November 19th, 2010

Scarborough suspended

(CNN) - MSNBC has suspended anchor Joe Scarborough for two days without pay due to eight contributions he made to political candidates between 2004 and 2008, according to MSNBC president Phil Griffin.

Scarborough made eight contributions of $500 each to local candidates.

"Since he did not seek or receive prior approval for these contributions, Joe understands that I will be suspending him for violating our policy," Griffin said in a statement. "It is critical that we enforce our standards and policies."

Scarborough apologized for the donations and in a statement said they were "nothing more than simple acts of friendship."

"I recognize that I have a responsibility to honor the guidelines and conditions of my employment, and I regret that I failed to do so in this manner," Scarborough said. "I apologize to MSNBC and to anyone who has been negatively affected by my actions."

"This will not happen again," Scarborough said.

Scarborough anchors "Morning Joe" on MSNBC that airs from 6 a.m. ET to 9 a.m. ET. He previously served as a Republican member of Congress from Florida.

This comes weeks after MSNBC suspended anchor Keith Olbermann over contributions he made to political candidates.

–CNN's Kiran Khalid contributed to this report

Filed under: MSNBC
  1. Jackalope

Yeah, so whose campaign did he make contributions to? Inquiring minds want to know.

November 19, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  2. Candice

Say it ain't so Joe!

November 19, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  3. P.D.

LOL! As a woman who watches Countdown, the Rachel Maddow Show and Ed Shultz AND Lawrence O'Donnell, I could really care less if Joe comes back. I stopped watching Joe and School Marm Mika months ago.

November 19, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  4. mk1

I think fox news should be thrown off the air as they contributed 2 million dollars to Republicans during the last campaign, but I am not going to hold my breath. Fox News has no ethics so what do you expect.

November 19, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  5. Paul from Phoenix

Wow, statue of limitations anyone? I have a feeling Olbermann went running and whining "waaa, you suspended me but not him who did it years ago. waaaaa."

November 19, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  6. charles

does anyone really care. i think their viewership about 200 pepole a night? now one watches this show.....

November 19, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  7. geecee

Even though Joe is considered a Conservative, and he is a Republican, I like him and think he is fair and honest and watch him and Mika just about every morning. Glad that MSNBC treats ALL their employees the same way. Wouldn't have been right to just punish Keith Olbermann and no one else who did the same thing. Now if this were Fox, no one would get punished unless they DIDN'T contribute to the Repugnantcants.

November 19, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  8. Concerned4Fla

Any idea who the candidates were?

November 19, 2010 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  9. S. In California

Personally, I can't stand the sight of this man but neither am I a fan of Olbermann anymore either.

I'm sure most of us wish we could violate our contracts with our employers and only get spanked on the hands. Neither one of them will miss a few days pay. Now, on to more important matters.

November 19, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  10. do

Joe should be fired indefinitely!!!!

November 19, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  11. Deborah dee

This is rediculous. Whether it's Joe or Keith or anyone else who works in the media, they are still American citizens who have the right to contribute to whomever they want. MSNBC is my favorite station. Every single day I watch, Willie (when I'm awake), Morning Joe, Ed, Chris, Keith, Rachel and most evenings Lawrence. I obtain the best information and the truth from everyone. To me, if anyone of these individuals contributes to either party, it doesn't affect the news. Thank you. Deborah

November 19, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  12. Chuck

I think it's interesting that corporations can dictate to individuals when it comes to personal decisions. Last I remember; a person was hired to do a job for the organization, which has nothing to do with the individual's personal life. Socially, America is looking more like the Soviet Union.

November 19, 2010 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  13. Laura, Boston

This is redicious!! Joe is fair with both sides of the aisle in his commentating unlike Olbermann who is as bysised as they come...

I understand that if it is in the contract and the party signs off on it that it must be enforced but come on NBC ever hear of the first ammendment...

November 19, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  14. panjamas

Who is Joe Scarborough and what is MSNBC? Is he a doctor at one of the insanisilums?

November 19, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  15. rdepontb

MSNBC, please just suspend Phil Griffin and get him out of our misery. He it taking the tact that got the Democrats into so much trouble--re-arranging the decks on the Titanic instead of striking out for a new keel with a a revamped crew.

November 19, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  16. Me

Does anybody else feel like these networks are taking things a bit too far when it comes to their employees making political donations? I honestly don't care

November 19, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  17. Ron

That'll teach him! (right)

November 19, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  18. ficheye

Why don't these guys read their contract? There's no issue here. I grade school we were all given a test. The first question says 'read everything before doing anything'. The last item says 'Now that you've read everything, check the last box ONLY, then turn in your paper. I am positive that all of these intelligent people were given this test.

November 19, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  19. Jim from Va

This is more of a story about getting attention than doing the right thing.It's a wonder this cable news channel survives based on ratings.It's only watched by a few prgressive/liberals that have nothing better to do than sit around and blame all the world's problems on Bush.

November 19, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  20. T'sah from Virginia

This is truly getting UTTERLY ridiculous!!! What is REALLY ridiculous about it is the fact that FOX NEWS get away with it – Limbaugh spreads HATE and BIGOTRY on his program and get away with it............I don't understand it!!

I watch Morning Joe EVERY morning!!!! Even though a lot of things he states I don't believe in – he is FAIR when there is a need to be FAIR!! I take his personal opinions as just that – his OWNs and he has the right to them!!!

In a sense, I think this is good. As long as NO ONE is losing their jobs over it, I guess it is FAIR and BALANCED!!! What should happen is a PROTEST to all other networks who DO NOT disclose this information to do so!!!

Don't worry Joe – you will be BACK!!!

Let's continue to MOVE AMERICA FORWARD with our current leader, President Barack Obama!!

November 19, 2010 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  21. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I guess MSNBC is trying to look impartial. Fox doesn't care if it looks conservative because it is without question a mouth piece for the GOP.

November 19, 2010 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  22. truth

Joe is one of the dumbest new casters on television. He doesn't compare to the intelligence of someone like Keith or Rachael. Joe just spew stupid opinions. He has no talent or facts to back his claim. The president of MSNBC should remove him from the air permanently. Joe would be better off working for a station (cnn or fox) with new casters that just rant. He would be a better match with dumb Blitzer, Cafferty, Cooper, or some others ignoramous on CNN that has limited education and no facts to back their rhetoric.

November 19, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  23. Pretzel Logic

Curious as to what punishment Fox News President Roger Ailes will receive as a result of his off the wall rant against NPR and Jon Stewart. Probably a new Mercedes (certainly not a domestic auto for sure).

November 19, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  24. DaveVB

Say it aint so Joe......

November 19, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  25. Rick James B----

At least MSNBC is consistent.

November 19, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |