November 19th, 2010

Carville defiant on Obama comment

Washington (CNN) – Democratic strategist James Carville compared President Barack Obama to his Democratic primary rival and current Secretary of State Hillary Clinton Thursday, implying in rather lewd terms that Obama needs to toughen-up.

And he's not sorry for it.

"If Hillary gave up one of her balls and gave it to Obama, he'd have two," Carville said at a "Christian Science Monitor" breakfast discussion.

His comment was a response to whether Obama is taking strong enough stands on taxes and repealing the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" military policy.

Carville made a similar comment to "Newsweek" during the 2008 campaign season when he compared Clinton and Obama's toughness.

"If she gave him one of her cojones, they'd both have two," he said.

He reacted to the comment on CNN's "John King, USA" Thursday.

"If I offended anybody, I am not sorry and I do not apologize," Carville told CNN's Chief National Correspondent John King.

But he also said he intended the comment to be a joke.

"Of all the things people say about the president, I think this is fairly mild," Carville said. "I repeated a joke I made in the campaign."

1. zubalove

Carville would know. He's a nut-bag.

November 19, 2010 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  2. Ade

Carville is a sore loser, a jobber and an idiot that is upset for lack of his access or job to/in the current white house. Pundits, my backside!

November 19, 2010 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  3. Enough is Enough

Obama's not allowed to speak unless the unions, trial lawyers and illegals (undocumented democrates) say its ok. Carville is wrong if Hilary gives him one he is still one short.

November 19, 2010 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  4. John

As a died-in-the-wool Democrat, all I can say is Carville is absolutely correct!

November 19, 2010 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  5. Anonymous

Clinton talks a good game. but dont forget she spear-headed healthcare in a major during her time in the East Wing, and it didnt get passed until Obamas term

November 19, 2010 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  6. Enrique

Well, James Carville. We are about to find out if President Obama does indeed have the cojones to push for the repeal of DADT.

November 19, 2010 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Carville says some fairly outrageous things from time to time. I happen to think he is wrong in this case, but he's entitled to say most things he wants.

November 19, 2010 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  8. sara

Not a necessary comment on his part. I think the media should be above stupid comments like this. The trolls do this on your comment thread.

November 19, 2010 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  9. jpmichigan

The only way the Democrats can win in 2012 if Hillary Clinton ran as President. She has proven to be a force to recon with. Obama was and is a tooken of the Democratic party and does it's bidding.

November 19, 2010 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  10. FM

For the first time ever I do agree with Carville. Mr. President you need to be as hard as a rock or even more. No one marries any one if they are not ready or willing to get married. You have tried your civil side, and it did not work. No one continue with doing what doesn't work for them. Now it is the time to save your presidency and we all Dems are behind you. Forget the opposition side, after all no one gave you a single vote and will never do so!

November 19, 2010 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  11. once upon a horse

I support Obama BUT I agree with the Cajun on this one! He needs to STOP playing nicey-nicey with the REpubs and show some spine. The GOP from day one said they were NOT going to work with this president and so far they have kept their word. Playing nice hasn't risen his poll numbers and no matter what he does the right is going to find something wrong anyway so next two years perhaps it's time for Obama to be the "DOG" he claims the GOP talks about him like.

November 19, 2010 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  12. chef dugan

No he wouldn't, he'd have one.

November 19, 2010 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  13. jamie

Hilarious....love James Carville

November 19, 2010 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  14. PaulC

Obama is timid when he should be tough and Bush was trigger happy when he should have been listening and thinking.
    I think Hillary would make an excellent president, not perfect but excellent.

November 19, 2010 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  15. Big George in Big D

As much as I cannot stand Carville, I take no offense at what he said as it is the truth!!

November 19, 2010 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  16. gt

obama is a squirrel... james is right..

November 19, 2010 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  17. Jack

Carvelle is the prototype Obermann for idiotic non-journalism. Carvelle is a strategist not a new person. Why even bother with his idiotic ravings? Has either individual complained?

November 19, 2010 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  18. Enitan

There is nothing to apologize for, you are absolutely correct James, the President needs to stay above the fray and stand on his principle, don't take no crap from the Republican Party or these looney beans Tea Party.

November 19, 2010 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  19. fideauxdon

As someone who voted for Obama, and still thinks that he can be a successful President, I think that he needs to listen to Carville.

November 19, 2010 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  20. Greg

I don't agree with his politics, but I have loved this guy and his wife since their book, All's Fair: Love, War, & Politics... if these two can make it, there is no reason bi-partisan politics shouldn't work in Congress. Basically, the rumors floating about Hillary are to stave off Sarah Palin... can Sarah Palin win against Obama, maybe with the economy and ObamaCare... could she win against Hillary Clinton? Highly doubtful... unless Palin added Condoleeza RIce to her ticket, but then if America seems hesitant to vote for one woman on the ticket (Ferraro, Dole, Palin), will they vote for two? I don't know how you trump Obama/Clinton... if it had been anyone else but McCain/Palin running against Obama, it might have been a much tighter election. I think Clinton has shown she can be a team player... I don't agree with her politics anymore than I did Ann RIchards in Texas, but you have to admire her. Ultimately you have to ask yourself if the worsening economy is enough to cause the novelty of an Obama presidency to wane the closer to the election and the prospect of Palin running... if so you have to put Hillary on the ticket, but just as John Adams said, it is probably the most thankless position to be in, other than guaranteeing her the top spot on the Dems ticket in 2016. If Obama's numbers continue to decline, top Dems may begin telling The President he doesn't have hair one on his ball if doesn't put Hillary on the ticket! How's that Mr. Carville?

November 19, 2010 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  21. Tim

Again, what has Hillary really done or accomplished? The last time I checked, she faltered big time on health care, and Obama got it passed. And as secretary of state, she's accomplished what with her balls?

November 19, 2010 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  22. Pat

he's right! It's about time we Dems grew some and got things done. The Reps have control of one house of Congress and they act like they own the place. Dems just quiver. I'm tired of it. They have no excuses for what happened the last 2 years. The party of "NO" were able to stop them. They should have gotten more done. Pitiful!!!!

November 19, 2010 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  23. Monster Zero

I love James Carville, I use to think he was the ugliest twitchiest man alive but when I started listening to his spins I quit looking so hard at his exterior and considering what he said and I believe that he is a moderate Democrat. You all remember what a moderate Democrat is, back in time before Pelosi and Reid, before Barry Obama, somewhere right around the end of the Clinton's, there were these things called moderates that still understood the importance to governance and the fundamentals established within the Bill of Rights and the Constitution. You go James, keep being teste...and don't drop the ball...

November 19, 2010 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  24. steve

Why are people, including media types, upset about a joke about the President? Where have they been for the last 16 years? Much worse things were said about Bill Clinton and George W. Bush.

Jon Stewart on the Daily Show showed no respect for the office of the Presidency in his time hosting that show. No one has said anything to him.

November 19, 2010 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  25. Ron

Though I voted for President Obama, I have to agree with Mr. Carville. The same goes for most democratic members of Congress. Instead of hiding in the corner licking their wounds, they need to take a stand and fight for what they believe in. Unfortunately the wimp-a– democrates will let the republicans roll back health care, financial reforms and give the wealtiest Americans a multi-year extension on the Bush tax break. That will be long enough to see another republican in the White House when the tax break will be made permanant.

November 19, 2010 09:40 am at 9:40 am |