December 6th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards stops cancer treatment, releases statement

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards is surrounded by family and friends in her North Carolina home after being informed by her doctors that further cancer treatment would be unproductive.

"Elizabeth has been advised by her doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," the Edwards family said Monday in a statement. "She is resting at home with family and friends and has posted this message to friends on her Facebook page."

The message from Edwards, the wife of two-time presidential candidate John Edwards, reads:

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

"But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

Edwards was told by her doctors last week that additional cancer treatments were futile, said a source close to the family. Her prognosis was described in terms of weeks, not months, the source said.

She is receiving treatment and medications, however, for symptoms and side effects.

"She is not in pain, Elizabeth is in good spirits," said the source. "She has prepared for this"

John Edwards and their children are at her side, along with Elizabeth's brother and sister.

– CNN's John King and Raelyn Johnson contributed to this report

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards
  1. Karen

May she know peace and be free from suffering. She gave all she had to give, and you can only respect that. I hope her children don't end up with their dad – he is a jerk who doesn't respect women.

December 6, 2010 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. A. Goodwin

Even though her husband is a scum, Mrs. Edwards is nothing but classy...even in her dying days. May her final days be met with love and grace – everything she has shown to her family, friends, and the American public.

December 6, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  3. ATL Guy

Wow, sorry to hear that. I lost a brother to cancer earlier this year and also has an aunt who is battling very aggressive cancer. I pray for her.

December 6, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  4. jules sand-perkins

What an especially beautiful human being to speak that way!

December 6, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  5. e01938

really sad...she's had a rough couple of years.

December 6, 2010 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  6. tpge80

Keep fighting Elizabeth. Don't give up!

December 6, 2010 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  7. sharon in pittsburgh pa

Elizabeth we love you and our heart & prayers go with you & your family. You are the model of strength. Just remember God is always carrying us thru all things we go thru. Keep the faith. We love you

December 6, 2010 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  8. Oakton Tommy

I am very sorry to read this. She handled herself with grace during a personally very difficult time. Best wishes to her and her children.

December 6, 2010 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  9. phyllis sanders

I was hoping this beautiful lady would overcome her illness, but that has not happened. My heart goes out to her family.
    I will pray for her and her family. peace out.

December 6, 2010 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  10. NDGopherFan

How very sad. Here's hoping she's surrounded by love from family and friends at this time.

December 6, 2010 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  11. Bob Dog

More of the same from a woman who has always been so classy that she even made those around her better just because she rubbed off on them. I am at this moment stunned by her courage.

December 6, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  12. ScottTX

God Bless You, Elizabeth. May your remaining days be filled with love and comfort.

December 6, 2010 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  13. Kevin

Never give up!

December 6, 2010 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  14. Joyce

I had the opportunity to meet Elizabeth when she was in Iowa...she is an amazing, gracious woman and the world is a better place because of her!

December 6, 2010 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  15. redmonde

I really hate to hear her treatments are not working for her anymore.. I pray that she is able to enjoy her family and friends to the utmost and be able to continue on pain free and at total peace.. God Bless you Mrs. Edwards. I'm praying for you and your family strengths.

December 6, 2010 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  16. Karen grace

We will all see her on the other side. What a woman of serious character. God Bless on your journey.

December 6, 2010 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  17. Dyson

That is just so sad. I hope the rest of her life is filled with nothing but happiness.

December 6, 2010 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  18. rachele

I'm sad for her and her family. Unlike her creepy husband, she showed nothing but class during her life in the public eye. She rocks.

December 6, 2010 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  19. sharon in pittsburgh pa

The more I think about it the more I'm glad you're going to be gone soon. Your filth needs to be removed from this earth.

December 6, 2010 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  20. Charlotte Goulmy

That is soooo sad! What a lovely statement, what a great woman, so strong and dignified. I hope you'll have warm last days

December 6, 2010 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  21. stwebb

God bless you Elizabeth Edwards!

December 6, 2010 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  22. les2251

I was really hoping that she would survive long enough to raise those babies and not have to let their father have the responsibility of raising them. God Bless her. What a wonderful and classy lady she is.

December 6, 2010 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  23. ron

This brings great sadness to my heart. Peace

December 6, 2010 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  24. sherri

God bless you Elizabeth. May you find comfort and peace in your final days. You are a woman to be admired.

December 6, 2010 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  25. GianCarlo

We Love you Elizabeth. You are our role model. Your children should be very proud of you, to have you as a mother. Our prayers and love are with you. We love you dearly.

December 6, 2010 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |