November 17th, 2010

Could Palin beat Obama?

(CNN) - In a yet to be aired interview, Sarah Palin said she believes it would be possible for her to beat President Obama if she ran for President.

During an interview for an upcoming Barbara Walters special, Palin said "I believe so," when Walters asked Palin "If you ran for president, could you beat Barack Obama?"

"I'm looking at the lay of the land now, and ... trying to figure that out, if it's a good thing for the country, for the discourse, for my family, if it's a good thing," Palin said.

Palin appears to be inching the ball ever slightly toward acknowledging she is seriously thinking about running for president next year.

In a lengthy interview for a profile in this weekend's New York Times magazine, the former Alaska governor flatly said she is considering launching a White House bid and is currently in discussions about the possibility with her family and trusted allies.

"I'm engaged in the internal deliberations candidly, and having that discussion with my family, because my family is the most important consideration here," she said in the interview with journalist Robert Draper, now posted on the New York Times Web site.

Palin - who currently operates with only a handful aides, most of whom have little experience running a national campaign – also said she might need to bring more strategists into her fold to help communicate her record.

"'I'd have to bring in more people - more people who are trustworthy. I know that a hurdle I would have to cross, that some other potential candidates wouldn't have to cross right out of the chute, is proving my record," she said. "That's the most frustrating thing for me – the warped and perverted description of my record and what I've accomplished over the last two decades."

But Palin, who famously clashed with some of Sen. John McCain's top aides when she was the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, made clear it won't be easy for political strategists to step foot in Palin's world:

"What Todd and I learned was that the view inside the bus was much better than underneath it, and we knew we got thrown under it by certain aides who weren't principled," she said, adding "the experience taught us, yes, to be on guard and be very discerning about who we can and can't trust in the political arena."

Palin, as has long been the case, also directed fire toward members of the media for distorting her record – a challenge, she said, that must be overcome if she runs for president.

"Other candidates haven't faced these criticisms the way I have," she said. "I'm on television nearly every single day with reporters ... Now granted, that's mainly through my job at Fox News, and I'm very proud to be associated with them, but I'm not avoiding anything or anybody. I'm on Facebook and Twitter. I'm out there. I want to talk about my record, though."

Palin added that she "fears for our democracy" given the state of the news media, saying sarcastically of news organizations: "They're the elite…they know much more than I know and other people like me!"

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Charlie in Maine

"Palin is thinking" Thanks for the warning.

November 17, 2010 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  2. No Name Calling

Wah, Wah, Wah? Everyone picks on me and my poor family. They make fun of my poor pitiful children just because i make them walk on stage unwed and pregnant. And I personally taught Willow how to defend herself on facebook. And look at my poor Down's syndrome baby, who I chose not to abort. And my neighbor spies on me. And Katie Couric asks me gotcha questions, etc. etc

Seriously, Can anyone name Joe Biden's kids? or Huckabee's? or Pelosi's? etc. etc.

Crickets

November 17, 2010 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  3. Ellid

The real danger to democracy is if this lying, self-serving twit is elected President.

November 17, 2010 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  4. Steve Oehmen

Her "record"?!? What record label would that be? And what twenty years? If she wants to run on her record, she seems dead in the water. This is an aborted mission before it leaves the ground. I can't wait to hear what she thinks her "record" is.

November 17, 2010 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  5. Lee

Please run for President Sarah...please. It will be an easy way for the President to get a second term, and it will hopefully make you irrelevant to the masses when they learn how truly ignorant you are.

November 17, 2010 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  6. midwestmatt

"They're the elite…they know much more than I know and other people like me!" – Palin

Then 99% of the country is the elite, my dear.

Please run, my dear. Then the video of you introducing the African preacher, who believes in witches, demons and exorcisms, at your crazy Pentecostal church you deny every belonging to, will show you for what you are- A liar, a religious nutcase, an anti-American fascist and not all that bright.

November 17, 2010 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  7. ronalde

please do,this country needs a good laugh.you couldn't run a waterfall.

November 17, 2010 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  8. Wes B.

Her crying about the media is sickening. 99% of the time she avoids anyone that will ask her real question. And when they do ask her real questions, she calls it "gotcha journalism." What a baby.

She claims that because she's on Twitter and Facebook–along with her working for Fox News–that she's "out there"–not avoiding people. Really? Is she replying to a lot of hard-hitting questions on her twitter account?

Look, she's a good enough person. She loves her family and her country. But I really don't think she's intelligent enough to be the leader of our country. I think the leaders of this country need to be really, really smart people. Intelligence counts!

November 17, 2010 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  9. MiddleOfTheRoad

Countdown to self-destruction.

November 17, 2010 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  10. neil

Does anyone really think she is bringing her family into it.They are nothing more that props to her.

November 17, 2010 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  11. Dave

Please do it Sarah, I want to ensure a 2nd term for Obama, and your conduct will facilitate just that. Make my day!

November 17, 2010 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  12. king

i told you that palin has a good chance of winning the presidency. i would like to see the president bow out of this one because the american people dose not apreciate any thing he does for them. they deserve someone like a palin. that have no idea how to deal with foreighn powers she think bullying them is the only way to go taking a page out of the repugs hand book. she have no idea to get the economy on track all she know what someone else told her that it is not so good. i personally think the economy gainning 2 percent growth is great for america considering that we are not a producer as china and india. weve got to look at the reality. the only way to compete with china and india is to slash our labor wages 5 and 6 dollars a hour. just to compete with china and india salary that would illimate the middle class all together. so 2 percent growth rate is great in my point of view, i just dont see our country competing with these countries that is a hell of alot cheeper to produce goods in and winning. we need to start up new industries thats the only way we can compete obama tried that with clean energy jobs and the repugs and the american people killed that prospect quickly. now we are just going to wait around like fools as other countries took over the one industry we could have took the lead in, and wonder why this is happening.

November 17, 2010 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  13. Tam

Delusional. And dumb.

November 17, 2010 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  14. Just Jane

God help us if this whacko is elected, let alone given her party's nomination.

November 17, 2010 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  15. John

Saran Palin there is no way you are Qualified to run for President. You are hateful, you lies and you are one of the most RACIST person I know. Plus you are a QUITTER,and you know nothing about Politics or running of AMERICA. You will lose by a land side.

November 17, 2010 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  16. king

these repugs acted like their was not a great recession two years ago they acted as if obama and the dems just got up one day and said hey lets go spend like their is no tomorrow. be realistic and facturous when you tell the people things. they spend as they did because if they didnt we probably would be an america.

November 17, 2010 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  17. Timbo

I hope you run guaranteeing Obama wins another term. If the tea party is energized by her imagine the democrats who despise every self serving opportunity she does for money wrapped in fake notions of patriotism.

November 17, 2010 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  18. needNewGov

Isn't 2012 supposed to be the year the earth dies/ends? Let's see Palin as President/world's supposed to end. Makes me a believer.

November 17, 2010 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  19. mikey970

hell..im gonna run....if an alaskan eskimo hillbilly that wouldnt complete her term as govenor in a state with 500,00 folks can run...i can run from a city of 4 million...

November 17, 2010 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  20. Indy

Palin thinks that being on Twitter and Facebook is "being out there" ? Her tiny little record of what she thinks she has done will be what brings her down. The actual truth about what she has done verses what her staff did will finally bring the truth into record and sink any chance at a run for POTUS. A celebrity or reality TV star will never grace the Whitehouse. By opening the pandoras box of her record, she could end up with criminal charges for what she has done and the truth about the illegall activities with Trans Canada Gas alone could be the end for her. If she seriously thinks she has what it takes to be POTUS she is seriously dellusional, and her family and freind need to have an intervention about her unrational thought process.She is too thin skinned and irrational to make it past any primaries

November 17, 2010 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  21. Jay

Please run. Please, please, please. I can't wait for all the debates and the interviews you'll have to give if you want to be taken seriously. You've proven you don't answer questions too well, I can't wait for the laughs again. You will obviously not receive the Republican nomination after you are exposed again as an intellectual lightweight. Then, in your infinite narcissism, you will run as the third party Tea Party candidate. And President Obama will sail to his deserved 2nd term.

Run by all means, Ms. Quitter From Elected Office. Usually you have to have a good track record to be taken seriously. I guess you don't understand that simple requirement.

To her supporters, my how rich is she getting off you people? I wish we could get an average IQ of her supporters.

November 17, 2010 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  22. Bob Dog

Sarah, America needs you. We need your cheap, superficial, and self-serving behavior to destroy any remaining credibility in the republican party. We need you to make a circus out of yourself. We need you to drain the life force out of the far right. We need you to rally the ignorant and misguided so they can do no more harm. We need you to make a mockery out of our political process by running for the highest office on the planet with virtually no character or judgement to do so. We need you to use your ego to rip huge holes in your legitimate republican competition in the primary. We need you... Well, you get the point.

"Run, Sarah, Run!!"

November 17, 2010 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  23. nat

I dont dislike Sarah but dont want her to run either...either way Republican all the way!!

November 17, 2010 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  24. Eddieboy

I can't fathom how anyone could consider Ms Palin as a legitimate presidential candidate. Wait, maybe she would since she rarely finishes anything she starts.

November 17, 2010 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  25. Kenneth

The fish in my tank know more than she does ... and the people "like" her.

November 17, 2010 09:47 am at 9:47 am |