November 17th, 2010

Could Palin beat Obama?

(CNN) - In a yet to be aired interview, Sarah Palin said she believes it would be possible for her to beat President Obama if she ran for President.

During an interview for an upcoming Barbara Walters special, Palin said "I believe so," when Walters asked Palin "If you ran for president, could you beat Barack Obama?"

"I'm looking at the lay of the land now, and ... trying to figure that out, if it's a good thing for the country, for the discourse, for my family, if it's a good thing," Palin said.

Palin appears to be inching the ball ever slightly toward acknowledging she is seriously thinking about running for president next year.

In a lengthy interview for a profile in this weekend's New York Times magazine, the former Alaska governor flatly said she is considering launching a White House bid and is currently in discussions about the possibility with her family and trusted allies.

"I'm engaged in the internal deliberations candidly, and having that discussion with my family, because my family is the most important consideration here," she said in the interview with journalist Robert Draper, now posted on the New York Times Web site.

Palin - who currently operates with only a handful aides, most of whom have little experience running a national campaign – also said she might need to bring more strategists into her fold to help communicate her record.

"'I'd have to bring in more people - more people who are trustworthy. I know that a hurdle I would have to cross, that some other potential candidates wouldn't have to cross right out of the chute, is proving my record," she said. "That's the most frustrating thing for me – the warped and perverted description of my record and what I've accomplished over the last two decades."

But Palin, who famously clashed with some of Sen. John McCain's top aides when she was the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, made clear it won't be easy for political strategists to step foot in Palin's world:

"What Todd and I learned was that the view inside the bus was much better than underneath it, and we knew we got thrown under it by certain aides who weren't principled," she said, adding "the experience taught us, yes, to be on guard and be very discerning about who we can and can't trust in the political arena."

Palin, as has long been the case, also directed fire toward members of the media for distorting her record – a challenge, she said, that must be overcome if she runs for president.

"Other candidates haven't faced these criticisms the way I have," she said. "I'm on television nearly every single day with reporters ... Now granted, that's mainly through my job at Fox News, and I'm very proud to be associated with them, but I'm not avoiding anything or anybody. I'm on Facebook and Twitter. I'm out there. I want to talk about my record, though."

Palin added that she "fears for our democracy" given the state of the news media, saying sarcastically of news organizations: "They're the elite…they know much more than I know and other people like me!"

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. cwalk

yes.because the more you talk the more you hate.

November 17, 2010 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  2. guest

I will move to Canada if she gets elected. What an insult to the intelligence of the American people.

November 17, 2010 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  3. golfwidow

Didn't she just say (on her reality show) that Alaska is better than some stuffy old political office? Why would I want to deprive her of that?

November 17, 2010 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  4. Jdizzle McHammerpants

Shoot me now after stabbing pencils in my ears so I don't have to listen to her screech voice. And I'm from Alaska.

November 17, 2010 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  5. jd

Always the victim! ! What has she accomplished over the past two decades? And before all you "mama Grizz" start crying, no, I'm not "afraid" of her. Wake up America!

November 17, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  6. Scott in Atlanta

Initially, I was like..."Bring it on!" We'd love to run against Palin... But after November, it hit me... These idiots might actually vote for her.

November 17, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  7. Nathan

I almost feel bad for republicans.

November 17, 2010 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  8. kds562

I knew she always dreamed of shooting a grizzly from Marine One.

November 17, 2010 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  9. that1guy

PLEASE run....pleasepleasepleaseplease!!!! I can't think of a better way to keep the Republicans at bay until at least 2016...

November 17, 2010 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  10. tony

"Seriously thinking" sounds like a drastic new direction for the ex-governor.

November 17, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  11. Arsio

If Sarah Palin becomes the next president than our elections are rigged, just like Bush.

November 17, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  12. BJ

Yet you are on Fox....

November 17, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  13. tracey

that's it folks. time to go home. armageddon is coming if this woman makes it as POTUS.

November 17, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  14. JWN in SC

Prez Sarah....................in her dreams.................in our nightmares!

November 17, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  15. lagtat

The dumbing down of America is in full effect when someone like this ignorant douche can even remotely be in a position to run for President.

November 17, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  16. DC2003

She wants to talk about her record??
    Would that be her quiting her duly elected position to pursue a career as a TV personality?
    And to say "I'm on television nearly every single day with reporters ... Now granted, that's mainly through my job at Fox News" ... wow that answers itself. She's not being interviewed about policy or plans ... she's just a commentator.
    A TV personality ... isn't that what she went to multiple colleges to pursue?
    A career in journalism ... the media!!

Go ahead run ... guarantee a win for Obama!!

November 17, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  17. Four and The Door

I hope things work out so that she does run in 2012. Yes, there are other great Republican candidates out there...Mitt Romney of course being another person I hope will run. But Sarah Palin has such a firm command of a clear set of values and is showing by her huge base of support that she can be such a capable leader, it would be great to see the things she could make happen in such a directionless Federal government as we have now. It would be good to see leadership based primarily on what is good for America as a nation and the American people rather than the self serving interest of the politicians and their partisan objectives.

November 17, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  18. Bob

This is the equivalent to the Dems putting Pelosi on the ticket. She is just too polarizing and looked at negatively by too many people. This would ensure Obama getting re-elected.

November 17, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  19. Nick

Ooo please do! Obama doesn't need to waste money on campaigning next year. I'd much rather see him running against someone where he barely has to bother trying to win. This laughing stock will do nicely!

November 17, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  20. Duane Marshall

Wonder if she will last longer then she did as a Gov. Quitting first term, classy

November 17, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  21. Diane

I visit many news sites and Fox is by a large margin the most slanted in a political direction, so far so that it seems more commentary than news. Given their popularity, why does Palin complain? And we should all run screaming in the other direction when politicians use the word "elitist" which is often used against the educated. It's very Maoist, and at the very least bad for the country. But I doubt Sarah has read about Mao.

November 17, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  22. thomas

Palin added that she "fears for our democracy" given the state of the news media ?
    Dancing with the stars , Call of the Wild Alaskan half term governor gone rouge !
    Chill baby Chill !

November 17, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  23. EffortPA

How can she possibly claim that she is not hiding from questions when she is only on Fox, Twitter, and Facebook. On Fox, she gets the questions in advance, and Twitter and Facebook are one-way communications. The reason she avoids questions like a plague is because she is a complete idiot. Here are some of her answers that proves that point:

Q: What magazines and newspapers do you read, specifically?
    A: All of them.
    Q: Which of the founding fathers is your favorite?
    A: All of them.
    Q: Which economist has the best advice to fix the economy?
    All of them?
    Q: Can you name a Supreme Court decision?
    A: Roe v. Wade
    Q: What about another?
    A: You betcha, Roe v. Wade

I cannot blame her for not wanting to answer any questions, I wouldn't either if I had given those answers. Is she going to follow Angle's example and refuse to answer any questions until after she is elected? Is she going to continue hiding under Fox, twitter, and Facebook?

November 17, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  24. curtther

She will get votes but she will exposed as the conniving elites she really is. watch and see.

November 17, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  25. producer

miss sarah does not speak that way. she would never say "I am thinking of . . ." – she would say "i'm thinkin' of runnin' . . ."

November 17, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |