November 17th, 2010

Could Palin beat Obama?

(CNN) - In a yet to be aired interview, Sarah Palin said she believes it would be possible for her to beat President Obama if she ran for President.

During an interview for an upcoming Barbara Walters special, Palin said "I believe so," when Walters asked Palin "If you ran for president, could you beat Barack Obama?"

"I'm looking at the lay of the land now, and ... trying to figure that out, if it's a good thing for the country, for the discourse, for my family, if it's a good thing," Palin said.

Palin appears to be inching the ball ever slightly toward acknowledging she is seriously thinking about running for president next year.

In a lengthy interview for a profile in this weekend's New York Times magazine, the former Alaska governor flatly said she is considering launching a White House bid and is currently in discussions about the possibility with her family and trusted allies.

"I'm engaged in the internal deliberations candidly, and having that discussion with my family, because my family is the most important consideration here," she said in the interview with journalist Robert Draper, now posted on the New York Times Web site.

Palin - who currently operates with only a handful aides, most of whom have little experience running a national campaign – also said she might need to bring more strategists into her fold to help communicate her record.

"'I'd have to bring in more people - more people who are trustworthy. I know that a hurdle I would have to cross, that some other potential candidates wouldn't have to cross right out of the chute, is proving my record," she said. "That's the most frustrating thing for me – the warped and perverted description of my record and what I've accomplished over the last two decades."

But Palin, who famously clashed with some of Sen. John McCain's top aides when she was the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, made clear it won't be easy for political strategists to step foot in Palin's world:

"What Todd and I learned was that the view inside the bus was much better than underneath it, and we knew we got thrown under it by certain aides who weren't principled," she said, adding "the experience taught us, yes, to be on guard and be very discerning about who we can and can't trust in the political arena."

Palin, as has long been the case, also directed fire toward members of the media for distorting her record – a challenge, she said, that must be overcome if she runs for president.

"Other candidates haven't faced these criticisms the way I have," she said. "I'm on television nearly every single day with reporters ... Now granted, that's mainly through my job at Fox News, and I'm very proud to be associated with them, but I'm not avoiding anything or anybody. I'm on Facebook and Twitter. I'm out there. I want to talk about my record, though."

Palin added that she "fears for our democracy" given the state of the news media, saying sarcastically of news organizations: "They're the elite…they know much more than I know and other people like me!"

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. G D

Shocking, really??!! I though Sara said she "might" if the people wanted her. The majority of polls show a majority disapproval of the abdicating, self-agrandizing ex-Gov and low confidence in her ability to lead. Please RNC, put up someone competant instead!!

November 17, 2010 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  2. JM

Oh good. I love nothing better than listening to egotistical, clueless, unintelligent, uneducated people all day long. I get that at work and I get that watching/listening to people like Palin.

November 17, 2010 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  3. sarahpalinisatwit

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

November 17, 2010 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  4. Brian, NJ

How about going on Meet the Press, This Week, Face the Nation. Go on Hardball and Countdown. I would have much more respect for her if she did not stay in her right-wing media cocoon.

November 17, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  5. calvin

Please just let it be Thinking!!! She steps down form being governor and now wants to run for President. Please its already too much with Her in the Limefight God Help us all, and Help Her!!!!

November 17, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  6. Tammy

Morals, values and integrity...... I cant wait for Sarah Palins final decision! I say take and run with it. Bring our Country back to our foundation and let our flag fly once again with Pride and Dignity!

November 17, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  7. Anonymous

N-1 who vote 4 her is just as dum as she is. what did Mccain create?

November 17, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  8. Jason

what a coincidence. Sarah Palin running for president the same year the world is supposed to end.

November 17, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  9. Ashlie

Thank GOD! Finally, a politician people can actually trust! No wonder she scares the pants off of everyone....

November 17, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  10. angela

This woman is demonic. I pray for total exposure of her.

November 17, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  11. Softship

I wonder whether she is already thinking that if she didn't like the job she could just quit mid-term.
    Just like she did when she was "governing" Alaska.

November 17, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  12. boocat

If this dimwit runs, it will be good for the Dems....

November 17, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  13. johnrj08

I would take issue with the first three words of her statement. It is difficult to believe her when she says "I am thinking."

November 17, 2010 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  14. Tim

Open email to Ms. Palin:
    DON"T DO IT. Scratch the surface, and you'll discover all U.S. Presidents are the most powerless people on the planet. They become slaves of the situation dujour. Abraham Lincoln said it best: "I don't control events. events control me." You have a real position of power that most Washington politicians would die for. Why give that up just to live in a nice house for the next four years.

November 17, 2010 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  15. sandalista

Only in America can somebody with an IQ of a spatoon run for office.

November 17, 2010 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  16. O'Brother!

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! What an easy win for Dems if she runs! She is the epitome of Republi-tard!

November 17, 2010 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  17. Pat Reise

Hope to see Palin who is a fearless woman who stands for life, marriage and family first run for the White House. The typical woman in politics seems to preach me, myself and womanhood first. She will be a hopeful site. The Obama hope fest has ended with total disappointment. Obama has proven to be a typical politician who seek power for himself while the country suffers. Palin has accomplished more that Obama has in being a Mayor, Governor and all while being a wife and mother. Everyone knows that if you can balance being a wife and mother with a successful career you can surely balance anything.

November 17, 2010 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  18. p

...and I suppose I should start looking for properties in Canada just in case? Oy.

November 17, 2010 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  19. CitizenJP

Quitter Gov. Palin has been lying with a straight face and brainwashing some of the ignorant public for years now. How can she not know that she has to be careful who to trust in politics, when she is the one who cannot be trusted.

November 17, 2010 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  20. Jollymon

Wow. What credentials for a POTUS run:

1) Quit half-way through governor job.
    2) Foreign relations experience is being able to see Russia from Alaska.
    3) Orator skills include constantly repeating, "Lamestream media, you betchya," and ability to wink and call people by their first names.
    4) Cannot name a single periodical dealing with politics or foreign affairs.
    5) Breeds like a rabbit and would be a welfare mom if she didn't get into politics and the corruption/kickbacks it entails. (yes that is an opinion, but not far from what could be)
    6) Attends freaky religious ceremonies bordering on voodoo and exorcism.
    7) Doesn't understand insurance companies are the ones who form "Death panels" not the government's health care plan.
    8) Used to take her family to Canada for their single-payer government-run health care system, but demonizes the Dems attempts to do the same.
    9) Husband was a member of a group that wanted Alaska to secede from the Union.
    10) Plain most likely believes the earth is only 6,000 years old.

You know, based on the intelligence of most people these days, Ah-murica just might deserve someone like this idiot to be President.

*facepalm*

November 17, 2010 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  21. Nonsense

No amount of anything will get me to vote for her. I don't know why she is bothering. However, I have lost complete faith of the American voting public as they no longer vote with their heads and she _will_ be on the Republican ticket in the general election in 2012. I have no choice but, come that time, to vote independent once more.

November 17, 2010 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  22. Jeff

She's hot. I would vote for her, Hell... She could do any worst than Obama.

November 17, 2010 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  23. Eric

This lady is like herpes, not matter what you do it just never goes away.

November 17, 2010 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  24. Alistair

I hope she does run so she can get beat in all 50 states.

November 17, 2010 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  25. Ed

i think her record speaks for itself. She's a quitter who is only in it for the money.

November 17, 2010 11:07 am at 11:07 am |