Judge orders Gawker to remove Palin book excerpts
November 20th, 2010

Judge orders Gawker to remove Palin book excerpts

(CNN) – A federal judge ordered Gawker on Saturday to take down excerpts the website posted from Sarah Palin's upcoming book until at least November 30.

The post was removed by Saturday evening.

In his two-page decision, U.S. District Judge Thomas Griesa told Gawker to cease "from continuing to distribute, publish or otherwise transmit pages" from Sarah Palin's "America by Heart" until a hearing scheduled for November 30.

Gawker did not immediately respond to e-mail and telephone messages from CNN seeking comment on the case.

Thursday, the online gossip website had shot back via a post that read:

"Did you catch the excerpt we posted yesterday from Sarah Palin's new book? Sarah did. She tweets with rage: 'The publishing world is LEAKING out-of-context excerpts of my book w/out my permission? Isn't that illegal?' [Sarah: If you're reading this -- and if you are, welcome! -- you may want to take a moment to familiarize yourself with the law.]"

"America by Heart" is Palin's second book, following the 2009 publication of "Going Rogue." It is due out on Tuesday.

Following the Gawker leak, the former Alaska governor posted on her Facebook page an excerpt from the upcoming book.

"We have to know what makes America exceptional today more than ever because it is under assault today more than ever," she wrote. "This is my America, from my heart, and by my heart. I give it now to my children and grandchildren, and to yours, so they will always know what it was like in America when people were free."

Updated 9:30 p.m.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Brian

How funny the courts move so fast in a case like this but for serious stuff, it takes years.

November 20, 2010 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  2. idesign

Uh Gawker, WHO needs to familiarize themselves with the law?

I heard a "rumor" that Palin was going to carry this over to a copyright infringement case.

There should have not been such bravado, Gawker, you are about to lose everything you have, including the website.

Watch and see. Stupid liberals........LOL

November 20, 2010 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  3. CuadRose

How can the truth of her ignorance, be taken out of context?

November 20, 2010 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  4. HO Hum

Oh, poor little sarah. Ever the victim....
    Grow up and shut up!!

November 20, 2010 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  5. Above the Crowd

Sarah Palin continues to be news because of her blunders. I want to see her run for President so bad! I loved the Saturday Night Live skits.

November 20, 2010 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  6. Surthurfurd

I find it interesting what we consider fair to steal and expose without permission. For example e-mails and the like from people we side with must be protected while e-mails and personal communications by those we do not agree with are fair game.

For example: I wonder how many people accepted the private messages of Palin that were hacked while decrying those of the climate studies scientists being released. I also wonder the opposite. I fear far too many people hold moral ideals only when it suits them.

November 20, 2010 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  7. Emperor Xenu

I wish Sarah Palin would be pulled off of the internet.

November 20, 2010 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  8. SurRy

Only in America can one who has never read a book claim to "write" two of them.

November 20, 2010 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  9. Johan S

In one of the excerpts Palin admits to looking at one of her friends like she was an idiot and then putting on a fake grin. I wonder how often she does that. I used to think only untrustworthy people gave fake grins/smiles, maybe I was wrong?

November 20, 2010 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  10. SurRy

Perhaps she is going to get that Department of Law over there in the White House to look into this – lol.

November 20, 2010 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  11. Firey Buddha

*bleh* where's the trash can? *bleh*

November 20, 2010 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  12. ben

Why is it that virtually all of the photos on the web of this airhead are "glamor" face shots? You have to think she has all of the media – right and left – in her pocket. And books? Hmmmm – do people buy the stuff she could not possibly have written as she jets around sucking up $$$$? If she gets even close to a Republican nomination for 2012 it would really illustrate how truly out of touch a large segment of the population is. Barb Bush had it right – go back to Alaska and stay there Sarah. Make millions with your reality (reality – give us a break) show, don't mess with an already challenging government – we need honest thinkers not empty headed "talking heads" without substance.

November 20, 2010 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  13. Johan S

Well to clarify, she didn't say it was a fake grin but that's how it sounded to me. As in she said she looked at her friend like she was an idiot and grinned while thinking something to herself. Read the excerpt you'll see what I mean

November 20, 2010 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  14. k.beamish jr.

americans havent been free for quite some time.....and its people like palin, bush, and the rest of the republican dictatorship that we are in the fix we are in...... we americans need to ban together and remove each and every politician out there that refuses to listen to the people... even if its one at a time, we should find the right person for the job and vote accordingly......we can make it clear we will be heard and u will listen, it is time for a revolution. if we vote for something u will listen and not come up with some amendment or loop hole to force your will down our throats cuz if u dont we will vote u out.....one people, one vote, one america.......the strong the brave and the free

November 20, 2010 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  15. Anonymous

Wish CNN would do some investigative reporting and find out who her writer is. She has neither the intellect nor English language skills to put a book together, let alone two. Go in any good book store and see thousands of books by authors waiting for a Best Seller, then this bimbo comes along and makes millions on a book she never could have written.

November 20, 2010 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  16. Jeremy

no palin... it's OUR America... Quit being so egotistical you ugly sack of christan crap.

November 20, 2010 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  17. guest

Makes one want to vomit.

November 20, 2010 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  18. juneauskier

I don't know what country you reside in or what your definition of free is, but the country I live in is pretty damn free. Stop you fear mongering Sarah

November 20, 2010 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  19. Robin Bray

Her excerpt makes me want to puke. Such BS.

November 20, 2010 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  20. wch

Gawker's snarky reply: "...you may want to take a moment to familiarize yourself with the law..."

Apparently Gawker needs to 'practice what they preach"?

November 20, 2010 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  21. tony

What you won't find in the book. -- Just the US defense budget 685 Billion, 28% of National 2.4 Trillion.
    Number of US families approx 80 Million out of a population of 308 Million.
    Just defense spending alone per AVERAGE family – CLOSE to $9000 per year.
    . . . .And Sarah wants to cut taxes for the rich . . . . . .

November 20, 2010 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  22. VolsGrouch

Moron. We've been free for a few hundred years. Don't ever communicate with the public again. I still hold hope that people are slightly more intelligent than this person and ignore her idiotic comments.

November 20, 2010 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  23. Deb

What a moron. Sarah you wrote a book so you might as well start to expect people to post excerpts.. funny how rabid this woman gets these days over every little criticism, how in the world does she think she can handle the presidency when she can't even handle someone's opinion about a few lines in her 'latest' book? Thanks Sarah but I'll give my kids my OWN America.. I hope they never have to deal with yours and all it's hypocrisy and backward thinking.

November 20, 2010 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  24. TJeff1776

Sheeesh....I don't know what to make of Sarah Palin. She appears so foreign to the political world. She and Joe Biden have a lot in common. Both mean well, but both are forever ramming both tootsies in their mouths- up to the knees and maybe higher. Methinks she ought to retreat to the Alaska wilderness with a truck full of books and hide out for a few
    years......near the Russian border which she can already see from her living room window.

November 20, 2010 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  25. Alex

"so they will always know what it was like in America when people were free."

So we aren't free anymore, Sarah? That's news to me.

November 20, 2010 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |