November 17th, 2010

Could Palin beat Obama?

(CNN) - In a yet to be aired interview, Sarah Palin said she believes it would be possible for her to beat President Obama if she ran for President.

During an interview for an upcoming Barbara Walters special, Palin said "I believe so," when Walters asked Palin "If you ran for president, could you beat Barack Obama?"

"I'm looking at the lay of the land now, and ... trying to figure that out, if it's a good thing for the country, for the discourse, for my family, if it's a good thing," Palin said.

Palin appears to be inching the ball ever slightly toward acknowledging she is seriously thinking about running for president next year.

In a lengthy interview for a profile in this weekend's New York Times magazine, the former Alaska governor flatly said she is considering launching a White House bid and is currently in discussions about the possibility with her family and trusted allies.

"I'm engaged in the internal deliberations candidly, and having that discussion with my family, because my family is the most important consideration here," she said in the interview with journalist Robert Draper, now posted on the New York Times Web site.

Palin - who currently operates with only a handful aides, most of whom have little experience running a national campaign – also said she might need to bring more strategists into her fold to help communicate her record.

"'I'd have to bring in more people - more people who are trustworthy. I know that a hurdle I would have to cross, that some other potential candidates wouldn't have to cross right out of the chute, is proving my record," she said. "That's the most frustrating thing for me – the warped and perverted description of my record and what I've accomplished over the last two decades."

But Palin, who famously clashed with some of Sen. John McCain's top aides when she was the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, made clear it won't be easy for political strategists to step foot in Palin's world:

"What Todd and I learned was that the view inside the bus was much better than underneath it, and we knew we got thrown under it by certain aides who weren't principled," she said, adding "the experience taught us, yes, to be on guard and be very discerning about who we can and can't trust in the political arena."

Palin, as has long been the case, also directed fire toward members of the media for distorting her record – a challenge, she said, that must be overcome if she runs for president.

"Other candidates haven't faced these criticisms the way I have," she said. "I'm on television nearly every single day with reporters ... Now granted, that's mainly through my job at Fox News, and I'm very proud to be associated with them, but I'm not avoiding anything or anybody. I'm on Facebook and Twitter. I'm out there. I want to talk about my record, though."

Palin added that she "fears for our democracy" given the state of the news media, saying sarcastically of news organizations: "They're the elite…they know much more than I know and other people like me!"

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Brian

I truly believe that this is the best news that Democrats have received in 6 months. There is only one thing that will get Obama re-elected, and get some of the House and Senate seats back – the inclusion of Palin on the ballot. Even if she does not get nominated, she will destroy other viable candidates like Romney during the primary. What an early Christmas gift for Obama ( that noted Muslim!)

November 17, 2010 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  2. James Brooklyn N.Y.

"'I'd have to bring in more people – more people who are trustworthy. I know that a hurdle I would have to cross, that some other potential candidates wouldn't have to cross right out of the chute, is proving my record," she said. "That's the most frustrating thing for me – the warped and perverted description of my record and what I've accomplished over the last two decades."

I need a translator to rear her statements. Even the reporters can't figure out where to put the coma's and periods. She is the face of the retard party alright.

November 17, 2010 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  3. KAY

PLEASE SARAH RUN!!!!! You will give us a good laugh like you did in 2008!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!

November 17, 2010 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  4. Julius

Awesome. This will guarantee another win for the Democrats.

November 17, 2010 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  5. Chuk

America will be the laughing stock to the world the day a moron becomes president. Some are confusing extremist popularity with the hubris to lead a nation. Good luck.

November 17, 2010 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  6. Vern

"I would rather be out here than in any old stuffy Government office" that is a direct quote fro Sarah Palin That linked with Quitting her last government JOB, How could anyone trust her with the most important job in the world. Oh Yeah I forgot the American people have a very short attention span. I remind myself daily that the Anti-Christ will come dressed as a true believer.

November 17, 2010 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  7. Dicey

You know, could she really do worse than Obama?

November 17, 2010 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  8. Jay

Just shut up you hypocrite. You work for a "news" organization that clearly works against democrats and you whine how you're treated by other news outlets?

McCain, may you be eternally sad that you picked this imbecile.

November 17, 2010 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  9. mdn

It would be VERY hard to know less than Sarah and her people. Any person reading a comic book let alone a magazine, would know more than Sarah Palin. I really hope that she runs. It would be good for the country to be able to have two dramatically different choices. If Sarah wins, better get bigger toilets installed at the WH. A mama grizzly sure produces a big pile of shiz.

November 17, 2010 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  10. outsidetheasylum

look. every woman has the right to be as horrid and stupid as she wants to be, but palin is abusing that right.

November 17, 2010 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  11. Tall Ed

Maybe if you talked to all the media, instead of only Fox News, and posting to Face Book and Twitter then maybe they might treat you more "fair".

November 17, 2010 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  12. nitrodrum

Oh go away already!!!

November 17, 2010 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  13. Tino

Please run, Sarah! You would be a cinch to beat! All anyone would have to say about your record is "You quit!"... enough said. Plus, you are a certified loon...

November 17, 2010 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  14. Jay

If she runs and enough people vote for her to win the Republican Nomination, then she will guarantee Obama another 4 years. If she really cares about this country as she claims, then she needs to stay out of the race. I voted for Obama, and I don't regret it because there was no way I was going to let Palin into the VP office. Had McCain chosen someone else as a running mate, he would be president right now and he would have had my vote and many other votes that went instead to Obama. I have no doubt that he regrets his decision although he will never admit it to the public.

November 17, 2010 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  15. Prasanna

Oklahomans for Palin!! We love her anti-obama, anti-gay, anti-abortion, and pro-war/pro-gun views!!

November 17, 2010 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  16. Karina

"...I'm not avoiding anything or anybody. I'm on Facebook and Twitter. I'm out there." Mrs. Palin is giving an interview talking about running for President of the United States and this is her example of being "out there" explaining her record and positions? Facebook and Twitter? Seriously? Is she twelve?

November 17, 2010 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  17. cm

Nice move you bimbo Obama 2012!

November 17, 2010 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  18. Don

6 months ago I would have laughed. But after November 2 I believe she could actually be the president of the United States.

November 17, 2010 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  19. Doubting Sarah

Why is she giving time for an interview the New York Times magazine? I thought they were part of the "lamestream media."

And she claims that she's on tv nearly every single day with reporters, and that she's not avoiding anything or anybody. First, Fox doesn't really count. Second, Facebook and Twitter is NOT putting yourself out there. They're just a way for her and her team to take potshots at anything and anyone she disagrees with to avoid having a real debate.

November 17, 2010 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  20. chuck d

that would be great
    a Repub that all Dems hate against
    a Dem all repubs hate
    Love it

November 17, 2010 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  21. Landru

Obama's best shot at a second term is Sarah Palin running for president.

November 17, 2010 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  22. Jon

Oh, sure, she's been thinking about it *just a little*. Please. Every single move that she's made since 2008 has been aimed straight towards a 2012 bid. Why else do you think she resigned the governorship? Ten to one even the reality TV show is just an extended political ad.

November 17, 2010 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  23. Steve

I hope she runs – I can't wait to see the debates, and followup SNL parodies.

November 17, 2010 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  24. Pasta Fazooli

Palin is a fat sow,.. she condemns the media, but gorges herself at the through of all the media generated publicity.

November 17, 2010 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  25. George Welch

This woman has outlived her usefulness as a cheerleader. She is not even close to being Presidential material, and will ruin the GOP. I am as conservative as anyone, but believe John McCain should be tarred and feathered for bringing her and her family into the national spotlight. He handed them a big lotto win. It is time for her to fade into obscurity.

November 17, 2010 11:02 am at 11:02 am |