November 18th, 2010

Rangel issues apology

Washington (CNN) – New York Rep. Charlie Rangel issued an apology Thursday after the House ethics committee's chief counsel recommended the 20-term Democratic congressman be censured by the House of Representatives for multiple rules violations.

Rangel, who was found guilty of the violations on Tuesday, said in the statement, "To my beloved Colleagues, my constituents and the American people, I am sorry."

Read the full statement after the jump:

STATEMENT

CONGRESSMAN CHARLES RANGEL

RANGEL APOLOGIZES

Today I stood before the Ethics Committee to apologize for the embarrassment I have brought upon this body that I love dearly, and to the Members of Congress, and to my family and constituents.

There has never been any corruption or personal gain in my actions as the Committee's chief counsel noted. Neither has there been any intent on my part to violate the House rules. My actions may have been sloppy, or even stupid, but never corrupt.

There is no excuse for my acts of omission and failures to abide by the rules of Congress. I have made many mistakes that I will forever regret, and I apologize for them.

This has been one of the most difficult days of my life. All of this has been brought upon me as a result of my own actions. In the end, I hope that you would judge me on my entire record as a soldier and a dedicated public servant - not by my mistakes.

To my beloved Colleagues, my constituents and the American people, I am sorry.

– CNN Congressional Correspondent Brianna Keilar contributed to this report

Filed under: Charlie Rangel
  1. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Rangel said he couldn't afford another $1million in attorney fees and walked out. Obviously that meant he wasn't willing to depart with another $1million or more knowing he would get a slap on the hand.

November 18, 2010 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  2. Augsbee

The man has no shame. Figures nothing happens to people like him when they break the law, he must be laughing at our legal system.

November 18, 2010 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  3. Howard

Rangel's apology is worthless. This corrupt crook would say, or do anything to keep his undeserved life of luxury ... even cry crocodile tears !!! Throw the Bum out, and send him to jail !!!

November 18, 2010 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  4. proud mother of soldier

He got caught and slapped on the hands. Not a good example for corruption among our leaders.

November 18, 2010 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  5. Jim

An apology is not enough. As a long time Democrat, he should resign. He has hurt the party, and he has hurt the credibility of all Democrats trying to help fix the problems we have. He needs to go.

November 18, 2010 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  6. T'sah from Virginia

Apology accepted – Let's MOVE ON!!! Don't worry – most Americans suffer from STM and this story will be DEAD by Monday. The WEEKEND Journalist will have a field day on it but not too many pay attention on the weekend!!!

Keep Moving America Forward to the 22nd Century with President Obama!!

November 18, 2010 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  7. the real ib

I'm sure he is sincere. LOL

November 18, 2010 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  8. ED FL

Thanks Charley if you had showed some of this caring and apologies earlier you would not have embarresed yourself and your race. You thought that their is 2 sets of standards and that your service and years could CYA. Now you know how legitimate errors make a difference over in your face arrogance. Have a nice Christmas.

November 18, 2010 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  9. Bill

I'm sure he is truly sorry-that he was caught.

November 18, 2010 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  10. keepstuffingthis

So what does this mean. If I did not pay taxes for that many years, I bet I would be going to jail, not be sent to Nancy Pelosi's office for a scolding.

November 18, 2010 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  11. John G

Apologies are a dime a dozen.

November 18, 2010 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  12. they call me "tater salad"

Good enough for me........NEXT!!!

November 18, 2010 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  13. Jeff Spangler

Censure is far too lenient for acts and omissions which would be treated as crimes for most citizens. He should be expelled by his colleagues because his constitutents are too tolerant of his criminality.

November 18, 2010 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |