TRENDING: Palin won't 'waste time' on Couric
November 22nd, 2010

TRENDING: Palin won't 'waste time' on Couric

(CNN) - If Sarah Palin does run for president next year, at least one high profile journalist will be forbidden access to the former Alaska governor.

Speaking to Fox New's Sean Hannity in an interview to air Monday, Palin said she wants nothing to do with Katie Couric, the CBS Evening News anchor who's line of questioning facilitated one of the most memorable political foibles of the 2008 presidential campaign.

"As for doing an interview, though, with a reporter who already has such a bias against whatever it is that I would come out and say? Why waste my time? No," Palin told Hannity of Couric, according to excerpts obtained by Time's Mark Halperin.

"I want to help clean up the state that is so sorry today of journalism. And I have a communications degree. I studied journalism, who, what, where, when, and why of reporting," Palin continued. "I will speak to reporters who still understand that cornerstone of our democracy, that expectation that the public has for truth to be reported. And then we get to decide our own opinion based on the facts reported to us."

In a series of interviews with Couric authorized by the McCain campaign, Palin stumbled over a number of questions, most memorably when asked, "When it comes to establishing your world view…what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read?"

Palin appeared unable to name a single publication – a performance for which she was much maligned - and later said she found the question insulting, as well as emblematic of a liberal slant in the mainstream media.

"So a journalist, a reporter who is so biased and will, no doubt, spin and gin up whatever it is that I have to say to create controversy, I swear to you, I will not my waste my time with her. Or him," she told Hannity in the interview Monday.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. KeninTexas

I don't particularly care for Sarah Palin, but I have to agree with her about the media being so biased. She and others have gotten a hatchet job on many occasions. The example of the Katy Couric interview is a good example of this kind of bias.
    The news reporters should report the news and get away from all of this slanted reporting that goes on. MSNBC is the absolute worst but Fox, ABC, CBS and NBC proper aren't strangers to slanting a story either. Reuters and AP should also be mentioned. To get a farily decent news story, I've taken to also listen to the BBC. Which is really kind of sad if you think about it.

November 22, 2010 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  2. neal

"I want to help clean up the state that is so sorry today of journalism." – I believe she be talking about the state of Alaska

November 22, 2010 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  3. Aezel

Don't worry Sarah! Any credible journalist you give an interview to will humiliate you due to the fact that they will ask you hard questions, and you won't know the answer to many of them. You certainly don't need Katie to humiliate you, you do it yourself every time you open your mouth.

November 22, 2010 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  4. LouAz

Sharon Angle is the real leader of the ??? Party. Sarah takes orders from Sharon on Press Interviews. So does Newt.
    Is the tail wagging the dog here ?

November 22, 2010 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  5. Harold Punter

OK, so Palin is not going to respond to reporters asking intelligent questions? Since she cannot deliver intelligent answers, I hear the news with great relief. At least we will be spared further embarrassing moments – or do we need them to persuade potential Republican voters? A bit of "Palin-speak" should scare them off......

November 22, 2010 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  6. Rob

This from the person who resigned her job as governor of Alaska because things got too tough? How does she expect that things will be if (Lord forbid) she became President?? No, she's dumb as dirt and all Katie Couric did was pull back the curtain.

November 22, 2010 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  7. what journalism?

omg, I happened to switch by her new tv show, and just had to stare at the train wreck to see what's up. it was about how she wanted to go out and climb just the tiniest bit of Mt. McKinley to say she'd done it. she was a complete chicken when it came to climbing up a patch of several feet that had the slightest bit of difficulty (while roped behind her guide and ahead of Todd). it took her like an hour instead of a few minutes, bitchin' and moanin' the whole time dontcha know... it exposed her for her ball-less true self, some maverick. she can only conquer nature with an assault weapon.

November 22, 2010 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  8. Paul Ernest Show

Sarah Palin is not the kind of person to be in the Whitehouse. She does not have the temperament of a leader. She speaks so much of "Democracy". where you have to endure, negotiate, compromise and team work, while her vindictive, arrogant, combative attitude show signs of a dictatorial girl. Who has she not picked fight with? Now it's Curie, who next week?

November 22, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  9. pockets

It would appear that Americans don't mind having this woman represent them. I suppose they think she is in the same league as John F Kennedy or Abraham Lincoln, or any of the great leaders of the country. Can you imagine her actually speaking with any sense of intelligence regarding world affairs and nuclear proliferation? World budgets and american budgets etc, its beyond me that Americans actually think she understands them, when she can't string two sentences together that make sense.

November 22, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  10. Jon in Rochester NY

Katie Cuoric has been demonized because ""When it comes to establishing your world view…what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read?" is such a "Gotcha" question. The problem is that Palin can't think so she needs to have all of her questions up front so that she can practice her answers or get the answers from someone else so that she can sound intelligent.

November 22, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  11. Joe

Hate. Hate! HATE! HATE!!!!!!! Thank you CNN for letting all us haters voice our opinions today. I can't wait for your fair and balanced Sarah story tomorrow. SPDS lives on!

November 22, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  12. wgf

"I want to help clean up the state that is so sorry today of journalism. And I have a communications degree. "

Sarah Palin, the perpetually vapid teenager. Just imagine what she would be like if she didn't have a "communications degree".

November 22, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. keeth in cali

"What magazines and newspapers do you read on a regular basis?" That's an entirely unfair question to ask someone who wants to be president of the United States. It's a liberal media "gotcha" question, right?

November 22, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  14. thomas

Please inform Mrs Palin that we are not a monarchy built upon the Queen for a day show !

November 22, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  15. Joe in PA

Cash flow Mama bear.

November 22, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  16. leenzy54

I didn't need Katie Couric to tell me how dumb Sarah came off in that interview all you had to do was see it. So she now she wants to pick and choose who interview's her? She is a piece of work. She thinks she can disgard any one or anything that she deems against her or is in her way like her job as Governor of Alaska. If the American people overlook the fact that she QUIT her job as Governor and vote her in as the President I am moving out of this country. You can say that we have it made here and I would be crazy to go but with no job, no home, and no food, I think I should take my chances somewhere else.

November 22, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  17. Twainland

I'd hate Couric too if she made me look like a complete retard in front of the whole country. Can't blame her, right?

November 22, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  18. ThatsHilarious

Such an extreme narcissist has to be careful which mirrors she's reflected in: some might reveal imperfections.

November 22, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  19. kyle

When you are clueless and a republican the only network you can do is Faux news.

November 22, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  20. Lori

She claims to have journalism and communications degrees and yet speaks nonsense: "I want to help clean up the state that is so sorry today of journalism." Huuh?

November 22, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  21. Sandy

You know, the scary thing is that nitwit Gov. Rick Perry (TX) refused to participate in the debates this year, and yet the lemming Republican voters here in TX still re-elected the guy!! This country is in deep trouble when the voters don't demand accountability from the people they vote for. (Sort of like the scanner/pat-down brouhaha going on right now– too many people just accept it all at face value & never ask any questions or demand accountability.) Can we say Germany 1930's & 1940's?? Just continue to be led blindly down the path by some charismatic nutcase & never ask any questions....

November 22, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  22. sammieb51

OMG - what happened to Sarah? Did Todd finally speak and say something she didn't like so she is lashing out at everyone? Is it PMS? What's behind all this ranting today Sarah? This woman just won't shut up today. I wonder if she is planning another "Thanksgiving" moment this year, to be held at her request in front of the contraption beheading the turkeys? Yes, this woman would bring such stature to the office of President! Wow, we would all be missing Bush, Obama, and Clinton under her reign!

November 22, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  23. Dino

Funny how Sarah P. likes to cast stones from her glass igloo. Even Babs (Barbara Bush) said that she should stay up in Alaska.

November 22, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  24. John in VA

This is just so rediculous and is waste of thime to even report on! She had a gotcha moment and of course any resonable person would realize that the Couric and others were trying to trip her up but that question abot books or print media was hardly a question that one should be tripped up on. Regardless, I see the same trend in her that we see in Obama, he criticizes and boycotts Fox News for reporting stories that are unflattering to him but then invites Olbermann and Maddow to the white house for interviews. That's pure hypocrisy.

November 22, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  25. LNT

Will someone tell Sarah Palin that you don't go on national T.V. unprepare to answer questions if you are running for the highest office in the land. The problem is Katie Couric ask question that Sarah had no answer for and Sarah tried to made up some B.S. response and got caught, like always Sarah Palin ended up with your foot in her mouth. Come on Sarah don't hate on the teacher just maybe you can learn something from Ms. Couric and that would be KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT...

November 22, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |