November 17th, 2010

Could Palin beat Obama?

(CNN) - In a yet to be aired interview, Sarah Palin said she believes it would be possible for her to beat President Obama if she ran for President.

During an interview for an upcoming Barbara Walters special, Palin said "I believe so," when Walters asked Palin "If you ran for president, could you beat Barack Obama?"

"I'm looking at the lay of the land now, and ... trying to figure that out, if it's a good thing for the country, for the discourse, for my family, if it's a good thing," Palin said.

Palin appears to be inching the ball ever slightly toward acknowledging she is seriously thinking about running for president next year.

In a lengthy interview for a profile in this weekend's New York Times magazine, the former Alaska governor flatly said she is considering launching a White House bid and is currently in discussions about the possibility with her family and trusted allies.

"I'm engaged in the internal deliberations candidly, and having that discussion with my family, because my family is the most important consideration here," she said in the interview with journalist Robert Draper, now posted on the New York Times Web site.

Palin - who currently operates with only a handful aides, most of whom have little experience running a national campaign – also said she might need to bring more strategists into her fold to help communicate her record.

"'I'd have to bring in more people - more people who are trustworthy. I know that a hurdle I would have to cross, that some other potential candidates wouldn't have to cross right out of the chute, is proving my record," she said. "That's the most frustrating thing for me – the warped and perverted description of my record and what I've accomplished over the last two decades."

But Palin, who famously clashed with some of Sen. John McCain's top aides when she was the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, made clear it won't be easy for political strategists to step foot in Palin's world:

"What Todd and I learned was that the view inside the bus was much better than underneath it, and we knew we got thrown under it by certain aides who weren't principled," she said, adding "the experience taught us, yes, to be on guard and be very discerning about who we can and can't trust in the political arena."

Palin, as has long been the case, also directed fire toward members of the media for distorting her record – a challenge, she said, that must be overcome if she runs for president.

"Other candidates haven't faced these criticisms the way I have," she said. "I'm on television nearly every single day with reporters ... Now granted, that's mainly through my job at Fox News, and I'm very proud to be associated with them, but I'm not avoiding anything or anybody. I'm on Facebook and Twitter. I'm out there. I want to talk about my record, though."

Palin added that she "fears for our democracy" given the state of the news media, saying sarcastically of news organizations: "They're the elite…they know much more than I know and other people like me!"

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. darla

A good Presidential candidate is someone who has a record of a good parent. And Palin IS NOT THAT. Her eldest daughter is a single teen parent and the other one is talking smack and bigotry in Facebook Go ahead America vote for her in the highest public office in the land. GO AHEAD i DARE YOU LOL tHE WORLD.I know that the Conservative was very proud of how Bush behave in the international scene. and you claim that you want your country's honor back I guess being the class clown is such a tremendous honor that you want it back. I mean Obama is not not that respected because he knows what door to open after a press meeting or that he decline to be the German Chancellors impromptu personal masseuse. Now Palin . Palin will be bringing back that "honor" The honor of making America the laughingstock of the world.

November 17, 2010 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  2. Grant

Sarah Palin will NOT run in 2012, I would bet anything. She will continue the lead people on for the next 2 years, because her name in the news means money in her pocket.

When she doesn't run, if people finally realize what a joke she is she'll be so wealthy by then it won't matter. If people still fall for her "I can do more from outside the system" schtick, she'll just continue the charade as long as it pays.

It blows my mind that people would even consider someone who quit their job as Governor as a presidential candidate. She is cashing in on people's gullibility and stupidity. But apparently that pays pretty well...

November 17, 2010 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  3. kbtrpm

Anybody can become president in this country. Literally.

November 17, 2010 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  4. Jim

Let's all hope this ding bat and quitter does make a run for the Presidency. The GOP has the same old losers wanting a shot at the high office. I'm not crazy about President Obama but if Palin does get the GOP nod it will be an easy win for the current sitting President in 2012. When does Palin have time for her family? If family is so important to her why is she running all over the country spewing lies and distorted facts? Fact is that stupid ignorant Americans will cast their vote for this loser. Makes you wonder when it comes to budget cuts they always go for Education. I suppose its to keep Americans dumb because if they did have a brain they would figure it out quickly that Palin is nothing but a quitter and we all know you just can't quit the Presidency when the going gets tough. Ms.Palin do us all a favor and go back to the rock that John 'senile' McCain found you under from. Facebook, Twitter and Fox news is not facing the American people. Ms. Palin if you decide to run for the Presidency be prepared to dance with the Piper. The media will have a field day with you and once again us intelligent voters will have a couple of more years of laughs. You becha!

November 17, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  5. SAY WHAT!!!

run please run...and hope you are the nominee..at least in that case President Obama will not have to campaign and can focus on his job and still beat the crap out of you...

November 17, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  6. robin

Boy aint we in trouble

November 17, 2010 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  7. Michael in Houston

Hey drama Queen....your little game here is a bore. We ALL know your entire program is about getting in front of cameras and running for office is just as good for that as a reality show or saying really crass and stupid stuff. So quit your pathetic little game and just announce it so we can all get on with it.
    You really are consumed and captivated by your own reflection.
    We know you exactly who you are and what your all about. You are the worst of what America has to offer. An overated sloppy hick.

November 17, 2010 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  8. Just Go AWAY

WHAT!. Since there might be a chance of life on Mars, maybe she and Todd should pack up the sleigh and move the family and their "Trusted" group of people with them and RULE MARS, they would be in good company. It is futile to resit. ALIEN NATION 2012. don't wait go now. BTW I like Bistol i just feel sorry for her. Her eyes are saying "help me"

November 17, 2010 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  9. Joe

Of course she's "thinking" about it. She's thinking about how keeping that notion alive helps her sell TV shows, books, speech appearances, homemade Christmas decorations, and anything else this money grubbing family can pawn off for a dollar. The Palins weren't rich when she was governor of Alaska, but they sure have cashed in since. No way she'll run. It would cut into her income WAY too much. As P.T. Barnum said (and Sarah Palin is proving), nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.

November 17, 2010 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  10. wwf

Hope she does. Won't make it to the general election, but will really rip apart the GOP. It will be fun to watch. For you Palin backers, one question. Why would you want somone to run the country who could not even finish out her term of running a state? Maybe she got bored.

November 17, 2010 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  11. Matt

This country won't last 3 months when she is in charge..... and that's being generous.

November 17, 2010 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  12. steven maul

Dose she have a clue she didn't win when she ran as vp what make her think she will win this time?

November 17, 2010 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  13. NVa Native

Gingerich, Gingery, Palin, Jindal, Chuck-abee, Tancredo, Max-Headroom, – same old right wing bag-o-nuts with the same crazy policies/fears all trying to be the most childish.

November 17, 2010 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  14. stufit

Once again thank you CNN for providing a platform for all of the drug addled liberals to vent. Your continual postings of even the most inane Palin stories, provide a much needed outlet for their antifeminst, racist, loopy statements and probably save a lot of physical violence that they would otherwise inflict on people and animals. They are very frustrated and the drugs agitate them even more. Thanks, CNN for your valuable service.

November 17, 2010 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  15. Dakota

Let me be the first to say, "What a shocker."

November 17, 2010 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  16. Jaywing

Oh, pleaase, run Sarah, run. The country needs the laughs, and with your complete absence of intelligence, honesty and thoughtfulness, you'll provide fodder every moment for comedians everywhere. Hey, I might even give it a shot. "So, did you hear the one about Sarah Palin walking into a bar, and saying, 'Ouch, that hurt." See, Sarah, because you're such a clown, it just ain't that hard.

November 17, 2010 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  17. Trevor

Dear CNN,

We all know how you "prime" and "frame" some sort of story, futhermore, you're ability to "spin" a certain topic can also make one puke in the mouth.

Why do you keep giving Sarah Palin this news coverage????

Are you not aware that in order to lead a country, you actually need to know what you're doing???

Keep running America into the ground by giving the uneducated national news coverage. This won't hurt America at all.

November 17, 2010 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  18. Terry

Well gee now there's a real shocker for ya. How better to keep the pot stirred up and the money coming in than to keep fanning the flames?

November 17, 2010 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  19. Jason

Yeah... in this case, they DO know more than you and others like you. Even Fox News knows better, they just choose not to report it. But by all means, capture the Republican nomination for president. You have our blessing. Dead serious. Do it.

November 17, 2010 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  20. Cat

Thinking??? Come on you moron, you never had a worth while thought in your life. You are to stupid to think and way way to stupid to be anything but the village idiot. What a joke!!! You make me sick

November 17, 2010 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  21. Mike Sedgwick

Isn't that, like, an oxymoron?

November 17, 2010 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  22. Robert

My dog would make a better President.

November 17, 2010 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  23. fayse1

Sarah Palin never stopped campaining since 2008 the only change is that now she is campaiging for President.
    My daily prayer is, that she never get anywhere near the White House. No matter how much CNN tries to push her on us, the majority of people do not want her to be President. She is under contract with Fox News and she needs to stay there.

November 17, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  24. Really...?

Her "serious consideration" for president in 2012 isn't worth commenting on nor writing about. Shame on you CNN...

November 17, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  25. Dominican mama 4 Obama

The Half-Wit half-termer can add DELUSIONAL to her "record".

November 17, 2010 10:04 am at 10:04 am |