Judge orders Gawker to remove Palin book excerpts
November 20th, 2010

Judge orders Gawker to remove Palin book excerpts

(CNN) – A federal judge ordered Gawker on Saturday to take down excerpts the website posted from Sarah Palin's upcoming book until at least November 30.

The post was removed by Saturday evening.

In his two-page decision, U.S. District Judge Thomas Griesa told Gawker to cease "from continuing to distribute, publish or otherwise transmit pages" from Sarah Palin's "America by Heart" until a hearing scheduled for November 30.

Gawker did not immediately respond to e-mail and telephone messages from CNN seeking comment on the case.

Thursday, the online gossip website had shot back via a post that read:

"Did you catch the excerpt we posted yesterday from Sarah Palin's new book? Sarah did. She tweets with rage: 'The publishing world is LEAKING out-of-context excerpts of my book w/out my permission? Isn't that illegal?' [Sarah: If you're reading this -- and if you are, welcome! -- you may want to take a moment to familiarize yourself with the law.]"

"America by Heart" is Palin's second book, following the 2009 publication of "Going Rogue." It is due out on Tuesday.

Following the Gawker leak, the former Alaska governor posted on her Facebook page an excerpt from the upcoming book.

"We have to know what makes America exceptional today more than ever because it is under assault today more than ever," she wrote. "This is my America, from my heart, and by my heart. I give it now to my children and grandchildren, and to yours, so they will always know what it was like in America when people were free."

Updated 9:30 p.m.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. ruru

I am praying for Sarah Palin, for some reason she is thinking she is above the laws of the land and God is speaking through her. God is a God of all. God is love and God hear our prayers and know our needs. I am very confuse with Sarah thinking, Money is good, what goes up must come down. I am prayingthat the American people will not let our country fall for this. I am not a Republican nor Democrat, I love all people. I have respect for Bush, he has enough class to shut his mouth. I am about Love.

November 20, 2010 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  2. A Duh

she has still yet to explain with any sensical reason how or why her freedom is being taken away. If she is free to say such silly things, how is she being muzzled? Why do people even pay attention to this muck?

November 20, 2010 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  3. agathokles

Does anyone know who actually writes Palin's books? And does she read them?

November 20, 2010 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  4. Jake

Won't this woman and her trailer-park-trash family just go away?!?!?!

November 20, 2010 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  5. Jeff

Americans are free now, and Alaskans used that freedom to reject Sarah Palin's Senate candidate from her home state!

November 20, 2010 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  6. what a turd

Palin, I almost forgot you existed, please go back to your cave

November 20, 2010 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  7. Aaron

Too bad the judge didn't ban her stupid book permanently, albeit too late to save any trees.

November 20, 2010 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  8. MikefromWV

That woman is as dumb as a rock! But she does have a heck of a ghostwriter. That excerpt above has way too much of the appearance of intelligence in it to be written by sister Sarah. And Sarah has no idea even of what exceptionalism is, let alone how to use it in a sentence. I "really" doe hope that the GOP runs Sarah for President in 2012. It'll be funny as hades watching her get her backsides kicked.

November 20, 2010 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  9. MikefromWV

Whoops! I misspelled the word "do" in my last comment. My apologies. I wouldn't want it to sound like Sarah wrote it.

November 20, 2010 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  10. johnrj08

American exceptionalism ended when Sarah Palin came on the national stage. It won't be back until she's gone.

November 20, 2010 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  11. Mark C

Leave my children and grandchildren out of it Sarah. The last thing they need is your nutty ideas.

November 20, 2010 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  12. Concerned Citizen

Does her book come with a free box of crayons? Will it be on display in the Revisionist History section Like Bush's?

November 20, 2010 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  13. Joy

Did anyone actually read Palin's book? I can't imagine why anyone would want to. Palin equals BARF.

November 20, 2010 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  14. Margo

Heh! We should all start re-posting all articles regarding this issue, making sure to re- quote all the 'excerpts' in contention.

November 20, 2010 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  15. J.Jaramillo

Thank you Judge Griesa for protecting us,if only for a moment,from Palin's inane or should I say insane babblings.

November 20, 2010 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  16. Concerned

To any educated person this woman is a complete joke and nothing more needs to be said.

To the rest of you please stop being so reckless with things as serious as elected officials. It makes you seem about as inbred as your children must be.

November 20, 2010 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  17. ellie

Can anybody out there make her go away???

November 20, 2010 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  18. Jason

I'm sorry, I have nothing nice to say about this lady. She pulls so much out of context, minces words and warps things to fit her agenda. Good riddance, I say... Good. Riddance.

November 20, 2010 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  19. George of the jungle

and who wrote this book for her? Amazing how many people will pay good money to read her drivile . Mrs Bush had it right. She is so un presidential it amazes me when I read these meat heads say how great she is. Apparently to be a repo you must have an IQ of 80 or less and to be a bagger you need no IQ at all

November 20, 2010 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  20. jdmintexas

I have changed my mind: President Palin is exactly what this country deserves.

November 21, 2010 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  21. Rob

She's a freak ... and I am exercising my Freedom of Speech rights to call her one too. What a DA.

November 21, 2010 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  22. hnic

Holy crap!

Can we please STOP with the Sarah Palin coverage!!!!!!!!!!

November 21, 2010 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  23. Colorodan

When we were free??? What happened did we stop being free and no one told me. Contrary to the fear mongering by Palin and the Tea Partiers and the Demint nut jobs, I pretty much have all the freedoms I had under Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter etc.. The fear crowd needs a new angle. No one is taking anyone's freedoms away. Maybe if you had better policies you wouldn't have to try to scare people.

November 21, 2010 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  24. Scott

Can't wait for the Palin family solo albums!

November 21, 2010 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  25. A female in Wyoming

Doesn't matter much. Palin is a complainer and a liar. Most intelligent people know this and wouldn't be buying this silly book anyway. Palin seems only to suck in the intelligent challenged folk out there. From what I've read, even the people in Alaska don't want her back. Where will she go? Hmmm.......How about Russia?

November 21, 2010 12:22 am at 12:22 am |