Source: Most service members surveyed don't care about DADT repeal
November 30th, 2010
08:19 AM ET
3 years ago

Source: Most service members surveyed don't care about DADT repeal

Washington (CNN) - A majority of U.S. service members surveyed do not care if the law banning openly gay and lesbian troops from serving is repealed, according to a source knowledgeable with the results of the Pentagon study. Members of Congress are to get an advance look at the study Tuesday.

The number opposing lifting the ban - known as "don't ask, don't tell" - fearing negative results "is very small when compared to those who say it will have positive or mixed results, or no effect at all," the source explained.

However, the source cautioned about taking the results as a true reflection of the entire force. The low number of respondents, just 28 percent of those who were sent the survey, means "the study only represents views, it doesn't mean everyone feels this way."
FULL STORY


Filed under: Don't Ask Don't Tell
soundoff (7 Responses)
  1. Emphasis on...

    "However, the source cautioned about taking the results as a true reflection of the entire force. The low number of respondents, just 28 percent of those who were sent the survey, means "the study only represents views, it doesn't mean everyone feels this way."

    November 30, 2010 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  2. Rick McDaniel

    That's because it doesn't actually change anything. The gays are already there, just not out in the open. So, all the govenrment is doing is denying basic human rights to an entire segment of the population........which is un-American.

    November 30, 2010 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  3. T'sah from Virginia

    How many surveys and polls are going to be taken from the American people who in reality – are FOR the repeal? Who skulls are we trying to penetrate to get across the fact that DADT should be repealed? Are we fighting John McCain – the Maverick???? Come on Now – DADT is as good a GONE!!!!

    Repeal DADT and get on with other problems of this country – like JOBS (no one is talking about it now). Where are the RepubliCAN'Ts??? Where's Boehner? They are awfully SILENT now? I guess they are "regrouping" and silent because of the meeting today with PO! They were afraid to LEAK OUT what they will discuss, knowing that the MEDIA will run away with it!!! This is why they DELAYED the meeting in the first place. They want to COME IN STRONG – stick to their TALKING POINTS – ram CRAP up everyone’s nose and DEMAN more of the SAME. President Obama will listen and then state what he is going to do and SLAP them BACK to REALITY (he better…LOL).

    President Obama, continue to MOVE AMERICA FORWARD and do whatever it takes to keep us on the right track!!!

    November 30, 2010 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  4. Reg

    You got that right. They don't care. I don't and most Americans don't care if a person is gay. I can't believe we are wasting time on that cr@p is what they are saying.

    November 30, 2010 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  5. American

    The majority of Americans, including honorable military men & women, want DADT repealed. End discriminatory policies once and for All.

    November 30, 2010 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  6. zb

    Another reason to be proud of our men and woman in uniform: unlike the Republican Party of lies, hate, and exploitation, our men and woman in uniform actually believe in the principles of freedom, equality, and democracy for which they serve. Doing the right thing should never be about surveys anyway.

    We can honor McCain's service and sacrifice but that still doesn't give him the right to be the bigot and two faced idiot he is. Thank goodness he is not our president and shame on him for giving us palin.

    November 30, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  7. disgusted

    If only 28% responded then obviously the other 72% didn't feel strongly enough about it to even respond.

    November 30, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |