November 17th, 2010

Could Palin beat Obama?

(CNN) - In a yet to be aired interview, Sarah Palin said she believes it would be possible for her to beat President Obama if she ran for President.

During an interview for an upcoming Barbara Walters special, Palin said "I believe so," when Walters asked Palin "If you ran for president, could you beat Barack Obama?"

"I'm looking at the lay of the land now, and ... trying to figure that out, if it's a good thing for the country, for the discourse, for my family, if it's a good thing," Palin said.

Palin appears to be inching the ball ever slightly toward acknowledging she is seriously thinking about running for president next year.

In a lengthy interview for a profile in this weekend's New York Times magazine, the former Alaska governor flatly said she is considering launching a White House bid and is currently in discussions about the possibility with her family and trusted allies.

"I'm engaged in the internal deliberations candidly, and having that discussion with my family, because my family is the most important consideration here," she said in the interview with journalist Robert Draper, now posted on the New York Times Web site.

Palin - who currently operates with only a handful aides, most of whom have little experience running a national campaign – also said she might need to bring more strategists into her fold to help communicate her record.

"'I'd have to bring in more people - more people who are trustworthy. I know that a hurdle I would have to cross, that some other potential candidates wouldn't have to cross right out of the chute, is proving my record," she said. "That's the most frustrating thing for me – the warped and perverted description of my record and what I've accomplished over the last two decades."

But Palin, who famously clashed with some of Sen. John McCain's top aides when she was the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, made clear it won't be easy for political strategists to step foot in Palin's world:

"What Todd and I learned was that the view inside the bus was much better than underneath it, and we knew we got thrown under it by certain aides who weren't principled," she said, adding "the experience taught us, yes, to be on guard and be very discerning about who we can and can't trust in the political arena."

Palin, as has long been the case, also directed fire toward members of the media for distorting her record – a challenge, she said, that must be overcome if she runs for president.

"Other candidates haven't faced these criticisms the way I have," she said. "I'm on television nearly every single day with reporters ... Now granted, that's mainly through my job at Fox News, and I'm very proud to be associated with them, but I'm not avoiding anything or anybody. I'm on Facebook and Twitter. I'm out there. I want to talk about my record, though."

Palin added that she "fears for our democracy" given the state of the news media, saying sarcastically of news organizations: "They're the elite…they know much more than I know and other people like me!"

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. yuri

Sara Palin should be in Playboy

November 17, 2010 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  2. Fredrick Steinberg

President Sarah Palin would be the greatest gift to Al-Qaida and the terrorists. God Help America!!

November 17, 2010 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  3. Peace

"Other candidates haven't faced these criticisms the way I have," she said.
    It is because Sarah, you exposed yourself and your family too much unlike other candidates. People do not act without thinking first what might follow next. For your information once you enter the battle, criticisms will drop like a heavy rain. Presidential job is not an easy task that people will grant to you, without certifying your competence. Thats why you failed in 2008.

November 17, 2010 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  4. Tony FL

Don't forget the clown shoes.

November 17, 2010 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  5. Angelae Malone

What a (Big Joke)!!!! I hope this Country open their eyes !!! Sarah Palin is not qualify to lead this Country!!!!Yeah the tea party will play out sooner then you think!!!!!!

November 17, 2010 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  6. JoBleaux

Yes! Please run. Then it will be a landslide victory for the Democrat! Please! Please! RUN!

November 17, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  7. Helen Templeton

Palin for President, you have got to be kidding. She may be a motivator but no knowledge of politics whatsoever. What is she thinking; hasn't she been embarrassed enough through the media.

November 17, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  8. ladykaka

Please..please...please...run for office. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to watch you crash and burn so badly.
    Please Mama Grizzly. Your W with a uterus. It will be so much fun!

November 17, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  9. Jilli

What an idiot.

In line with the republicans lack of seriousness at governance and the office of the president, why don't they just nominate a candidate via a reality tv show? They'd no doubt end up with a better quality candidate than the same old also-rans they keep propping up election after election.

I find it hard to believe that their cynicism runs as deep as nominating someone like Palin to run this nation – but then again, why should I be surprised, the republicans have done everything in their power to halt economic recovery to win elections, so this bit of cynicsm – and absolute lack of seriousness should be no surprise.

November 17, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  10. NeverneverNever

If this woman becomes president of the United States...mark my words...I will leave this country before she is sworn in.

November 17, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  11. bobert

What record? I don't think a reality TV show counts !

November 17, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  12. V

I fear for our democracy if this person ever gets in to public office again, of any kind! She is delusional if she thniks she has any chance of winning. We are amused at the stupidity of her and we read about her because we are waiting to hear the latest dumb thing she says, but I don't know any one who actually takes her seriously as a candidate at this point. Even the Republicans have steered clear of this train wreck. Us Liberals, we just sit back and laugh!!

November 17, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  13. Bassman

All four 08 candidates made gaffes on the campaign trail. Only Gov. Palin's were held to a double-standard. She had given plenty of interviews to local Alaskan press before McCain picked her. If our media had wanted to paint a fair picture of her all they had to do was show us those interviews.

November 17, 2010 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  14. Robin Bray

Thinking. That's a hoot. Thinking.

November 17, 2010 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  15. bailoutsos

Sure hope so. America needs a few laughs.

November 17, 2010 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  16. ICanThink

Seriously? Why don't we just bend over politically and economically for the rest of the world right now and avoid the slow degradation of our nation...

November 17, 2010 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  17. mark

A legend in her own mind

November 17, 2010 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  18. Dan

This woman cannot run for presidency. She is a complete idiot. If she did win, wouldn't she just quit in the middle of it and go start another reality program? Palins are bad for this country!!

November 17, 2010 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  19. charlie

A bid? I hope she is referring to something on ebay.

November 17, 2010 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  20. Alvin

She does know she can't quit half-way through as President right?

November 17, 2010 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  21. bailoutsos

"I am not a witch. I am you."

November 17, 2010 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  22. fideauxdon

Palin and "Think" is an oxymoron.

November 17, 2010 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  23. nygirl

Ha! Can this please, please happen? SNL would be awesome, and the non-crazy people could breathe a lot easier.

November 17, 2010 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  24. Bill

Yes.. you has my vote.. time for real america, Paline 2012!!

November 17, 2010 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  25. Sean in AK

Let me get this straight. Sarah Palin is thinking?

November 17, 2010 10:36 am at 10:36 am |