November 17th, 2010

Could Palin beat Obama?

(CNN) - In a yet to be aired interview, Sarah Palin said she believes it would be possible for her to beat President Obama if she ran for President.

During an interview for an upcoming Barbara Walters special, Palin said "I believe so," when Walters asked Palin "If you ran for president, could you beat Barack Obama?"

"I'm looking at the lay of the land now, and ... trying to figure that out, if it's a good thing for the country, for the discourse, for my family, if it's a good thing," Palin said.

Palin appears to be inching the ball ever slightly toward acknowledging she is seriously thinking about running for president next year.

In a lengthy interview for a profile in this weekend's New York Times magazine, the former Alaska governor flatly said she is considering launching a White House bid and is currently in discussions about the possibility with her family and trusted allies.

"I'm engaged in the internal deliberations candidly, and having that discussion with my family, because my family is the most important consideration here," she said in the interview with journalist Robert Draper, now posted on the New York Times Web site.

Palin - who currently operates with only a handful aides, most of whom have little experience running a national campaign – also said she might need to bring more strategists into her fold to help communicate her record.

"'I'd have to bring in more people - more people who are trustworthy. I know that a hurdle I would have to cross, that some other potential candidates wouldn't have to cross right out of the chute, is proving my record," she said. "That's the most frustrating thing for me – the warped and perverted description of my record and what I've accomplished over the last two decades."

But Palin, who famously clashed with some of Sen. John McCain's top aides when she was the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, made clear it won't be easy for political strategists to step foot in Palin's world:

"What Todd and I learned was that the view inside the bus was much better than underneath it, and we knew we got thrown under it by certain aides who weren't principled," she said, adding "the experience taught us, yes, to be on guard and be very discerning about who we can and can't trust in the political arena."

Palin, as has long been the case, also directed fire toward members of the media for distorting her record – a challenge, she said, that must be overcome if she runs for president.

"Other candidates haven't faced these criticisms the way I have," she said. "I'm on television nearly every single day with reporters ... Now granted, that's mainly through my job at Fox News, and I'm very proud to be associated with them, but I'm not avoiding anything or anybody. I'm on Facebook and Twitter. I'm out there. I want to talk about my record, though."

Palin added that she "fears for our democracy" given the state of the news media, saying sarcastically of news organizations: "They're the elite…they know much more than I know and other people like me!"

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Goog49

Remember Fred Thompson who quit the Senate to be on Law and Order? Remember Sarah Palin who quit the Governorship of Alaska to be a media star? How much does the President make? Any chance Sarah could quit being President for a reality TV gig? How about commentator on Fox? What's the balance sheet?

November 17, 2010 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  2. Wray

More hot air hubris from the "grizzly momma." This woman was an epic failure as Mayor and Governor (Alaskan oil pipeline and bridge to knowwhere QED) and an unmitigated opportunist–quitting her job in civil service and cashing in with an 8-digit salary at Fox News which she is also using as a pulpit for her political aspiriations. Her only skill is offering polemics to her opponents and veiling them under a guise of populism to rile up her base. She's a quitter and we can't have a president who's a quitter. If she wins, she may just prove the Mayan 2012 doomsday calendar true.

November 17, 2010 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  3. betty

Let her run....Obama will just have to sit back and do absolutley nothing this guarnatees the Dems another 4 years...let her...let her run. She's a douchebag that's as dumb as my cousin who's a crackhead, and equally as douchey...she actually likes her. Moron.

November 17, 2010 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  4. nagrad

Boy, I hope for Dems sake that Sarah Failin does run.

November 17, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  5. Mr. BumperSticker

Sarah: GOD & the Citizens Already Said NO.

This is the person who said, in 2008, that it was GOD`s WILL that she be VP but that, if by chance she lost, then GOD must not want her to be in government.

How convenient is this latest selfish foray then. She can`t win but by faking out her celebrity fan base, she can extract some more money from them through books, speaking fees, and reality TV shows.

This witch is SO TRANSPARENT. I`m amazed that those republicans that hang on her every twit are so GULLABLE.

November 17, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  6. RICKFROMPA

Go for it Sarah! This could be the best thing that has happened to the Democrats in the past two years. I see a landslide coming! What she obviously does not understand is that it takes a "brain" to run this country.

November 17, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  7. SunRa

Think, think, think.

November 17, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  8. todd

I'm not surprised that she is thinking of a 2012 bid. I am surprised that she is thinking. I think that is so cute of her.

November 17, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  9. Realistic

Oh Geez, really? why won't this idiot just go away and keep an eye on Russia for all of us. Well President Obama will have a second term if this idiot gets the republican nod. She can't write everything on her hand during a debate and remember she couldn't even remember the talking point of conservatives. Hey Palin, its: Lower tax, a strong military and invading other countries...

November 17, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  10. Kexie

What would they call the reality show, Sarah does the oval office! She better keep to her current stick, duping people out their money come hear "ya betcha" corny speechs! Leave running for prez to people that know what they are doing!!!

November 17, 2010 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  11. XWngLady

Okay. So she knows that she won't win, but she's going to run for President anyway. Why? Simple. Fame and Money...the more her face is on the scene, the more books she can sell, the more outrageous speaking fees she can charge...and guess what? Gullible Americans will empty out their wallets all the while enriching and wasting their money on a no-way-in -heck-she's-gonna-win Presidential bid.

November 17, 2010 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  12. Will

"Palin added that she 'fears for our democracy' given the state of the news media, saying sarcastically of news organizations: 'They're the elite…they know much more than I know and other people like me!'"

Sarah, no offense, but I think a lot of people know more than you. I don't say that as a "yankee elitist", but as someone who graduated high school and doesn't believe the world is 6000 years old.

November 17, 2010 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  13. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Wow, she's thinking?! That is a huge surprise to me. I thought that she was an unthinking ideogogue. If she did decide to run for president, she would be so toast.

November 17, 2010 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  14. Mike S.

I guess if there are enough dumb voters to put her klutzy daughter in the finals of Dancing With The Starts, there are probably enough idiots to put this paranoid Charlatan into the White House. God help us all.

November 17, 2010 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  15. Sean

Please try to restrain yourself Mrs. Palin. With all do respect, having you in the White House would be the worst decision the American public could ever make.

November 17, 2010 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  16. Carramea

Oh my what a surprise this narcissist has always been planning to run for president in 2012. I love how she considers any one with a college education an elitist. Hey Sarah now that you are a multi millionaire Guess what you hypocrite YOU are an elitist

November 17, 2010 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  17. Mike S.

P.S. What record? She quit after two years. Enough said.

November 17, 2010 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  18. wilson

Of course she is going to run. However, Pee Wee Herman would stand a better chance of getting elected.

November 17, 2010 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  19. Rob

Please run. Please make it easy for Obama to win a 2nd term.

November 17, 2010 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  20. Chris Whitmore

Thank you, Lord! An entertaining campaign, more Tina Fey, and Obama wins in a landslide.

November 17, 2010 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  21. Carlos Hernandez

As a republican, I would have a hard time taking her serious for a job of such prestige.

November 17, 2010 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  22. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

If she made it past the primaries (that's a big if right there), then she would be such an easy target for Obama. She doesn't have the kind of intellect and world understanding to be president. She'd make a good neighbor, but never a president. There are much better people to run.

November 17, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  23. Sara

God, please save us from her.

November 17, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  24. sue

I am "thinking about" moving to Canada!

November 17, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |