November 18th, 2010

Murkowski: I will NOT support Palin

Washington (CNN) - One day after she claimed victory in the nation's last unresolved Senate race, Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska reiterated Thursday that she does not support Sarah Palin as the Republican presidential nominee in 2012.

Murkowski was defeated in this year's primary by fellow Republican Joe Miller but apparently won a long shot write-in bid for the Senate seat she currently holds, finally claiming victory more than two weeks after the Nov. 2 elections. Palin, a former Alaska governor and 2008 vice presidential candidate, had backed Miller.

Palin told Barbara Walters on Wednesday she could beat President Barack Obama if she was the GOP nominee in 2012.

"She is clearly setting her sights on that higher office," Murkowski said on CNN's "American Morning" program.

"I have in the past said that Sarah Palin would not be my candidate," Murkowski added, declining to name anyone she would support.

"I'm still looking to see who will emerge in the Republican field of candidates. And I think that remains to be seen."

Murkowski also reflected on her relationship with the Republican Party, which opposed her candidacy after her defeat in the August primary.

"I was not my party's nominee," she said. "I went outside the box."

But Murkowski made it clear she remains a Republican and will continue to conference with GOP senators.

Still, Murkowski said, she was elected by a coalition of Alaskans, and "it will be all Alaskans that I will be representing."

Murkowski declared victory Wednesday, saying the result of her write-in candidacy was a "miracle."

Filed under: 2010 • Lisa Murkowski • Sarah Palin
  1. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Thank you for standing up to this person and her encouragement of ignorance. While I do not always agree with Senator Murkowski (Hey Joe Miller, even those of us in the lower 48 can spell it) I am please to see someone with the knowledge and experience with the Federal Government will be back representing Alaska in the Senate, instead of someone who cannot figure out how to cheat his way to a C- in ethics without getting caught.

November 18, 2010 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  2. Dean

Murkowski sounds like a Pelosi wannabe.

November 18, 2010 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  3. Dennis

Boy that's a surprise.

November 18, 2010 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  4. KochBrothers

Why support a back stabber? Palin is poison.

November 18, 2010 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  5. once upon a horse

at least ONE GOPer in Congress so far is NOT afraid of the Palin-machine. I think that now though since the mid-terms are over you're going to start seeing more take the same stance.

November 18, 2010 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  6. bailoutsos

Palin will do or say anything to keep her name in the media, just like Ann Coulter.

November 18, 2010 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  7. Former Republican - Now Independent

Declaring that she represents her Alaskan constituents first instead of the Republican Party ... isn't that some sort of conservative sin?

Murkowski better watch out and toe the party line or she won't get GOP support for her re-election bid ... again.

November 18, 2010 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  8. W.G.

Murkowski´s smart to not endorse Palin she represents the people that sent her there not the party .

November 18, 2010 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  9. GDMS.REPUBLICAN

Murkowski is an idiot, so it doesn't even matter.

November 18, 2010 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  10. jules sand-perkins

Sen. Murkowski stated the obvious. Nobody would have expected to invite Sarah Palin to tea.

November 18, 2010 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  11. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

I don't know how to figure Murkowski. I don't blame her for not supporting the woman who tried to cut her political throat.
    AND, I can't blame Murkowski for not wanting to support a self righteous, self promoting ideological nincompoop.

I don't know how long I'd have to live to learn to understand what, besides her rack is attractive to "those people." Not sure I WANT to live that long.

November 18, 2010 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  12. ?

is any other democrat like myself starting to like this Republican from Alaska? I know i am...why can't ALL republicans be like this!

November 18, 2010 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  13. Charlie from the North

And why should she?

November 18, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  14. BD70

No miracle Senator. People know a tea party fanatic when they see one. Joe Miller being Palins choice got you the votes. That and his shady past. Congrats on your win!

November 18, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  15. rob

Normally she would just fade back into her deserved obscurity in the senate but as long as she keeps criticizing Palin and the Tea Party she will be a featured guest on every liberal media outlet like CNN etc.

Move over John McCain Murkowski is the liberals new favorite Republican.

November 18, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  16. Marry

Senator Murkowski is a reasonable person that makes sense and I am happy the people of Alaska voted her back into the Senate. Surely she is just as annoyed as most of us about CNN’s obsession with Ms. Palin. For heaven’s sake, CNN, find some important topics and stop making them up! What you are doing is irresponsible – shoving Palin down our throats every single day and being a platform for her dumb sound bites! You know, for a little while it was almost funny – but now your work is a disgrace!

November 18, 2010 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  17. Four and The Door

Oh No! Sarah Palin will not be pulling in that coveted Murkowsi ( sp?) endorsement! How will she ever get past this?!?!

...end of sarcasm...

As if Sarah ever really cared about any help from Lisa Murkowsi ( sp? ). And yes, Sarah Palin can absolutely beat Obama. Obama is just fortunate his name was not on the mid-term ballot. Well, it wasn't technically anyway.

November 18, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  18. Lucas Breen

Murkowski seems to be the only reasonable Republican out there.... and the Republicans hate her.

November 18, 2010 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  19. Marie MD

A republican woman with cojones who actually has something of importance to say. Are you listening half term? This is how probably most of them feel about you. You are a cancer and Murkowski seems to be somebody with a full working brain who can extricate said cancer. Let me explain the word extricate to you, it's probably over your hea = remove, extract, get out (just like you did in Alaska – you are familiar with those two words).
    Thanks Alaska for seeing through the veneer (and I don't mean the false teeth either) of your ex quitter governor.

November 18, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  20. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Palin can't rebuild her image in Alaska, but she never thought about that when she and her husband quit their jobs. This woman Murkowski is a fighter in the face of all adversity when she could have quit, but she's no Palin.

November 18, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  21. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Murkowski is correct in not supporting Palin for her presumed run for president. She doesn't have the understanding and temperment for being president. She is too much an ideologue. The comics can dust off their Quayle and Bush jokes for her since she doesn't show much in intelligence. I think she shows distain for learning and those that are smart. That would be a huge problem for our country.

November 18, 2010 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  22. Gale

She's just p.o.'d cause Sarah Palin beat her father for govenor.

November 18, 2010 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  23. PaDoc

I can see it in print now: Senator Lisa Murkowski (D) – Alaska.

November 18, 2010 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  24. Laurie

I have nothing but admiration for Lisa Murkowski. I am a Democrat, but I was so hoping that she would win her re election bid. Congratulations to her. I guess Sarah Palin's Alaska didn't really get on her bandwagon on this one. It gives me hope that the voters really see these tea party candidates for what they are. It is also a good sign that they do not follow their ex-governor off a cliff like lemmings. Gives me faith in the political system.

November 18, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  25. Seattle Voter

I'm not surprised. I can't stand Palin.

November 18, 2010 10:57 am at 10:57 am |