McConnell warns of filibuster on tax bill
December 1st, 2010

McConnell warns of filibuster on tax bill

Washington (CNN) - Senate Republicans will filibuster any bill that doesn't extend Bush-era tax cuts to all income groups, Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell said Wednesday.

"The reality is that 42 Republican senators don't believe we should raise taxes on anybody, and there are also an indeterminate number of Democrats who agree with that," McConnell told CNN.

"You know how the Senate works," he said, referring to Senate rules that allow just 41 votes to filibuster legislation. "We're going to have an extension of all the current tax rates, the only issue is how long."

McConnell's comments came as talks were underway down the hall from his office between congressional Republicans and Democrats and White House officials about how to extend the Bush tax cuts.

It's no secret that this is the Senate Republican position on this issue, but for McConnell to be so blunt with demands even as bipartisan talks are underway suggests Republicans are not negotiating with flexibility.

Most Democrats are pushing for an extension of tax cuts just for families earning less that $250,000 a year although some have pushed to raise the threshold to $1 million. And as McConnell said, there are some Democrats who want extend all the tax cuts at least until the economy rebounds.

Earlier President Barack Obama spoke to reporters about the tax cut bill.

"I am confident that nobody wants to see taxes on middle-class families go up starting January 1st, and so there's going to be some lingering politics that have to work themselves out in all the caucuses, Democrat and Republican," Obama said. "But at the end of the day, I think that people of good will can come together."

Filed under: Mitch McConnell • Taxes
  1. Matt

Good. I hope the Democrats don't cave on this.

December 1, 2010 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  2. AqChicago

This old crooked man is dangerous for our country. He has sold his heart and soul to the lobbyists.

December 1, 2010 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  3. Son of CSM.Wiggins

We dare you Mitch you will loose power just as fast as you regained it . It's not what my country can do for me but what I can do for my country and right now that's pay a extra 3% of my income and help the middle class without adding more to the deficit. Jerk

December 1, 2010 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  4. Ron

Go ahead, Mitch. Do your thing. We'll see where it leads. LMAO!

December 1, 2010 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  5. GOP = Greed Over People

The Reds want tax cuts for the top 2% but want to stop unemployment benefits for 6 million unemployed.

Question for you "christian" cons.

How is that putting Christ back in Christmas?

Anyone?

December 1, 2010 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  6. Tiredoflies

Why shouldn't Bill Gates, Oprah, Donald Trump pay more taxes? Raise taxes on the mega rich and leave the non existent middle class alone.

Do what right for a change and NOT for your benefit.

December 1, 2010 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  7. Mike Dallas

WWJD?

Apparently give more gold coins to the rich, allow them to stay in the temple and throw the poor out into the streets!

If that is called "walking in Christ's footsteps", then I am proud to be a "heathen" and hell bound.

Who wants to spend an eternity with such selfish, hard hearted, self-righteous "christians"?

December 1, 2010 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  8. thomas

What a Spoiled BABY !

December 1, 2010 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  9. Jacob

oh wait, so the GOP is just sticking with their "do nothing" policies? pack of losers!

December 1, 2010 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  10. Debbie from Arizona

It seems to me that the Republicans are holding 97% of this country hostage. If they don't get to keep the Bush tax break for the richest 3%, they will not let unemployment continue, nor will they sign the STARK Treaty, or vote on the Dream Act. They seem like a bunch of school yard bullies. How they took over so many seats in Congress this mid-term is beyond me. I know I didn't vote for these people and I don't understand how anyone who was paying attention to what was going on did.

December 1, 2010 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  11. americacares88

"I see one-third of a nation ill-housed, ill-clad, and ill-nourished. The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." Second Inaugural Address, Washington, D.C., January 20, 1937.FDR. History is repeating itself thanks to the GOPs inability to learn from the mistakes of the past.

December 1, 2010 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  12. Marie MD

I guess that when you are a human tortoise (sorry tortoises of the world) you can stay hidden inside that shell and never run out of air.
    Those darn rethugs – only thinking about their rich friends. The hell with the middle class.
    If the "rich" have not created jobs in the last 10 years they are not going to create them now. Try another excuse as to why you want to help your own and not those who stupidly voted these rethugs in.
    That beind said, thanks (not really) to all independents who helped put these people in power again after we were royally screwed by the shrub's administration for eight loooooooooooong years!!!

December 1, 2010 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  13. Viet.Vet

So whats new Mitch, the party of no have been filbustering since Obama was elected, I guess the Repugs forgot, God don't like ugly, thousands of americans are suffering because of their hate for the President and lack of care for the less fortunate. The next two years they will have to govern, I guess the tea people will finally see behind the lies, smoke screen they were being fed in the last election cycle !Wakeup America, you were warned!!

December 1, 2010 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  14. maf

Pathetic McConnell, everyone keeps the extended tax cuts up to $250,000, after that the extension expires!
    The wealthy are NOT providing more jobs. What has happened is that every company has had to do the same amount of work with fewer staff on board. Companies are running lean and mean and not necessarily in a position or needing to add staff.
    This is a deep hole and filibustering any legislation going forward just means that political gridlock will continue until the GOP gets thrown out of their offices in 2012!!

December 1, 2010 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  15. rusty155

Listen the tax break are in place were are the jobs. There not going to bring jobs any faster if we extend bush tax cuts, all you REPUBLICAN want too do is help the RICH and BIG BUSINESS you don't care about the middle class or below as long as you can help the RICH that why we in the mess we are in now.

December 1, 2010 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  16. Jim

Democrats had their chance to ram something through and were to cowardly to raise taxes for fear of showing what they really believe. Good for McConnell. We elect people that don't like high taxes for a reason and at least they are up front about it. I have worked hard and made good money all my life and I take every deductiion and give to every charity I can to dilute my tax bill. All you idiot Democrats feel free to pay more – there is that option.

December 1, 2010 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  17. disgusted

The GOP disgusts me. Saying they will do the will of the people AND reduce the deficit. Instead they go against both, and they don't even have control of the house yet.

December 1, 2010 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  18. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

To everyone making less than $250,000 a year in NET income who voted for a Republican, I'd like to point out that your new "friend" is holding all of US hostage so that he/she can get more money for the Uber Rich at the expense of our future generations.

Good Job!

Smarter Yet? NO??? Just wait, this is only the beginning of the fiscal shakedown they have in store for America.

December 1, 2010 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  19. Jon

Oof. What a bloody mess.

December 1, 2010 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  20. Mollybee

We in Kentucky are so lucky to have the evil twins: Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul.

December 1, 2010 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  21. Patrick from Minnesota

Mitch McConnell is nothing but a sleazy extortionist. Who even voted for him?

December 1, 2010 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  22. Prof Carlos Penn

What about looking at cut in pay for all are elected officials ?

December 1, 2010 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  23. Charlie in Maine

Okay Dems now is your chance. I know it is not the best tax policy. The best would be the $250K limit that the President wants, but you should cahnge the limit to 1 million dollars. It will litterally be the GOP and the millionaires against the rest of us. Wall Street VS Main Street baby. Actually at $1,000,000 it is most of Wall Street and all of Main Street against "Easy Street" go for it. Stick to your guns and, if worse comes to worse you can always do what the GOP does...NOTHING. That is right do nothing fro the next month and all of the Bush Error tax cuts will expire and be swept into the garbage pail of History where they belong.

December 1, 2010 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  24. MadMN

Typical party of no reponse. Not willing to let a majority vote decide, they threaten to stop the extensions for everybody trying to look tough.

December 1, 2010 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  25. Reggie From LA

Let me try this again. I am not wealthy. I do not command legions of dollars. "I am you". Does that line sound familiar? On second thought, "I am not you and to heck with you if you believe that there is something economically redeeming about the rich whining about a few (to them) tax dollars. WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE THINK THE COUNTRY RUNS ON? The kindness of the rich. No. They just robbed you, well, for years actually. Pay your freaking taxes so we can build schools, pay teachers, create jobs. Now that job thing is a good one. Listen. Repeat after me. "I can help create jobs by giving very rich people more of my money." Then say, "I am as dumb as a box o' rox. I am raising Hell because I hate Obama and nothing else really matters." Apparently the welfare of America doesn't matter if you follow the GOP doctrine. Folks, they owe rich people for their election to office. Don't forget it.

December 1, 2010 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |