November 17th, 2010

Could Palin beat Obama?

(CNN) - In a yet to be aired interview, Sarah Palin said she believes it would be possible for her to beat President Obama if she ran for President.

During an interview for an upcoming Barbara Walters special, Palin said "I believe so," when Walters asked Palin "If you ran for president, could you beat Barack Obama?"

"I'm looking at the lay of the land now, and ... trying to figure that out, if it's a good thing for the country, for the discourse, for my family, if it's a good thing," Palin said.

Palin appears to be inching the ball ever slightly toward acknowledging she is seriously thinking about running for president next year.

In a lengthy interview for a profile in this weekend's New York Times magazine, the former Alaska governor flatly said she is considering launching a White House bid and is currently in discussions about the possibility with her family and trusted allies.

"I'm engaged in the internal deliberations candidly, and having that discussion with my family, because my family is the most important consideration here," she said in the interview with journalist Robert Draper, now posted on the New York Times Web site.

Palin - who currently operates with only a handful aides, most of whom have little experience running a national campaign – also said she might need to bring more strategists into her fold to help communicate her record.

"'I'd have to bring in more people - more people who are trustworthy. I know that a hurdle I would have to cross, that some other potential candidates wouldn't have to cross right out of the chute, is proving my record," she said. "That's the most frustrating thing for me – the warped and perverted description of my record and what I've accomplished over the last two decades."

But Palin, who famously clashed with some of Sen. John McCain's top aides when she was the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, made clear it won't be easy for political strategists to step foot in Palin's world:

"What Todd and I learned was that the view inside the bus was much better than underneath it, and we knew we got thrown under it by certain aides who weren't principled," she said, adding "the experience taught us, yes, to be on guard and be very discerning about who we can and can't trust in the political arena."

Palin, as has long been the case, also directed fire toward members of the media for distorting her record – a challenge, she said, that must be overcome if she runs for president.

"Other candidates haven't faced these criticisms the way I have," she said. "I'm on television nearly every single day with reporters ... Now granted, that's mainly through my job at Fox News, and I'm very proud to be associated with them, but I'm not avoiding anything or anybody. I'm on Facebook and Twitter. I'm out there. I want to talk about my record, though."

Palin added that she "fears for our democracy" given the state of the news media, saying sarcastically of news organizations: "They're the elite…they know much more than I know and other people like me!"

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. GL

Please let this unedcated Tea Bagger clown run.

November 17, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  2. George B from Ohio

The media is evil and has distored this great American's accomplishments and unprincipled aides threw her under the bus. It's a vast left-wing conspiracy. No one else is under the scrunity she is and she certainly is not seeking attention. Governor Palin is bravely facing all comers via facebook and twitter. YOU GO GIRL! 8-\

November 17, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  3. Angus McDugan

I like Sarah, but I don't like the idea of her being president. She serves as an excellent person that pushes conservative ideas and inspires people to become politically active and vote. But I would be very concerned with her in the WH. BTW, who would be her running mate, Jerry Springer?

November 17, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  4. hatepalin

Palin will have to run as an independant. dems & rep don't want her. She really needs to be a real woman and stay home and take care of her retarded child.

November 17, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  5. Ralph in Orange Park, FL

Quitting as Governor of Alaska halfway through her term might be difficult to spin.

November 17, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  6. coder

Palin is the prime example of is wrong with this country as a whole – here we have a greedy self diluted individual in sole pursuit of power, yet she openly admits she doesnt know what she's doing or talking about – She quit her job as an elected official – Nothing she has done has improved her education, ability to lead or ability to server - The only thing she has proven is how easy it is to point at someone else and lay blame - she has zero problem solving ability........

November 17, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  7. Joe Schmoe

No. No no no no no no no. (inhale) No no no no no no no no no no no.

*whew* And I lean Republican.

November 17, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  8. Jeff

A palin bid = Obama's re-election. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

November 17, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  9. DrDel

God help us if the first female president is Sarah Palin. If that doesn't scare you, nothing will.

November 17, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  10. TwM

As a Republican I say NO TO PALIN.. Please we already have a divisive and inexperienced President we don't need two in row. Besides if it gets too tough you might quit on us.

November 17, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  11. Jon B

Please run for President! PLEASE!

November 17, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  12. GL

Still playing the victum which most Americans will not buy.

November 17, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  13. seriously

I wonder what it would take for her to quit as president?

November 17, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  14. DCCENTRIST

Wow...she is paranoid and terrifying.

November 17, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  15. duke

My shoes know more than you SP(the man).
    My shoes know that it take my boots to comfortably get through snow/slush
    My shoes also know that it will take my sneakers to really bust your azz in a ball game,
    That's more than I can say for SP(the man)
    She don't get that in the world of politics she's a outdoor hiking boot trying to fit in a minolo box!!
    She don't understand that reality TV is not real life!

November 17, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  16. Anonymous

What...a...joke.

November 17, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  17. Herb Walker

Distortions of Ms. Palin's record? She quit her elected position as governor a little more than half way through her term.
    I saw the her announcement. Her resignation wasn't due to her family, and it wasn't due to illness.

What else do you need to know?

November 17, 2010 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  18. run sarah run

I hope she runs too. The greatest gift she could give to non crazy people weverywhere. PS Sarah, you best learn to raise your children properly if you;re going to play this momma grizzly BS – You let your kids use the word F*ggot on facebook. You encourage your children to bully gays? Jesus would not be pleased!

November 17, 2010 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  19. Clark Wilhelm Griswald

CNN – The "All Palin All The Time" channel, playing pimp to America's biggest media whore. Is she a majority shareholder or something?

What is Sarah twittering now? Get it out there, CNN! Did Sarah share some more tanglebrain fluffle somewhere? Get it out there, CNN! Embrace your yellow journalism accomplishments, CNN! News is about sensationalism and advertising sales, not enlightening the public on important issues . . . well, that's the way it is in the world of journalism now.

It's not like there is any real news anywhere in the world that might demand more attention than the Sarah Palin carnival freak show.

November 17, 2010 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  20. Bill

Yes, the Liberal Elite Media DO INDEED KNOW MORE THAN YOU AND ANYONE LIKE YOU. Thank you for coming to grips with it. Now we can focus on Sister Sarahs rehab from her camera-addiction.

November 17, 2010 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  21. OhNOES

If you think things are real bad now, just imagine if Palin somehow won. We would be done for.

November 17, 2010 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  22. laurie

When Palin does something "entertaining" she's criticizrd. When Obama does it, he's idolized. Tired of the reverse prejudice in our country. Being anti abortion and anti homosexuality doesn't mean you're prejudice. It means we answer to a higher authority.

November 17, 2010 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  23. zip

Push up bras, short skirts and stilletto heels. Bring it! Finally a candidate I can get behind. Again and again!

November 17, 2010 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  24. Rick McDaniel

Not the right time for Palin, either.

November 17, 2010 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  25. Billy

Definitely, run Sarah run! If you bring Christine O'Donnell as VP that'd be great! The 2 of you would ensure President Obama's re-election and probably a Democratic president for the next 2 or 3 terms!

November 17, 2010 10:31 am at 10:31 am |