November 18th, 2010

Murkowski: I will NOT support Palin

Washington (CNN) - One day after she claimed victory in the nation's last unresolved Senate race, Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska reiterated Thursday that she does not support Sarah Palin as the Republican presidential nominee in 2012.

Murkowski was defeated in this year's primary by fellow Republican Joe Miller but apparently won a long shot write-in bid for the Senate seat she currently holds, finally claiming victory more than two weeks after the Nov. 2 elections. Palin, a former Alaska governor and 2008 vice presidential candidate, had backed Miller.

Palin told Barbara Walters on Wednesday she could beat President Barack Obama if she was the GOP nominee in 2012.

"She is clearly setting her sights on that higher office," Murkowski said on CNN's "American Morning" program.

"I have in the past said that Sarah Palin would not be my candidate," Murkowski added, declining to name anyone she would support.

"I'm still looking to see who will emerge in the Republican field of candidates. And I think that remains to be seen."

Murkowski also reflected on her relationship with the Republican Party, which opposed her candidacy after her defeat in the August primary.

"I was not my party's nominee," she said. "I went outside the box."

But Murkowski made it clear she remains a Republican and will continue to conference with GOP senators.

Still, Murkowski said, she was elected by a coalition of Alaskans, and "it will be all Alaskans that I will be representing."

Murkowski declared victory Wednesday, saying the result of her write-in candidacy was a "miracle."

Filed under: 2010 • Lisa Murkowski • Sarah Palin
  1. Right Leaning Independent

Palin can not win!! The Republican voters need to understand this and be careful who they vote for in the primaries! I hate that several early voting states tend to determine the candidate.. I prefer a same day election throughout the country to determine the parties candidate.. It would be a Dems dream to have Palin running – much like McConnell running....

November 18, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  2. MPeters

Congrats to Senator Murkowski in her historic write-in victory. I hope that she stays an Independent, since that is what she was elected as–even if she caususes as a Republican.

As for her stating that she wouldn't back Palin, I think that was pretty much a given after the 2010 primary and general election in Alaska this year, where Palin pretty much trashed her in what–in my opinion–appeared to be a petty and vindictive way. It's not exactly news that Palin and the Murkowski Family have a long, feuding history in Alaska, and this election cycle was just an extension of that ongoing feud. I will say this however: Palin seems to hold grudges and she seems to attempt to seek revenge for those grudges whenever possible. Someone with that type of attitude, character and judgment, especially, should be throughly looked at and vetted while running for the President of the United States; unfortunately for Palin, that means having to actually talk to some someone outside of her insulated bubble of protected media sources, and Facebook and Twitter. Oh, and maybe coming up with a set of cogent policy initiatives that are more substantive than a rhetorical talking-point (i.e., Drill baby Drill IS NOT a Cogent Policy Initiative; its a Bumper Sticker Slogan) would be nice too.

November 18, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  3. Get A Grip

Who cares that Murkowski won't support Palin's presidental bid. Murkowski just needs to move on over to the left where she'll fit right in.

November 18, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  4. Honestuck

I think Lisa is just jealous of all the attention Sarah is getting. It is time for the Republican party to unite under a capable leader like Sarah Palin. She has the charisma and the common touch to win a national election. I think a Palin-Huckabee ticket is unbeatable in 2012. Go Sarah.

November 18, 2010 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  5. Millie Bea

really smart, REAL Republicans, will stay as far away from Sarah Palin as is possible. Women, be particularly careful here- the first woman President is going to have to be a real success in order for others to follow. Think about that.

November 18, 2010 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  6. AC

Palin think twice about embrassing yourself and your family if you decide to run. You will only harm your family, you will embrass them, you are not articulate. On 2nd thought, go ahead and run, embrass your family, the Rep's, and the US. When your interviewed by LeMonde or other European newspapers you will become the laughing stock of Decade! There's no 2nd chance, as we say in my buisness 'Its a big boys game'!

November 18, 2010 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  7. Jaywing

Smart lady. Anyone who supports Palin for any elected office hasn't been paying attention. Palin lies (death panels), is myopically narrow-minded, jingoistic, consitiutionally inept, and a quiter She has gone from being simply annoying to the poster child for everything that's wrong with this country, including bigotry, hatred and a blind unwillingness to compromise with those who see things differently. Not everyone thinks like you do, Sister Sarah, and we are still patriots.

November 18, 2010 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  8. u2canfail

Murkowski, anyone who can spell that on a ballot beats, Palin.

November 18, 2010 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  9. Kari

I should care what Murkowski thinks because ..........?

November 18, 2010 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  10. Robert in Texas

Murkowski's election is a slap in the face to Palin by the Alaskan people who know her.
    Palin's support of all of these crackpot tea-baggers senate candidates is what kept the Republicans from gaining a majority in the Senate.... thank god!

November 18, 2010 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  11. Bob in PA

And we care about Ms. Murkowski's position why ??
    Oh, thats right she's another Sarah hater, I forgot "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

November 18, 2010 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  12. Fed Up

Who cares whether Murkowski will support Palin or not? This is a case of sour grapes. Palin's candidate won the primary. Only daddy's name kept her in office. She had to spend more than she thought as a write-in candidate.

November 18, 2010 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  13. Take America Back from the Libs

It seems to me that the Liberal Media is spending far too much time trying to convince folks that Sarah Palin is not the canidate for a run against Obambi in 2012......I am deeply touched by the care and concern the Libs have for all of us in the Conservatie movement.....why w/out them we may make a horrible mistake.....kinda like they did!
    Sarah Palin is polarizing, but so was Ronald Regan......and the same things was said about him! And by-the-way.....why do all the Libs want Romney to run????
    Can Sarah Palin win in 2012......we will see, but for me.....you betcha!

Tell Obambi to keep the Oval office clean and make sure he doesn't throw out any of his boxes just yet, he will need them to box up his things. (However he doesn't spend much time in there anyway what with all the celebrity parties and his and Michell's travels etc)

November 18, 2010 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  14. vic nashville tn

Huge victory 100 000 voters wrote her name Sarah Palin couldn’t stop her victory

Only main stream media like Palin now for their ratings

November 18, 2010 11:32 am at 11:32 am |