November 17th, 2010

Could Palin beat Obama?

(CNN) - In a yet to be aired interview, Sarah Palin said she believes it would be possible for her to beat President Obama if she ran for President.

During an interview for an upcoming Barbara Walters special, Palin said "I believe so," when Walters asked Palin "If you ran for president, could you beat Barack Obama?"

"I'm looking at the lay of the land now, and ... trying to figure that out, if it's a good thing for the country, for the discourse, for my family, if it's a good thing," Palin said.

Palin appears to be inching the ball ever slightly toward acknowledging she is seriously thinking about running for president next year.

In a lengthy interview for a profile in this weekend's New York Times magazine, the former Alaska governor flatly said she is considering launching a White House bid and is currently in discussions about the possibility with her family and trusted allies.

"I'm engaged in the internal deliberations candidly, and having that discussion with my family, because my family is the most important consideration here," she said in the interview with journalist Robert Draper, now posted on the New York Times Web site.

Palin - who currently operates with only a handful aides, most of whom have little experience running a national campaign – also said she might need to bring more strategists into her fold to help communicate her record.

"'I'd have to bring in more people - more people who are trustworthy. I know that a hurdle I would have to cross, that some other potential candidates wouldn't have to cross right out of the chute, is proving my record," she said. "That's the most frustrating thing for me – the warped and perverted description of my record and what I've accomplished over the last two decades."

But Palin, who famously clashed with some of Sen. John McCain's top aides when she was the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, made clear it won't be easy for political strategists to step foot in Palin's world:

"What Todd and I learned was that the view inside the bus was much better than underneath it, and we knew we got thrown under it by certain aides who weren't principled," she said, adding "the experience taught us, yes, to be on guard and be very discerning about who we can and can't trust in the political arena."

Palin, as has long been the case, also directed fire toward members of the media for distorting her record – a challenge, she said, that must be overcome if she runs for president.

"Other candidates haven't faced these criticisms the way I have," she said. "I'm on television nearly every single day with reporters ... Now granted, that's mainly through my job at Fox News, and I'm very proud to be associated with them, but I'm not avoiding anything or anybody. I'm on Facebook and Twitter. I'm out there. I want to talk about my record, though."

Palin added that she "fears for our democracy" given the state of the news media, saying sarcastically of news organizations: "They're the elite…they know much more than I know and other people like me!"

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Robrob

No, really?

November 17, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  2. proctorbc

Run for the hills!

November 17, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  3. ART

Yes Sarah run ,please run as far away as possible, Alaska just isn't far away enough.Oh and by the way you cannot quit being the President though with your track record anythings possible.

November 17, 2010 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  4. AO

Yes please Sarah run. It would be a dream come true for Obama and any American with an IQ north of 100.

November 17, 2010 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  5. Susan

Ever see the movie Idiocracy? Where the pro-wrestler is president...

Somehow the idea of electing a reality tv star feels like were bring to bear the prophecy of the Idiocratic nation.

November 17, 2010 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  6. Grog in Ohio

"she might need to bring more strategists into her fold to help communicate her record."

She quit with 50% of her term unfulfilled as governor of a sparsely populated state. End of record.

November 17, 2010 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  7. America Shrugged

I'm going to get my 2 yr supply of popcorn ready. This is going to be good.. LOL

November 17, 2010 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  8. Buck Jackson

Noooooooooooo! Please, my fellow Republicans... do NOT put this nut up as the nominee! I want to see a Republican in the White House in 2012. She has ZERO chance of winning.

November 17, 2010 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  9. Nick , California

I will never vote for Palin! She has no record.. only quitting the people who elected her in Alaska!

Ha ha.. already pulling the excuse playbook out! Ha ha.. the "media" is the bad guy.. and she is just "misunderstood".. ha ha..

In all seriousness.. this woman has the power she does because of the media.. so why she is biting the hand that feeds her is just to get people to feel bad for her.. oh no.. the average bachelors degree hockey mom can't keep up with the Harvard graduates..

If she runs for pres the Republicans will eat her up too.. as they will not allow this "CELEBRITY" and "REALITY SHOW STAR" to take power!

November 17, 2010 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  10. Don

Sarah,

For the love of all that is right and good in the world, forget your desire to run for president. You are neither eloquent enough nor intelligent enough to restore the credibility of the United States nor do you have the skills to solve the problems of this country. You are an attractive woman but that's it. I would make a far better contender than yourself yet I have never held a political office. Please, stop with all this nonsense.

November 17, 2010 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  11. md

Dont waste your money sarah that republican money could be spent on a better candidate for president.And quitting as governor of alaska did not look good in my book

November 17, 2010 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  12. Anonymous

What a joke. What record? 1 year as Gov. that she quit does not qualify as a record. If you think America is in bad shape now. Go ahead and elect her in 2012 and you will see bad.

November 17, 2010 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  13. once upon a horse

I guess then God is telling her to run. Same as the Almighty told O'Donnell to run proves to me that God DOES have a sense of humor.

November 17, 2010 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  14. Richard

Whoever is the next President of the USA, that person needs to be the best of the best. Not just anyone can can sit in the chair and do well. Palin is NOT the person for the job. If she does run it will mean that the Dems will be in power again. Palin could not handle the Governor job in Alaska. In the position as President I don't think Sarah Palin would last a week. I shudder to think what would happen to this country if she were in the most powerful set in the world. I have nothing against Palin but when it comes to running this country, you don't want someone in the seat that will make all of the wrong decisions. I just hope people will think and put someone in office who at least has a college degree and a good grade average. Putting a person in power who has a questionable academic past seems to have been the norm with Bush. Lets not make the same mistake again. People have lost sight of what America is, stands for and can do to help the world. Lets not waste that.

November 17, 2010 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  15. Jerry V Clevinger

I feel she would be a good canidate in 2016. But, it would be almost impossible for anyone trying for 2012 to beat President Obama. We are going to see changes for the better in late 2011.

November 17, 2010 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  16. Lisa

Talk about your record. You quit as Governor and tried to make it into "not quitting".

November 17, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  17. Jim Monroe

What makes you think this woman can think? America is at an all time low.

November 17, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  18. Bill

Not again. I hope they have someone a lot better than her running and I hope that person does not add her on as a VP. Hate to have to vote for Obama again, but I will if she is on the ticket. Come on Hucklebee give it another shot, and don't pick her for your VP.

November 17, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  19. lcasey

Please, Please, PLEASE make a run for it Sarah! Then when it's over, you can run back to Alaska and the rock you crawled out from under.

November 17, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  20. nyugirl

I'm a woman and a republican and to this news, I scream out to Sarah Palin ans this news a horrified.....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..............please don't run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't Sarah Palin get it yet? She's a great "rally-er" and encourager and campaigner, but no one wants her in the White House. She will NEVER be elected and will ruin any chance of a Repulican President in ANY year she runs – even Obama will win over her!

November 17, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  21. mine

let me get back to you all on this after I pick myself up from rolling on the floor laughing

November 17, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  22. Jay

NO NO NO. Take a job elsewhere please. There are plenty of better qualified candidates in the GOP that wouldn't hand the election to the dems.

November 17, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  23. Carol

This woman is absolutelly delusional about "what she knows" and what her record is. How can she think that relying on Faceboook and Twitter as being "out there." She still cannot take unrehearsed questions and never has anything to say.
    I would love to know specifically how the media has distorted her record when people in Alaska know it and the American public has witnessed it firsthand! When people see her speak, how can she say that the media is lying??? She consistently denies things she has done and said. She has never graduated beyond the sophomore stage! I hate to tell her that most people know more than she knows, including the media!

November 17, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  24. Dizzy Buzz

Imagine President Palin and the First Dude running the United States hillbilly style. The U.S. will be in a war with anyone, including our own people, who would dare challenge their "pulpit pimp" way of life.

November 17, 2010 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  25. okey

yes she is popular to her base ,but she is a quitter,her records speak for herself,n is going to be let down to republicans.

November 17, 2010 10:45 am at 10:45 am |