November 17th, 2010

Could Palin beat Obama?

(CNN) - In a yet to be aired interview, Sarah Palin said she believes it would be possible for her to beat President Obama if she ran for President.

During an interview for an upcoming Barbara Walters special, Palin said "I believe so," when Walters asked Palin "If you ran for president, could you beat Barack Obama?"

"I'm looking at the lay of the land now, and ... trying to figure that out, if it's a good thing for the country, for the discourse, for my family, if it's a good thing," Palin said.

Palin appears to be inching the ball ever slightly toward acknowledging she is seriously thinking about running for president next year.

In a lengthy interview for a profile in this weekend's New York Times magazine, the former Alaska governor flatly said she is considering launching a White House bid and is currently in discussions about the possibility with her family and trusted allies.

"I'm engaged in the internal deliberations candidly, and having that discussion with my family, because my family is the most important consideration here," she said in the interview with journalist Robert Draper, now posted on the New York Times Web site.

Palin - who currently operates with only a handful aides, most of whom have little experience running a national campaign – also said she might need to bring more strategists into her fold to help communicate her record.

"'I'd have to bring in more people - more people who are trustworthy. I know that a hurdle I would have to cross, that some other potential candidates wouldn't have to cross right out of the chute, is proving my record," she said. "That's the most frustrating thing for me – the warped and perverted description of my record and what I've accomplished over the last two decades."

But Palin, who famously clashed with some of Sen. John McCain's top aides when she was the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, made clear it won't be easy for political strategists to step foot in Palin's world:

"What Todd and I learned was that the view inside the bus was much better than underneath it, and we knew we got thrown under it by certain aides who weren't principled," she said, adding "the experience taught us, yes, to be on guard and be very discerning about who we can and can't trust in the political arena."

Palin, as has long been the case, also directed fire toward members of the media for distorting her record – a challenge, she said, that must be overcome if she runs for president.

"Other candidates haven't faced these criticisms the way I have," she said. "I'm on television nearly every single day with reporters ... Now granted, that's mainly through my job at Fox News, and I'm very proud to be associated with them, but I'm not avoiding anything or anybody. I'm on Facebook and Twitter. I'm out there. I want to talk about my record, though."

Palin added that she "fears for our democracy" given the state of the news media, saying sarcastically of news organizations: "They're the elite…they know much more than I know and other people like me!"

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. nick

I like to see her run she is beautiful...

November 17, 2010 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  2. Mary Ann

Sarah Palin+ Tea Party = The Dumbing of America

November 17, 2010 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  3. a little sad

Can you imagine this woman as Commander-in-Chief?

Not gonna happen.

November 17, 2010 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  4. Phill

She couldn't even complete a term as the governor of a no-name alaskan town! no way. i'm a 7 year military vet but i'll leave this country if she wins. canada has been lookin good for years now.

November 17, 2010 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  5. T'sah from Virginia

OMG – Bring it ON!!!

Yes, Palin, you have a daughter, Willow, who seems as if she's raising herself with her Facebook privileges and she's allowed to CURSE and use HOMOPHOBIC remarks; another daughter having a child out of wedlock which is PRAISED and OK because she is WHITE; you have a husband who was in an organization who drive was to secede AK from the US; you QUIT being a governor to MAKE MONEY; you already stated that you did not want to be COOPED UP in an office doing politics when you have the outdoors of AK and its freedoms; you are TOOOOOOOOOOO Far Right and your values ARE NOT mainstream American; and lastly, there is NOT enough Botox to go around to make you look young after the Presidency tears your ASH up and make you AGE!!

In essence – DO BRING IT ON!!!

On another note, I don't think Sarah Palin is serious!! I really DON’T. She wants to STAR in her own REALITY SHOW – SARAH GOES TO WASHINGTON! – And she’s not serious at all. I think she's setting the stage for someone else and she will DROP OUT at the last minute – blame it on SOMETHING – and the endorse someone else hoping all of her followers would move with her.

My fellow Americans – let's continue to Move America Forward with our current leader, President Obama and DO NOT take Ms. THANG seriously! She loves the limelight so much; she wants to STAR in her own REALITY SHOW just like Levi, who’s also running for Mayor of AK)!!!

November 17, 2010 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  6. Al-NY,NY

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE run you twit. I pray you get the nomination too because there would be no better sight to see than you quitting 3 weeks before the election because you feel slighted. Even if you didn't quit (using the "media boogey man/gender card/etc) Obama would win in a landslide of epic proportions. Did I say PLEASE run?

November 17, 2010 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  7. Sniffit

"they know much more than I know and other people like me!"

Wow...so she can put down the hyperbole and actually generate a significant understatement.

November 17, 2010 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  8. Claudia, Houston, Tx

If Palin research the background of 11 women presidents around the World she would find she is no match, these women are lawyers, doctors, economist, scientist as well as their husbands, they studied and worked hard for their "record". Palin doesn't understand in politics you're surrounded by people that she and her husband don't match up to and their records are proof. You don't walk into a classroom and say you want to be the teacher when you haven't studied because you're too lazy; she and her husband have that welfare mentality, just give me a handout.

November 17, 2010 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  9. Clwyd

She is a bigger fool and moron than I thought! I wonder if Murkowski will work for her campaign and election after stabbing Murkowski in the back. Even Alaska has repudiated sarah's candidates!

November 17, 2010 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  10. AEJ

CNN, is this news??? It is only a matter of time she will make the announcement. As soon as she sees a potential candidate make his announcement, she will make hers. This is a decision made by her long ago. Her ego is much too big not to run for the POTUS. Since her defeat in 2008 she has been campaigning for this position. And of course she continues to BLAME the media for her lack of intellect and knowledge.
    As the teacher told her in Alaska – she walked out of her job halfway to become a celebrity. Quitter!!!!

November 17, 2010 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  11. Oy Vey Az

Come on Sarah. Make your mark and say "yes" to a run at the white house. It'll be great fun to watch you wiggle like a dejected worm on a hook. But, If you win we'll be more than pleased to move the toilets outside just to make you feel more at home. Please run Sarah dear.

November 17, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  12. Marge

She thinks...oh goodness maybe she does have a bit of brain matter amongst all that straw.

November 17, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  13. Robert

The elite is going to be defeated!

November 17, 2010 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  14. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Jump off the highest peak in Alaska. I'd rather live under Stalin's rule than yours you racist pig.

November 17, 2010 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  15. Russ

I'm sorry, Palin "thinking"? Now there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one!!! hahahahahahaha!!!!!

November 17, 2010 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  16. Darb Pa

Please please please please please please please please please run...

November 17, 2010 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  17. carlos

it is not worth commenting on this article........it is better to ignore the ignorant.....

November 17, 2010 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  18. idesign

CNN and all that worship the game in DC know that Sarah and the strong individuals that support freedom and want to reduce the “game” called government in our lives are a heart beat away from the city gates. She’s taking stronger positions, gaining momentum, and now working with an educated public We need to do this all day long, say what you want and just site annonymous sources…just mock them at their own mockingbird game. I don’t know if Sarah is right for President, but she is right for this country now…the rest will work itself out. She is a catalyst, and she is forcing the universe to respond. Now that’s some serious power.

November 17, 2010 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  19. duke

Yes run P-diddy,
    And expose the american voting system,
    Show the world that in this country,a real american such as yourself can win the presidency WITHOUT a single vote from minorities!
    It will be dancing with the stars(her daughter was/is the worst on the show but she's somehow winning(go figure))
    all over again!
    We in america know the voting system is rigged,but let's, let the world see just how messed up the system is!!
    Palin/beck,2012!!

November 17, 2010 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  20. jerseylou

Yeah Right.....Palin you need to put up or shut the hell up. As a matter of i will donate $100,000 big ones to your campaign on one condition you don't quit . Oh an as a bonus i will throw in a another $100,000 after you lose the Election if you go back to Alaska an never be heard from again ! I will be waiting for a response sweetie .

November 17, 2010 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  21. Limbaugh is a liberal

Oh, please, please make her the GOP nominee in 2012! It will make it that much more of a landslide victory for Obama! Even half of republicans admit she is completely unqualified to be in DC.

November 17, 2010 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  22. Nelson Colorado Springs Co.

See Palin run, run Palin run, run run run. Run newt, run run run. Spot ran too.

November 17, 2010 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  23. Fair is Fair

I like and admire Sarah Palin, but this really presents a problem for the GOP. She has a large following... however, her electabilityto the highest office is, rightfully or wrongly, questionable. She has as much relevant experience as Obama had when he announced – but simply put, she's just not as polished.

November 17, 2010 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  24. Phyllis

Although I have long been a supporter of popular election for the presidency,[i.e. getting rid of the electoral college] the fact that Sarah Palin might run is enough to change my mind. As politically insignificant a program as Dancing With the Stars has shown what a well organized group can accomplish. Bristol Palin is clearly not the most accomplished dancer on the show, yet she survives because of the well orchestrated campaign by the people who support her mother politically.They are flexing their muscle on this show and would most assuredly do the same if Sarah Palin ran for president probably securing her a win.

November 17, 2010 10:18 am at 10:18 am |