Obama stays on sidelines this time
November 27th, 2010

Obama stays on sidelines this time

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Barack Obama returned to the basketball court Saturday, but this time he stayed on the sidelines.

Obama went to Howard University to watch its men's basketball team, the Bison, play Oregon State University. First lady Michelle Obama, daughters Sasha and Malia, and the president’s mother-in-law, Marian Robinson, accompanied the president.

Obama's brother-in-law, Craig Robinson, is the coach of Oregon State's team, the Beavers.

The first family stayed for nearly the entire game and when they left the Beavers had a double-digit lead, pool reports said.

Oregon State won the game 84 to 74.

On Friday, President Obama received 12 stitches in his lower lip after getting elbowed during a basketball game with friends and relatives.

At the game Saturday, Obama was not wearing a bandage, and his injury was only slightly visible.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Reddick Bowman

I mentioned on Twitter that I hope the foul was called, and he got his foul shots and made em lol :-) hope he's felling better!

November 27, 2010 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  2. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Keep your hands off President Obama, we are watching and we expect security to tighten it up. No excuses.

November 27, 2010 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  3. Tim

What a rube. His lipped swelled up and is now about 1/10 the size of his swollen ego.

November 27, 2010 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  4. sandra

i am so happy our president is doing o.k the obamas are a beautiful family i am so proud of them god bless them. the girls are growing up so pretty they love their dad so do i.

November 27, 2010 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  5. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

It sounds like the physical brusing came sometime after the political one. Though it hurts Mr. President, there is much work to be done. I'd say keep a stiff upper lip, but it is going to hurt. At least you aren't a quiter like Palin would have done at this point.

November 27, 2010 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  6. NameHD 100% ETH

Feeling the injured, pain first-hand?!?

November 27, 2010 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  7. ThinkAgain

Even though I'm a Duck, I'm always happy to see the Beaver basketball team win!

Go Beavs!

November 28, 2010 02:04 am at 2:04 am |
  8. mehirst

Given the state of the economy and international crises in Korea, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq and Haiti, Obama makes certain he gets all the recreational time he can, doesn't he? The next time something urgent comes up at my office, I'm going to tell my boss I am heading out to play basketball. Think it will work?

November 28, 2010 08:40 am at 8:40 am |