to give them alot of respect. She has the State of Alaska in mind not herself I do feel as though she will look out for the good of Alaska. Miller needs to give up, Murkowski has Won! Thank God!

November 16, 2010 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  23. don

Finally, a national Republican leader who will stand up to the half term Alaska governor and call it like it is. The first top tier Republican running in 2012 who publically admits that momma grizzly doesn’t have what it takes will capture the nomination of the party and perhaps win the presidency. Someone needs to be gutsy enough to admit the emperor has no cloths. Independents will have great respect for you.

November 16, 2010 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  24. George

Go, Lisa! Expose that phoney Palin and get the job done, instead of lining up on one side or the other. That's what statesmen do.

November 16, 2010 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  25. Truth in Reporting, Texas

This is not an attack. It is her opinion, and she is absolutely right. Palin attacks anything and anybody that gets in her
    way. She is vengeful, spiteful, mean, and at times hateful. So, get a grip Mooney, you are pathetic.

November 16, 2010 11:26 am at 11:26 am |